The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 04:32:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Dalmation' trousers  (Read 1696 times)
Susannah
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: February 25, 2014, 09:53:04 pm »

Some of you will know I have a guide dog. For the relevancy of this post you need to know she is all black.

Now I found a cinch belt, patterned similar to a black and white cow! And then a black and white spotty Victorian-ish shirt which I thought would be very nice with the belt.

....then I found some black and white spotty trousers in a charity shop and the idea of yet another outfit was born - 101 Dalmatians and I am wearing my dogs 'missing' spots!! I know it's a modern film but hey, a bit a fun is allowed I feel into Victorian attire !

The question is where as shirt is Victorian styled the trousers are not . They are more like straight legged cotton jeans would be the best way to describe them. How can I make them more steampunk? I can add some lace to the ankles, but I don't want to hide the pattern too much as that is obviously the fun here. 

Ideas ?
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 12:04:28 am »

Sew some frilly edging down the trouser seams.  Sew some of the same around the shirt collar so that they match.  Make a long frilly bustle to go over the back of the trousers to echo the 1880's.  And of course a jaunty hat.
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 03:43:39 am »

I did think about bustle and even thought about ad dining a 'tail' to it but I then thought it turns more into fancy dress than steampunk. Frills are relatively easy though. Just wasn't sure about tne bustle. At least my image of an external bustle.

Trousers seem to be the worse thing to try and steam punk.
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 03:47:26 am »

I did also contemplate cutting the trousers into plus fours and using remaining material somehow to bustle, though I don't think there would be much and once I have taken the snip then they are all gone! I had to be sure of what I was doing !
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 10:49:10 pm »

You are right, there is not enough material in trouser legs to make into anything except maybe a bag.
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 10:59:32 pm »

I did think of getting a triangle of furry black for each leg. Cut up to the knee, and so in the fur triangles to make the look more flared. I can also possible add some metal buttons and actually even hang a small dog collar or two on the trousers as decoration. That would add some novelty- if not much in the way of victoriana !
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 08:52:57 pm »

Hmm, I'm not sure that black fur will be nice. 

I wear a dog collar as a bracelet sometimes.  It is copper and pink with little paw-prints all over.
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 10:31:26 pm »

Why don't you think black fur will be nice?
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 10:04:47 pm »

First of all the fur will probably be heavier than the trouser material so it will not hang nicely.  Secondly when your photo is taken (which it will be) the black fur will not show up; thirdly fur fabric looks very artificial and therefore is difficult to combine with steampunk style.  And finally some people will not get it so maybe you could think about getting some fabric with dalmatian dogs on it to make it more obvious what the joke is.
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 10:42:26 pm »

I actually saw some fleece material very similar pattern to what the belt looks like,

However the main thing is your point about needing material or something with Dalmatians on, your right, I need something to make the joke obvious.
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 11:09:06 pm »

Actually thinking about it now I am not sure how to portray the joke at all.

How do I say  'the spots landed on me and missed the dog !'

Do I somehow make the handle I hold the dog as some sort of spot transfer magnet up my Arm

Or perhaps it's better if I make a topper for my top hat with a bent arrow and wording 'Dalmation spot delivery' - but the Arriw is bent which is why I have got the spots - the wording I suggest here is not catchy enougjy but just a late night example off what I could do . 
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 04:45:30 pm »

Yes - the joke is they have misfired amd landed on me - so I suppose the arrow should point to the dog.

It's not a catchy enough phrase. I need to think on it but the idea is there
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 08:46:23 am »

"I've been spotted!" She said as she ducked for cover, her plus fours and gaiters with black buttons still visible despite her attempts to pull her black and white hat down to cover her face.

(aka, plus fours with white gaiters with large black buttons like spots, over black shoes, and use the fabric taken from the trousers to make a hat. maybe white gloves with black buttons also)

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 10:18:38 am »

Yes that sounds possible and good - an over big black hat with eyes cut out for goggles to see out might add.

Maybe on the dogs harness a 'think bubble' of her dreams to be a dalmation? 
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 01:06:48 pm »

Some of you will know I have a guide dog. For the relevancy of this post you need to know she is all black.

But surely a dalmatian is a white dog with black spots.. so it's the white bit surrounding the spots that's missed the dog, not the spots?

You could make a travelling bag (the shape of a carpet bag comes to mind) and give it an outer cover of short-nap white fur, where you've cut out the dalmatian holes to reveal a contrast fabric underneath.  However, it's less that the spots missed the dog and hit you and more that you're Cruella and have taken a wafer-thin scalping of your dog!

Plan B, a white overcoat for the dog with cut-outs either for dalmatian spots or zebra stripes.. then give the dog a set of wire-frame glasses and rename it Leclerc.. .."It is I, Leclerc.Cheesy
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 01:14:01 pm »

I know the black and white should be the other way round. But artistic liberty of how to use a dotty victorian shirt and how to involve my dog - who won't be dressed. So it all has tone done by inference
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 01:16:39 pm »

Also it's not so much that I was trying to be cruella. Just use a 'inverted ' dalmation theme with a jet black dog.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 11:55:39 pm »

Give the dog a big dalmation bow around its neck.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 08:03:58 am »

how about a fleece cover for the hat and some puttees made from the same material? you could even make a sort of skirt from the fleece too, a simple large tube of the cloth with a draw string waist so that it bunches and pleats sort of on it's own. wear it high waisted over the jeans. that or make a dalmation sash  out of it for your waist to blend the jeans a bit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: