The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 09, 2021, 08:04:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mori Kei/Steampunk Outfit- Could it work?  (Read 945 times)
lientie
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

bethanlientie
« on: February 11, 2014, 01:13:15 am »

I've been involved in steampunk for a few years, but recently have discovered mori kei as a style and fallen in love with it..I'd love to do a mix of the two in an outfit somehow, thinking for the next Asylum especially, but I have no idea how i'd do it, as the concepts behind both seem to contradict each other. I think the colour scheme and fabrics would work well to cross over and I have some mini foam toadstool things to put around a bowler hat but other than that i'm a bit stuck, just thought i'd post and ask if anyone here has any ideas on how this could work? Any images or anything you've seen already of something similar?

Thanks Smiley
   Lientie

Confabulation!
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 03:34:59 am »

Hmm... looking at some images and such, it seems like the two could mesh. The natural and neutral colors, would work nice in neo-victorian patterned clothing. Adding mushroom and plant/animal elements, you might come off as a steampunk nature witch/wizard though, which doesn't sound that bad in itself, but might not be what you're going for.

Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 02:44:23 pm »

スチーム 森 ギャル would be an interesting concept. Fuel your steam engines only with wood that has fallen from the trees and you have gathered from the ground.

--
Keith
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 06:29:00 pm »

Yes it could work.  Take inspirations for shape from Victorian and Edwardian fashions.  Avoid sharp square edges and take a look at some Art Nouveau for ideas.  From there you can adapt using forest themes.  Here are a few starter suggestions.  A parasol to look like one of the more interesting mushrooms with a hand pleated and gathered lining to look like the underside of a wide mushroom not sure what those thin shapes are called, gills?  Wide brimmed hat in the same style Dress fabric in a bark pattern. Buttons that look like acorns or flowers.  For a warm jacket or coat use velvet in a naturalistic collection of different depths and tints to give the impression of moss and/or lichen.  Lace trim that looks like leaves or cobwebs.  Silk leaves and/or silk flowers worn instead of feather or fur trim. 
lientie
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

bethanlientie
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 06:38:50 pm »

VampirateMace hadn't thought of the witch/wizard thing but I quite like that thinking about it now, I did see a couple of people do that very well at the last Asylum, big leather wizards hat, looked fantastic..

Keith_Beef: That could work actually, couldn't think at all how you would merge the concepts of them but that would make sense..

Walking stick: I would love a mushroom parasol, will have to look in to how you make them..Although I have a quite grubby white parasol at the moment that might look better if I paint it up Tongue But thanks for the inspiration, more ideas are starting to form now..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: