The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 08, 2021, 08:08:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Developing a Post Apocalypse (Dieselpunk ish) Outfit  (Read 9539 times)
Sebastian Dante
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: February 19, 2014, 06:43:11 pm »

I'm fiddling with, developing and working on a sort of Dieselpunk, post apocalyptic style look, based around a few of the things I am working on.

This is the first, very basic look (considering trialing at Surrey Steampunk Convivial at weekend)

This is a work in progress so still more to add and work on, but I would really like constructive feedback. There are already bits I want to change and bits that will change, but ideas on how to change these would be really appreciated.
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 10:13:42 pm »

Neither dieselpunk or mens attire are much of an area of expertise for me, but here is my tuppence worth anyway:

I think the vest, goggles and other accessories are all great but I feel that the brown sleeveless top underneath is letting them down a little. The colour works, although I'm sure there are other colours that would look good too, but I think it's a little plain and neat for a post-apocalytpic look. Maybe a collarless button down shirt instead? Perhaps with the sleeves removed a little 'hastily' and fraying, so that the arm accessories aren't obscured? The black trousers seem a little out of place with all the brown too (unless some accessories are black, hard to tell with my computer monitor), maybe a black shirt would help tie them the trousers? Or swap them?

It's a good start though and I'm sure that even if you don't have time to make changes, it will go down well at the weekend =]

What footwear do you have? I think some rugged looking boots would work well. That may just be my fondness for beat-up looking comfy boots though!

I'm sure you'll get better advice from others too!

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 11:43:13 pm »

Good start so far.

The best thing to do with Post-Apocalyptic stuff is to think: function and individuality.  
You need to make things tell a story.  Rip a hole somewhere and patch and/or sew it up.  You know because the one time a stray dog decided it wanted to eat you.  I've actually played with fire before on some of my post-apocalyptic and steampunk things to give it that much more worn out, I was in a bad place look.  With things other than black (or even black) cook dinner, work in the garden, work on the car, roll around in the dirt a bit wearing them.  A little shoe polish or a dip in a bath of instant coffee and salt doesn't hurt too much either. As far as individuality goes, if you are essentially walking around as a nomad or part of a group, consider how you would want people to recognize you.  Are you the guy who scalps people or are you the one who wants people to know that you are spreading the word of some philosophy or another.  

With function, what is your primary job....or is it survival?  Try doing tasks and see how things work and modify them as such.  

Also ask yourself what post-apocalyptic means to you.  Is it a month after when most of your stuff is still in good shape or is it three years later when your zipper wore out and you had to replace it with ties or toggles and your pants have been patched so many times they may as well just be patches?  Also is there surviving infrastructure?  If somebody in your colony has set up a generator, then nicely tailored things would not be out of the question.  (when working post-apocalypse I often turn to photos from various long term military operations, civil wars, and countries that are in a state of unrest, it helps you see how real people handle things in a similar situation)  

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 05:57:47 am »

I hope it doesn't offend you when I say at the moment it all looks a bit Cybergoth to me. I'd put that down in no small part to the cap sleeve tee shirt and the fact the clothes are very dark.

Mad Max 2 is a very obvious reference for this kind of thing, BUT! when thinking of it folks often conjure up images of the leather clad, fetishistic and often quite camp clothing of the bike gangs or Max himself, and often forget about these guys.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also very stylised obviously, and Virginia Hey certainly has that post apocalipstick thing going on. But still I personally found their dress a tad more believable. Worn knitted materials, scarves, lighter coloured armour pieces might be one thing to consider. It worked quite nicely for The Matrix too (when they weren't poncing around in designer leather gear).

So yes I agree with Mr Oakes, don't be afraid to rip things up a bit. or yourself for that matter. Have a look at some of the Partisans and Guerilla/Militia groups from various historical conflicts. Just as today, these guys n gals "uniforms" were often put together from their own civilian wear plus whatever they could capture or scrounge up. I would imagine a post apocalyptic world would be rather scavengy, but if you want a Dieselpunk vibe, consider clothing more commonly found during those time periods and then distress and embellish.

Combine all that with a pinch of period industrialization and see what you get.

Just my suggestions anyway.  Smiley

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Sebastian Dante
Officer

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 11:13:15 am »

I think Argus has hit the nail on the head of why I wasn't particularly liking the first attempt. It does look rather Cybergoth at the moment. I'm hoping it will begin to look more steampunk with some of the additions that are in the pipeline, but my main issue currently is I'm not happy with the main body of clothes (as has been pointed out in comments).

I had considered using a shirt and removing sleeves, but I wasn't sure whether it would look right, but I agree that the cap tee probably needs changing out for something better (suggestions on this would be well received). I'm also thinking of swapping out the trousers (black jeans at the moment, because it was the best I had) with black combats and then beating them up to a level I'm happy with.

On the boots front Phoenix, battered is the way to go. I have a beaten up pair of Dr Martens that should work.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 12:24:15 pm »

You could get some genuine old WW2 combats. If not WW2 then post war as long as they are already faded, worn, maybe have a few patches? Maybe one of those German army shirts..the thick cotton ones..again faded, worn looking, perhaps add a few new rips and stains of your own?. Nothing says 'non Apocalyptic' than brand new clothing.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 03:59:19 pm »

I think you should backlight the canisters on the mask with red or green LEDs, but then I think everything should be backlit with LEDs...  Grin

This is what I did with a very similar mask for my boy, to give you an idea of what I mean (it's a larger version of my avatar pic):

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
Sebastian Dante
Officer

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 06:44:42 pm »

It's not shown in the picture, but the canisters are red filtered and backlight with white LEDs. Not as powerful as your work sir, generally needs to be dark to show the full effect, but they do glow. I may at some point post a picture to show the effect.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 07:21:38 pm »

There's nothing wrong with wearing a tee shirt as such. Again I don't know how cool (as in temperature) you want this costume to be. There are just details that make things seem a little older style I suppose.

So rip the sleeves off one of these maybe?

Or leave them on, just as good (this is actually a 7 button Henley Jackman's wearing apparently)

Bit of tea staining on a white one, or drab olive dye perhaps. I think a sleeveless shirt and waistcoat would look good over one of those, but I tend to like layering anyway.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 10:23:22 am »

I agree a long sleeve shirt of a well worn look and possibly tear off at least one sleeve, to expose the gauntlet? on the other sleeve burn a small oval hole and add a bit of bloodstain around that.

like it was said, everything should tell a story.

you could make a little bit of armor for it too, I've seen that expanded foam floormat material with the raised diamondplate metal look embossed into it. you could use a piece of that to make an upper armpiece. think sort of like gladiator armor. you can drybrush silver paint to the black rubber and it will make the texture really stand out and look metallic.

you can just curve the rubber by attaching it to a tube of cloth, thinning the backing of the foam where needed. you can also make a facetted plate by cutting troughs in the backing so it will bend along specific lines and glue the troughs shut or leave them open and let your cloth tube hold them to shape.
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 02:31:34 pm »

I believe I saw your outfit in the flesh on Saturday.  I think you achieved the desired effect.

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Sebastian Dante
Officer

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 03:34:53 pm »

You did see it sir, thank you very much. I had made a small alteration or two where I could from the photo at the top of the thread, but it's definitely still a work in progress.

I like Otto's long sleeve idea a lot, I may have to borrow such an idea for the next stage of the design.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 06:25:20 am »

rustle up a surplus mp armband, the ones with the epaulet and collar part, and use it as the base for a bit of armor or toolkit.

re purposing out of sheer necessity should be the order of the day.

where is your food and water? tie an old ratty water bottle to your belt and an old bread bag with bean cans missing the labels, or sporting fake military ration labels, tuna cans and cracker tins work too. tarnish the metal and add your tattered labels. should make for an interresting picnic.

perhaps a vaultec blue shirt under it all? I've seen surplus military mechanics jumpers (coveralls) for sale, used. they should have a bit of patina and shred a bit nicely. blue ones, green flight ones, brown too. they would replace the pants and work well under the vest.

a geiger counter should be somewhere on you. at the very least, a dosimeter in plain sight.

an mp3 player with a little boost box hidden in a fake geiger could loop some lovely crunchy geiger clicks as you move about. all you need is a kit box from an electronics supplier (or a letter tin from a crafting store) and a metal garage door handle,  all painted yellow. you could even mount the player on the outside to double as the meter.

you could carve a deadly boomerang from styrofoam and cover it with metal duct tape, and spatter it with bloodstains. carve it to look like two blades and part of the hub from a car radiator fanblade, improvised weapons rule!
a styrofoam ballistrade and some bendy pipe cleaners twisted to look like barbed wire around the ballistrade would look very omninous, hanging from your belt.

go watch "a boy and his dog" to see what the worst dressed posties were wearing in the 80's, uhg.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 08:23:02 pm »

I wish I'd seen this thread before the weekend I have an old leather speed biker jacket that would have been perfect for you to rip apart for the shoulder armor. I do like the idea of the mad max look. Tricky to get hold of second hand body armor though (Stunt bmx maybe?) One thing that would be quite cool is an arm cage like maxes leg support in the second film. not too tricky to construct and would get around that nasty elbow issue we were discussing at the convivial.

Good to see you by the way. You chain work is coming on in leaps and bounds sir! Most impressed.

D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 08:54:52 pm »

I wish I'd seen this thread before the weekend I have an old leather speed biker jacket that would have been perfect for you to rip apart for the shoulder armor. I do like the idea of the mad max look. Tricky to get hold of second hand body armor though (Stunt bmx maybe?) One thing that would be quite cool is an arm cage like maxes leg support in the second film. not too tricky to construct and would get around that nasty elbow issue we were discussing at the convivial.

Good to see you by the way. You chain work is coming on in leaps and bounds sir! Most impressed.

Body armor is not that hard to make depending on what type.  Which actually brings up another point....

"Remember you are in a post-apocalyptic world."

Too many designers, costumers, writers, etc. forget that when they do their costuming.  To echo Otto's 80's reference....you'd think Aquanet would be the last thing to have....but yet all the Post-Apocalyptic women of the 80's have styles which had to be sprayed. (I guess it could be used as a flamethrower if needed...) Same is true to of films today....  Say you are making a jacket from scratch because yours died after it was attacked by a radiated chipmunk....DO NOT USE A FORM!!!  Free form it.  There are quite a few historical patterns which can be done quickly using only measuring tape (can be replaced by a length of cord), scissors, and a needle and thread.  Quite literally if it comes out "Perfect" you are doing it wrong.   Grin
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 10:51:40 pm »

I think something that covers your neck below the gas mask would be good.  Maybe a large linen scarf with the odd patch and/or burn or perhaps a hood with a lower section that wraps round. Look at some of the styles worn by desert tribes.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 12:01:44 am »

My major comment would be that everything is far too clean and new-looking.  Your bag looks new, your gloves look as though it is the first time you have put them on.  etc.  I suggest that you go out and do some gardening in the outfit.  Cut a few branches off a tree and let the twigs fall all over you to scratch the leather.  Then get some sandpaper and have a go at the edges and pressure points. 

Get some dilute 'Milton' (very weak bleach used to sterilise babies things), and put various bits of your favoured tee shirt and whatever trousers you are going to use into it.  Watch to see that it only fades your colour rather than let it go white.

I think that collarless shirts are very sexy!!
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 02:16:34 am »

I see everyone's quite determined to drag you through a hedge backwards! Cheesy
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 02:17:00 pm »

And film it!  It can become a thing.   Grin
Sebastian Dante
Officer

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 02:35:20 pm »

I thank you all for the comments, they are most helpful. The next time I have a proper development in this (hopefully in the next week or so) I'll definitely add a picture to show how it's coming along  Cheesy
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 05:22:02 pm »

Real men get dragged through blackthorn. Softies get dragged through privet and SAY it was blackthorn.
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 06:30:14 pm »

Real men get dragged through blackthorn. Softies get dragged through privet and SAY it was blackthorn.

A comrade and I once crawled through poison ivy at a Vietnam War reenactment to avoid capture...it was worth it.  (actually found out I was immune to the particular strain) 
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 01:12:08 am »

A comrade and I once crawled through poison ivy at a Vietnam War reenactment to avoid capture...it was worth it.  (actually found out I was immune to the particular strain) 
Ah, high stakes science & experimentation! Arguably the best kind!
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 07:07:55 am »

ditto on the ivy immunity, saved me a few times!

...and crawling thru the underbrush is how we found a wild patch of blackberries at a civil war re-enactment.
very tasty on a hot summer day, the mosquitoes guarding them weren't fun though.

as for patina, you should probably crawl up on the roof of the homestead and roll off onto the drive, making sure to make it all the way into the street and under a passing blue cortina. has to be blue.

oh and have the cloths on, it would be damn silly to do it all without the clothes on. not to mention lude.
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 02:00:35 pm »

ditto on the ivy immunity, saved me a few times!

...and crawling thru the underbrush is how we found a wild patch of blackberries at a civil war re-enactment.
very tasty on a hot summer day, the mosquitoes guarding them weren't fun though.

I do that too.  One day I was sick of living off of my rations so I went on a "scout."  So sneaking around the enemy lines, monitoring their position...I hopped from berry bush to berry bush.  And then I was spotted after I became excitedly lost in a rather richly full bush.  "HEY!" I heard him say.  I saw the rifle raise and I ran.   Grin

And going back to the post-apocalypse, I recommend having a bag of some sort to do just the sort of thing we were talking about.  Look around for gas mask bags, they are a lot tougher than gym bags and are big enough to carry a fair amount, but small enough to not be too much of a burden, and depending on how the apocalypse happened....you lifted it from a dead guy whose mask had failed him.   Grin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: