The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 07:50:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk outfits for Project Runway tv show  (Read 2275 times)
Armydillo978
Officer
United States United States

« on: February 25, 2014, 02:43:19 am »

I'm a big fan of cooking and fashion shows.  Project Runway is about fashion designers who create various outfits during challenges (like many reality shows).  Different themes, different outfits, all with prizes and elimination of contestants.  This coming thursday,  challenge#8 is for the designers to come up with and create a steampunk inspired outfit.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/under-the-gunn 

is the show link.  It should be on Thursday night at 9pm on the Lifetime channel.

If someone beat me to the punch on this, sorry for the doublepost. Did a quick search and didn't see anything about it.

Thanks

----------------------
"Sometimes you roll the dice and come up with craps."
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 03:58:05 am »

I'm a big fan of cooking and fashion shows (snip) 

Not to worry, we all have our crosses to bare. Wink

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

mgfarley
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 10:30:40 am »

It's not the first time steampunk has made a foray into reality TV. A couple of years ago America's Next Top Model did a steampunk photoshoot: http://io9.com/5947996/top-model-does-steampunk-thinks-steampunk-means-owl

Here's a selection:

I'm not sure why there are owls in every picture... Stick Some Owls On It And Call It Steampunk?

IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 12:10:59 pm »

If it were this owl then yes...

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
dreambig
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 04:09:00 am »

It's not the first time steampunk has made a foray into reality TV. A couple of years ago America's Next Top Model did a steampunk photoshoot: http://io9.com/5947996/top-model-does-steampunk-thinks-steampunk-means-owl

Here's a selection:

I'm not sure why there are owls in every picture... Stick Some Owls On It And Call It Steampunk?

Ooooh I like!
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 11:31:15 am »

I personally find this a touch horrifying. Where is the bawdiness? Where is the buxom? Where are the naughty ether shanties? Where is the idiom behind the look? What the plonking bollards has that ruddy owl (it looks really unhappy by the way) got to do with anything? If they wanted to test their capacity to get into character they should have given them all guns. wide caliber, bad ass, rotating barrels, the works.

An Owl, really?

"I'm sorry sir, I realize that you have been working on steam engines for your entire adult life, have a degree in occult summoning and can whip a batch of wicked strength liquor with your eyes closed. But despite your wonderfully dappa threads and impeccable manners I'm afraid you cannot call yourself "steampunk" for the very simple reason that you are missing a well taxidermied Strigimorphae."
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 01:15:52 pm by Clym Angus » Logged

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 01:05:25 pm »

Um, that Owl is from a kind-of cult classic movie.
Which I am unable to look up on this p.o.s. iPhone right now. It is not from the tv show.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 01:19:39 pm »

Which I am unable to look up on this p.o.s. iPhone right now. It is not from the tv show.

I have clarified with an image: My issue is not with the mechanical owl, the mechanical owl is lovely. It was named Bubo and is the most famous mechanical owl in all of history.
Armydillo978
Officer

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 12:35:25 am »

I have clarified with an image: My issue is not with the mechanical owl, the mechanical owl is lovely. It was named Bubo and is the most famous mechanical owl in all of history.

In one movie and talked about in another.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 02:45:53 am »

Is it the mechanical owl from 'The Clash of the Titans?'  Athena, the goddess of wisdom's, pet or symbol?

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 12:56:01 pm »

Yup! He makes cameos in the most recent versions.
Clash Of The Titans - Bubo The Golden Owl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: