The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 16, 2018, 09:54:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assisstance required locating area for colonisation; Inquiries Within.  (Read 26764 times)
TheKiltedStranger
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2007, 04:49:38 am »

"He wouldn't write down 'aaaargh'."
"Perhaps he was dictating."
Bracer
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2007, 03:43:39 pm »

Okay, if Van Gast is the Minister of those types of transport, canI be the Minister of abserd transport? i.e. Monowheels, one man derigibles, steampowered gliders or jetpacks..that sort of stuff.

And to continue a brilliant quote:
"Ooooh!"
"No, Aaaaah!"
"Aaaaah!"
"That's better ..Aaaaaah!"
Not sure if I got that right, but the spirit's still there.

Keep it unreal.
Von Gast
Zeppelin Admiral

Gentleman Racer and Explorer

« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2007, 09:06:02 pm »

Ok, Von Gast, I hereby elect you Minister of Trams, Trains, and Ferries. Penny-farthings are out of your jurisdictions, I'm afraid.

Thank you! Now to find some suitable designs...

There are still a few turbine steamer ferries about, mostly laid up and in need of some work. Any takers for a bit of mechanical work followed by a sea voyage?
Bracer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2007, 09:43:14 pm »

That sounds positivley Exuberating! But alas, if I'm to be the minister for absurd transport, I probably shouldn't. Though I will wave hello from my one-man, man-powered dirigible of my own design. Then maybe land on your steamer when I get out of breath.
TheKiltedStranger
« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2007, 11:17:12 pm »

There are still a few turbine steamer ferries about, mostly laid up and in need of some work. Any takers for a bit of mechanical work followed by a sea voyage?
[/quote]

Ooo! Pick me, pick me!
Dusza Beben
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #105 on: October 23, 2007, 04:31:11 am »

I volunteer for the position of the dangerous and feared yet uncannily likeable rogue air pirate that prowls the skies for tea and treasure and gives your air marshal the slip with a sly wink and an unforgettable laugh. (Did I mention makes the ladies swoon?)

DB

Brought to you by, Muahahahah INC, we add the "muaha" to your "hahah"
Insanity
Officer

Baron Von Sasha, The Sasha of All Ages

« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2007, 02:48:11 pm »

Bracer, I hereby elect you Minister of Absurd Transport. Now, please, get to work on my hover bike.

Mr. Beben, you pirate for the country now. I hereby elect you to the office of Supplies Acquisition.

Her Majesty, the King
Von Gast
Zeppelin Admiral

Gentleman Racer and Explorer

« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2007, 03:08:23 pm »

Ooo! Pick me, pick me!
[/quote]

http://www.hhvferry.com/ne_1_2.html

We can either take the Tuxedo Royale (which will be returned to her original name Dover before she goes anywhere!) or the Tuxedo Princess (returned to the original name Caledonian Princess). I think the former will probably be easier to remove without anyone noticing. Rip out the ghastly club decor and install a suitably steampunk interior, and she'll be ideal!

I think these are both turbine steamers. The site isn't clear about that though.
Bracer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2007, 06:55:06 pm »

Of course your Kingship, but I must know, have you a cheuffer or do you drive yourself?

I have a basic idea in mind: A boiler at the front/middle which powers two continuous jets of steam from either side of the front, facing downwards. At the back is one jet which runs off a seperate boiler which will be more powerful, which points diagonaly down and backwards. Turning and so on I will ge to later, once I know if you have a Cheuffer or not.
Drake White
Zeppelin Admiral

Airship privateer & clockwork technologist.

« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2007, 04:47:07 am »

Doesn't everyone have a clockwork chauffeur?
Bracer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2007, 11:17:11 am »

Unfortunately not. There has been a massive sortage ever since Big Ben was made. Damn political show offs. Anywho, I'm sure her Kingship, being the ruler of a SteamPunk nation, could get one, which is basically my question.
Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth
« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2007, 11:31:38 am »

Back to geographic location:
Vancouver island is frankly out of the question, as is anywhere wet, coastal or hot.
Sorry, but that's the way it is.
I don't want to seem pushy or anything, but it's just not feasible.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 11:58:15 am by Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth » Logged
TheKiltedStranger
« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2007, 02:59:16 pm »

Really? Why is that?
« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2007, 03:07:53 pm »

The city's going to be built out of cast iron, red sandstones and limestone, yes?
Have you seen what saltwater does to cast iron? It'd not last more than 50 years.
MrsGodmother
« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2007, 04:19:43 pm »

Back to geographic location:
Vancouver island is frankly out of the question, as is anywhere wet, coastal or hot.

I think 'coastal' is an important asset!  It's not good to be land-locked, how else will you reach the submarines?  Are there any up and coming undersea volcanoes we can assist in becoming rather useful islands in the near future?  That might be a safer bet, as both sea and air transportation will be at our disposal.

I'm working on a flag design, and will post the results for your perusal (and possible approval) on the morrow, hopefully.
Bracer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2007, 07:38:53 pm »

Yes, coastal was a very important issue. Says so earlier in the thread.
I can't wait to see the flag! What's the colour sceme? Brown and Brass I hope.
« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2007, 09:08:19 pm »

If you're dead set on it, then i'm not going to argue.
Hmmm....If i'm to contribute to this, i'd better think of a way to keep the iron safe...
TheKiltedStranger
« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2007, 09:19:12 pm »

Good plan! I'd think the benefits of an abundance of geothermal power outweigh having a house rust out from beneath your feet. I mean, come on, man, think priorities!
Bracer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2007, 09:38:31 pm »

It won't be just iron you know, this is SteamPunk after all, don't forget all the brass and bits of copper.

Samuel
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Back for the memories

« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2007, 09:53:15 am »

Wow. my aethernet goes down and the thread has evolved!

how about making me a Governor-general your kingship?

-Sam.
« Reply #120 on: October 26, 2007, 10:48:06 am »

Hmm....Coastal, with geothermal power and emerging undersea volcanoes...
Iceland, anyone?
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #121 on: October 26, 2007, 10:50:32 am »

Iceland even has it´s own natural steam engines.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
« Reply #122 on: October 26, 2007, 11:14:50 am »

See?
Also, to whomever's in charge of the coin design, do get a move on, old chap? The sooner you produce it, the sooner I can make a copy!
von Brasswood
Zeppelin Captain
Norway Norway

Master of Graphical Marvel

« Reply #123 on: October 26, 2007, 11:28:42 am »

*smacks forehead*

*dropping top hat*

It's quite obvious: the city of Victoria, on Vancouver Island.

Been there. Lovely!

Also, the old part of Vancouver, Gastown, with its clock running on steam only (they talked of changing this), is great for any steampunker.

But for Victoriana, I second Iceland, except that it's a tad cold in the winters.

I could make a coin design, or did someone actually say they'd do it? (Haven't read the whole thread)

"Steam punk is like a top hat: You can watch it from different angles and enjoy different things about it, and there are no single hat that fits everyones head."
- vonB
Bracer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #124 on: October 26, 2007, 07:45:45 pm »

I tried, but I'm terrible on all graphics things I have. Except paint, but it's too hard on that. I can send you everything I got done if you want. I think I still have it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: