The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 08, 2021, 07:52:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UK Shops Only Please! - in need of a jacket.  (Read 1070 times)
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« on: March 03, 2014, 08:36:06 am »

I often use a long brown farmers coats for the hunter version of me but I am in need of a short coat that makes me look more like a dock worker.
Ebay is flooded with "Punk" crap and I am having trouble locating the correct jacket.
Can anyone help?

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 10:36:45 am »

Unfortunately dock workers in the C19th didn't exactly have a uniform, and largely wore the same clothes as everyone else. Although you'd expect to see things like pea coats and donkey jackets. One was more of a Navel uniform at that time and the other didn't actually exist until later.

The precursor to the donkey jacket was the good ol' woolen sack coat.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have seen pictures of other styles that look a little more "workaday", but that was predominantly the one.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think the guy in the fore ground is wearing a longer length sack jacket squared off at the bottom as some of them were. Obviously they tended to have a naturally grubby and distressed look. Unfortunately, getting one made would set you back a pretty penny and you probably wouldn't want to be beating it up.

On the plus side, this style of jacket last briefly came back into fashion about fifteen years ago and could be found on the high street. So looking out for mens "vintage" Cheesy four button suit jackets is one option.

Exhibit A.

If that doesn't scream dock worker at you (which is understandable) then possibly a more vintage style of donkey Jacket might do the trick, (and with patience you should find one cheaper than that).

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 06:41:46 pm »

If that doesn't scream dock worker at you (which is understandable) then possibly a more vintage style of donkey Jacket might do the trick, (and with patience you should find one cheaper than that).

Ouu, cheers mate, ebay is flooded with those nasty punk style military jackets but this looks good!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: