The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 27, 2021, 07:27:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steering away from cogs....  (Read 981 times)
Susannah
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: February 17, 2014, 02:56:25 pm »

If I want to try and sp some of my everyday clothes, embellishing collars, pockets, waist lines (when I am not using a belt) but I don't want to use cogs, is there anything original I could use, I look on e bay for example and it seems to be cogs cogs and not forgetting cogs ! (Unless I want to ship from America where there seems to be more on offer , but equally much expense and don't I hate the import duties!  )

One outfit in the past I just used colourful buttons, not specifically sp but it cheered a black jumpsuit up no end. It's what else could I use?

No doubt someone else may have asked the question before?
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 03:12:54 pm »

If you are just replacing buttons, swapping a plastic button for any type of metallic button is a very simple way to make a garment feel more steamy. I found this wonderful velvet jacket at a thrift store, everything about it was perfect, except it had the ugliest plastic buttons.. I found some very nice metal buttons with a filigree pattern on them and swapped them out. It really did the trick! So you don't have to just go for cogs, just find buttons/ accessories that look a bit old fashioned, and you'll be in business!

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 04:05:23 pm »

Hi, actually the garment I mentioned above were great bright plastic buttons but I wasn't thinking steampunk then. And I look dreadful in black so it needed brightening,

However I can see how buttons are a simple swap on other garments and something that even I can do with very little sewing skill.

So I will have a metal button search now !
Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 06:13:36 pm »

This place does quite a lot of brass fittings, studs and other bits and pieces which might be useful http://www.leprevo.co.uk/

In particular this section : http://www.leprevo.co.uk/decorations.htm

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 06:31:59 pm »

If I want to try and sp some of my everyday clothes, embellishing collars, pockets, waist lines (when I am not using a belt) but I don't want to use cogs, is there anything original I could use, I look on e bay for example and it seems to be cogs cogs and not forgetting cogs ! (Unless I want to ship from America where there seems to be more on offer , but equally much expense and don't I hate the import duties!  )

One outfit in the past I just used colourful buttons, not specifically sp but it cheered a black jumpsuit up no end. It's what else could I use?

This maybe of interest to you,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171183062870?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
I just chopped the loop off but now need to find some pin backs for them.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 07:14:44 pm »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171183062870?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Something like this...?

These are what I use on my medal ribbons. I order mine in bulk from China, but if you want a lesser number, this might be a suitable listing.

For the OP, you might consider button blanks - the idea is you stretch fabric over the top part, and then snap it to the bottom part like a press stud, but you can decorate them however you like.

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 08:19:29 pm »

Something like this...?

These are what I use on my medal ribbons. I order mine in bulk from China, but if you want a lesser number, this might be a suitable listing.

For the OP, you might consider button blanks - the idea is you stretch fabric over the top part, and then snap it to the bottom part like a press stud, but you can decorate them however you like.

No pin as in drawing pin style back!
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 05:36:39 pm »

Aha, in that case, you want a tie tack. If you just want a few, I bought from these people once and they were very good.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 06:39:11 pm »

Aha, in that case, you want a tie tack. If you just want a few, I bought from these people once and they were very good.

Perfect, just what I was looking for.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 08:35:26 pm »

Also known as 'butterfly clips'

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: