The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 06:45:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Military steampunk  (Read 1556 times)
thompa
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: February 24, 2014, 11:33:41 pm »

I’m new to the whole steampunk thing but after seeing the steampunk display at the London expo last October.
I usually re-enact and I am planning to make a costume of a Bavarian air marine on board a zeppelin which I am basing on a first world war German uniform I already have a tunic, trousers, belt and  buckle, Victorian webbing pouches, boots and leather gaiters.
I am stuck on what type of headwear to get as I dislike the spiked helmet and I would also like to know what else I could add to the costume
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 12:04:05 am »

I really like the caps they wore in WWI, they seem ideal (to me) for work on an airship, no brim to catch the wind and whip it off.

Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 05:39:19 am »

I've seen a couple of italian tanker helmets for sale that are amazingly similar to the german pilot hard helmets from ww1. m35 italian tankers helmet. slap some insignia and goggles on one of those.

that cap looks good, but it could use a fold under ear guard/chin strap. like on a service cap.
thompa
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 08:02:23 pm »

thanks for the suggestions I think I will get one of the first war caps.
I also plan to get one of the tankers helmets as they look brilliant but I cant afford one at the moment. Ill take a picture when I have the cap and some goggles.
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 08:14:22 pm »

Remember that all clothing and everyday equipment would be non-sparking for use on-board a zeppelin (so non-metal, or brass/bronze only).  There's a nice clip of metal items being confiscated before boarding near the start of the film Hindenburg (1975).
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Take my camel, dear. . . .

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 11:42:03 pm »

My Dear Fellow,
Do look at Retronaut's military fashion catalogue: http://www.retronaut.com/2014/03/stokes-illustrated-almanac-fashion/
There are some dashing Zouave outfits, and as a bonus on p. 16, a picture of ironclads.
C.W.

Take my camel, dear, said my aunt Camellia, climbing down from that animal on her return from high mass. The camel, a white Arabian Dhalur (single hump) from the famous herd of the Ruola tribe, had been a parting present, its saddle-bags stuffed with low-carat [sic] gold and flashy orient gems, from a rich desert tycoon. . . .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: