The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 09, 2021, 08:08:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tails - what is your opinion?  (Read 1047 times)
Susannah
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: February 20, 2014, 06:44:25 pm »

Ok - I am thinking of getting some tails which would look good with my vintage jodphurs but also could be used as dress tails as if I was an orchestral musician.

The question is do I go for double breasted equestrians tails, or single breasted morning suit ? It would be good to just have one which would do both.

But I can't decide which way to do it? I have found cheap green morning suit, which would probably look quite nice on lady - not being black. (Though it is a mans) or a black dark navy double breasted equestrian - meant for a lady.

What do you reckon?

Susannah
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 07:54:18 pm »

They're both great, and I believe both can come in single or double breasted styles, but they do different jobs. Morning (Newmarket) coats, as the name suggests were traditionally day wear like frock coats. The cutaway tails were evening wear, or became so during the later C19th anyway.

I guess the compromise would be the cutaway daywear coat of the Beau Brummel era (if you can acquire one).

If you're in the mood for a long dry read about all this, these guys often deliver that in spades. Cheesy

http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3350

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 12:03:41 am »

Ok - I am thinking of getting some tails which would look good with my vintage jodphurs but also could be used as dress tails as if I was an orchestral musician.

The question is do I go for double breasted equestrians tails, or single breasted morning suit ? It would be good to just have one which would do both.

But I can't decide which way to do it? I have found cheap green morning suit, which would probably look quite nice on lady - not being black. (Though it is a mans) or a black dark navy double breasted equestrian - meant for a lady.

What do you reckon?

Susannah

The double-breasted dressage tail coat looks wonderful, but especially when seated.

For standing around drinking champaign or Pimm's, I think a single breasted morning coat is nicer.

--
Keith
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 12:09:38 am »

I actually went for the single breasted in the end as it was cheaper. It also finished sooner on e bay. I didn't know how the bidding might take off for the double breasted one so decided to hedge my bets on the green one. At least green will be a nice change from the usual black and grey that these affairs are usual made up in.

Not quite decided on quite how I shall elaborate it yet, or if I should elaborate the waist Coat only . I need to dwell on all that a little longer
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 04:18:49 am »

I tend to go for frock coats instead of tails for various reasons. Besides, I prefer the tail I was born with Er, shut yer yap, MW.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 01:49:19 am »

Obviously, you should get the other one too! And post pictures?

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 09:49:32 am »

When I have some more money I will. I have spent far too much at the moment - got too carried away with making costumes.
Kimchi
Swab

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 04:07:47 am »

Oh as an Equestrain, I vote the equestrian tails! and throw a top hat in!

ahh so much you could do with the points and matching handkerchief too!

but that is just my opinion and I really might be biased.

sorry didn't read the thread I got so excited but the above argument with the points and handkerchief is a good one, how ever having looked in to  shadbelly's I know they are very pricy and I fully understand your decision.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 04:12:03 am by Kimchi » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: