The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 16, 2018, 09:59:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assisstance required locating area for colonisation; Inquiries Within.  (Read 26765 times)
Samuel
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Back for the memories

« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2007, 08:03:21 am »

I want snow for part of the winter. How else will my horseless steam-sled be used?

Tank tops and short shorts made of denim are hereby outlawed. As is playboy bunny logo paraphernalia and bikinis. Automobiles that are distinctly modern in all appearances will be severely frowned upon and we will all look down our noses at overly modern dressed individuals. 

While we're at it lets ban socks & sandals. Just because.

Unless, they're traditional dressed japanese.

Only exception.

-Sam.
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2007, 05:46:38 pm »

Wait? We ban socks worn with sandals, right? Because banning socks, well ..I'd just have to kill you! What kind of place has socks banned!
Anyway, as for a coin design, I'm making one as we speak and shall post it later. Also, why not just have a mahusive floating raft that we can drive around the ocean. It would be so much simpler. Although I do like the whole islands idea. Alternativley Venice would be nice if turned steampunk.
I shall also get working on her kingships Horseless steam-sled right away!  ..you haven't designed it already have you?
We also need a country Name and flag. A national anthem would be nice too.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 06:10:12 pm by Bracer » Logged

Keep it unreal.
Angel
Zeppelin Captain

Chrome dome, goggles on, dressed all in rubber...

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2007, 07:06:41 pm »

We have a name.

"Victoriana"

"With a rifle, you can kill one man; but with a machine gun, you can make a whole army keep its head down." - Jeremy Clarkson

Buns are obviously not designed for their aerodynamic properties.
Bracer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2007, 07:13:05 pm »

Sorry, I missed that. *Embaressment* Thank you for pointing that out.
Insanity
Officer

Baron Von Sasha, The Sasha of All Ages

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2007, 01:22:02 am »

Excellent, we have a name and location. We do need a flag, money, and an anthem, but I'm not in as big a rush for the anthem.

As for The Great Tank Top Debate of '07, As long as it is appropriate to the outfit, and is buttoned up past the mid chest region, sleeveless is fine. Collar size and shape will have to be revisited by me at a later time.

Her Majesty, the King
TheKiltedStranger
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2007, 02:32:11 am »

Wait, what location? That Victoria place? And, if so, why not just the whole of Vancouver Island?
Keithe
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Minister of Ambiguity, Indeterminacy and Vagueness

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2007, 02:45:37 am »

Wait, what location? That Victoria place? And, if so, why not just the whole of Vancouver Island?

Details, details...don't worry about the location, more importantly we need to design the currency, flag, laws, national costume, etc...the location we can worry about later.

Also if you want snow, Victoria is not the place to choose, but it has lots of rain.  Smiley
Dusza Beben
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2007, 03:10:13 am »

I would like the title of "her Kingship". Who says a female can't be king? Certainly not me or God. He told me so just last week.

~gratuitous Monty Python reference~

King? I didn't vote for you...

~gratuitous Monty Python reference~

DB

Brought to you by, Muahahahah INC, we add the "muaha" to your "hahah"
Taluria
Snr. Officer

Sometimes it just feels better to hide.

Holli_Tal
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2007, 03:42:49 am »

I request the position of Archivist/Librarian if this should come to pass. Either that or the person who gets to chase away annoying tourists, preferably whilst wielding a large deathray.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 09:56:58 pm by Taluria » Logged

Lilian Aston Talbot of the International Cryptozoological and Supernatural Research Society.
"Oh yes, I research and look for mythical beasts. Sea serpents, Phoukas, good men... That sort of thing."
http://twitter.com/OfTheICaSRS
Samuel
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Back for the memories

« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2007, 06:19:13 am »

Details, details...don't worry about the location, more importantly we need to design the currency, flag, laws, national costume, etc...the location we can worry about later.

Also if you want snow, Victoria is not the place to choose, but it has lots of rain.  Smiley

Quite! I believe the currency is the Victoriana Pound. Costume? I would assume if it is generally steampunk/victorian looking, you are socially acceptable. as her kingship said, she will look down her nose towards any modern dress!

laws people can put up and poll for. anyone like the idea? people are free to post their own laws, but they should be polled for... speaking of which, should we do a census for us? who wants their citizenship, you know? that way we can gauge and tailor things to numbers...

what do you want for the flag design?
A.Seafaire
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2007, 07:35:59 am »

Will there be any requirements for citizenship? A tithing of one mechanical minion for our most glorious King?
Samuel
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Back for the memories

« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2007, 07:59:21 am »

For the love of god man! don't offer tribute! She'll take EVERYTHING! Tongue

seriously? I suppose just contribution to the Colony of Victoriana and genuine interest in the idea of a Steampunk colony/country/commune would be all. I suppose there will be one or two requirements suggested by other forum goers; but i doubt you'll be selling your soul/being conscripted into a clockwork army anytime soon.

Dusza Beben
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2007, 01:31:01 pm »

My wife is designing a passport for Burning Man next year. Your citizenship papers could look similar.
http://www.arborealarts.com/passports/steampunk.htm
That or a simple "Green Card"

DB

Insanity
Officer

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2007, 02:11:50 pm »

Of course we'll take the entire island.
TheKiltedStranger
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2007, 05:34:48 pm »

Oh. Well, good.
Stefan Freestate
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Impresario of His Own Life's Circus

« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2007, 10:55:16 pm »

My wife is designing a passport for Burning Man next year. Your citizenship papers could look similar.

I was going to say, there is a whole thread devoted to creating a Steampunk/Neo-Vic/Dieselpunk colony, for a temporary period at least, at Burning Man 2008.

Why don't you good folk commit to join us? Live the dream for a week?

Relinquo vos liberos.
Angel
Zeppelin Captain

Chrome dome, goggles on, dressed all in rubber...

« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2007, 11:25:15 pm »

DB

I'd prefer a brass/brown Card.
SteampunkBuilder
Zeppelin Admiral

EGAD! A miscreant Venusian rock-heater beetle!

« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2007, 01:38:05 am »

Why not have it be a chain of islands, kind of like Hawaii? "The Unified Islands of Victoriana". Inter-Island transport could be achieved via both zeppelin and steamer...

You are almost there my good man, but you have yet to take the final leap.  Who has need of islands when one has a fleet of steamers and dirigibles? 

MY MODEST PROPOSAL:  Utilize quantities of steamers and dirigibles grouped together to form cities which float on their respective media.  Once we have the terrestrial technology in place, we develop our Aether cities to colonize the other planets. 

Barsoom here we come!

God bless Victoriana!

Laird Douglas, Independent Adventurer
Minister of Conservancy and Proliferation

Forge from the Steampunk X-Men, winners of the Dragon*Con 2010 Masquerade.
http://dailydragon.dragoncon.org/wp-content/uploads/IMG_6601-600x400.jpg

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” Einstein
TheKiltedStranger
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2007, 04:05:18 am »

Soooo... make "Waterworld"?
Insanity
Officer

« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2007, 06:14:32 am »

I like this idea, but say it should be utilized only to increase our territory beyond that of our island. I would still like some land under my feet for 5 of 7 days. Completely on water is a bit like placing all one's eggs in a basket.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2007, 02:19:47 pm »

It also means farming might not go that well. Not sure how to get fresh water either.

I still say Canada is the best place.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Bracer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2007, 03:15:00 pm »

I belive I've already suggested a floating platform, though several could be more practical. And yes, farming probably would be a problem, but you could just boil the water and hey presto! No salt mines needed either!
And her kingships idea of land with off-shore boats has already been used, to and extent.
I don't want to blow my own trumpet, but on my SteamPunk RPG forum the poorer people live on platforms held up by pillars that are attatched together and then to the land.
Anyway, we still need a flag. Any suggestions?
SteampunkBuilder
Zeppelin Admiral

EGAD! A miscreant Venusian rock-heater beetle!

« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2007, 06:04:51 pm »

*Ugh*  No, ours would be COOL!
Insanity
Officer

« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2007, 02:54:14 am »

*Ugh*  No, ours would be COOL!

Kevin Costner's not invited.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2007, 12:06:36 pm »

This whole Victoriana place would probably never have many citizens. So perhaps an approach similar to what was done with Christiania in the 70s is best. Are there any abandonded military bases or similar in the UK? Otherwise I was told by a friend that certain parts of Rostock, Germany has become quite depopulated.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: