The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 08, 2021, 08:06:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk oars-woman?  (Read 1130 times)
Susannah
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: February 17, 2014, 12:54:10 pm »

I am just thinking about parts of my life which have not been 'steampunked ' yet.

Here is one for you.

What do you think I could do to create a steampunk outfit I could row in ? Given that it has to be versitile - close fitting but loose enough to move , warm , and something on my head, warm - which won't come off!!

Now there is a challenge.

lady lily Cholmondley
(Susannah )
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 02:19:40 pm »

I am just thinking about parts of my life which have not been 'steampunked ' yet.

Here is one for you.

What do you think I could do to create a steampunk outfit I could row in ? Given that it has to be versitile - close fitting but loose enough to move , warm , and something on my head, warm - which won't come off!!

Now there is a challenge.

lady lily Cholmondley
(Susannah )

I think that the hat is easy enough. If it has no brim, the wind won't get underneath it to lift it off your head. If it has a brim you can secure it with a hat pin or by winding a piece of muslin around it and tying that under your chin.

For clothing, I'm sure that long skirt, a blouse with shoulder of mutton sleeves, and a waistcoat-style bodice over that would allow for free movement and keep you warm.

--
Keith
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 02:25:16 pm »

Long skirts are definitely out. When I say I row, - I mean I sit on a slide and go back and forth - as if on a rowing machine. It's that type of 'heavy duty' rowing!
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 06:10:02 pm »

and something on my head, warm - which won't come off!!

lady lily Cholmondley
(Susannah )
[/quote]

An octopus?

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 06:29:00 pm »

A bloomer cycling suit worn over a woollen sweater (perhaps the chunky knit fisherman style).
Gaiters and galoshes over thick winter socks.
Sheepskin gloves are warm and the style is traditional. Some of the places that sell sheepskin gloves also sell sheepskin hats that can be made to look steampunk with the addition of insignia or goggles or even mad scientific devices.
I would suggest looking at hats that cover your ears as the warmest options.

Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 07:24:21 pm »

Oh - I am into learning how to make bloomers at the mo. I could make them rowing club colours - one leg red, one black. They could go over the trousers I currently wear. Alongstide my current purple thick socks! (Present hence why not club colours). I have a bugles type hat which is too big. It comes over my eyes, but maybe I could steam cyle that - someone might have a smaller one. I like the idea of think fisherman jumper, though I suspect I might 'perspire' as ladies do once I get rowing. Mind you no reason who I cant take it off. Good food for thought
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 10:33:11 pm »

Long skirts are definitely out. When I say I row, - I mean I sit on a slide and go back and forth - as if on a rowing machine. It's that type of 'heavy duty' rowing!

If respectable ladies can play tennis and cycle in long skirts, then they can row in long skirts.

Hitch the skirt up to around knee height, reach through your knees to grab the hem behind and pull it through to the front. Lift the hem up to waist height and it separates the falls of cloth into what approximates "trousers". Now sit down on the mobile seat.

Modesty is preserved and freedom of movement guaranteed.
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 11:57:12 pm »

Club safety rules broken though!

More likely to get away with bloomers!!
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 01:48:28 am »

The other alternative is to do the tweed plus four look!
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 09:32:52 am »

The other alternative is to do the tweed plus four look!

True, and that is what a many respectable ladies, including my grandmother, wore for cycling and motorcycling; I had forgotten about those.
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Lady Adventurer, Chronicler

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 09:57:57 am »

Depending on the weather at the time (bearing in mind what the UK's been like for the last months), how about something based on a Victorian bathing suit? Would be very simple to adapt to your club colours and would look fantastic!

The nice people at the Met Office claim we're going to have a hot summer...

"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 10:38:32 am »

Actually an 'all in one' training suit - looks very much like Victorian swim suit but they were not knitted of course. I will have to find someone I know who can knit!
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 02:50:01 pm »

Susannah..sometimes it simply isn't possible to 'steam up' every aspect of your life. Finding something suitable to wear whilst rowing..well..do you really need that steamed up? The obvious choice would be, as mentioned bloomers/knickerbockers/plus fours but should you have a mishap on the river in tweeds you'll sink like a stone! Something like a VicWardian gentlemen's swimming  costume (an all in one job) will give you much more freedom of movement, give you a better chance should you fall in and  won't make you even more hot and sweaty than rowing already does.

besides, In VicWardian England , ladies sat demurely at the rear of the boat shaded by a parasol while their 'beau' did the rowing. Don't buck the trend! Wink
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 08:39:57 pm by Capt. Dirigible » Logged

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 03:58:53 pm »

It may not be possible in all aspects of life - I just get carried away. However the all in one 'gentlemens' swim kit is possible as not far of one choice of clothing rowers do use in summer months at least.
However it is fun to consider the different areas of my life and consider where the possibilities are . After all I have successfully managed to steam up a Salvation Army uniform.
I just like having tokens to sp. even if I can't do the whole thing. I may just create a whacky woolly hat !

Heckler
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 04:30:44 pm »

I just like having tokens to sp. even if I can't do the whole thing. I may just create a whacky woolly hat !

That's a good idea, why not wear a knitted top hat?

We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The Call of Cthulhu"
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 07:09:07 pm »

Ooo yes. A knitted top hat !! What a grand idea. Just have to find someone who can knit me one!!
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 09:14:56 am »

Russian sailors caps are readily available online and you could make your own name ribbon to go on it. "titanic" might work nicely.

if you want just plain weird, then the budenovka cap would fit the bill. looks ancient enough and is probably pretty warm. and I bet you're the only one there in one.
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 04:42:13 pm »

I have never heard of the budenovka hat. I shall look it up. Thanksz
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2014, 08:46:37 pm »

How about forgetting the historical look and going for steampunk-like fabrics. 

Copper-coloured plasticised fabric is available in the shops as trousers, tights and tops, if you look carefully.  Make small bags hanging from the waist of PVC (sew with a leather needle and put talcum powder between right sides when sewing together to stop the needle sticking).  Also make a series of bandoleer bags for your back on a strap so that they do not get in the way of rowing.  Add matching spats to go over what you normally wear on your feet.  You can add a miniscule skirt over the top of the tights if you want, just to look feminine.  Buckles and straps to be added as and where you have the time and inclination.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: