The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 27, 2021, 08:12:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Asylum Apparel  (Read 1196 times)
Felix Fixler
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: February 02, 2014, 08:53:33 pm »

I know its a long way off until Lincolns annual Asylum Weekend but I need to start planning and making outfits now or I will run out of time to make them. I threw together items I had already for last years Asylum (my first ever btw) and I felt a little under dressed and being a creative person I felt I could of done much better given more time.

here's where you fine people come in. I need some advice from those who have attended previously

1. do you have more than one outfit? (seeing as its a three day event)

2. if so I would be interested to know your outfit choices for the different days

3. is the Empire Ball the real show stopper night for outfits?

4. I hear there is a costume competition and I was wandering how that worked

5. am I over thinking all this?

Well thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing from you all.

Count Felix Alexavia Von Fixler
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 09:53:08 pm »

We didn't attend the ball because of the kids, but we did have three outfits each, a "quick change" outfit for Friday evening, something a little more 'upmarket' for Saturday and on Sunday we adopted something of a 'persona' for the Illicit Market.

At the end of the day though, it's whatever suits you best. As long as you have fun because that's the most important bit  Grin

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
Sebastian Dante
Officer

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 10:47:24 pm »

It's never a long way off when creating things for the Asylum is concerned. I agree with IGetPwnedOften, my first Asylum was last year and I went with a basic look for Friday due to travelling, an outfit for Saturday daytime with a separate outfit for the ball and then another one for Sunday (Dead Dog included), so overall I wore 4 outfits.

My outfit choices was basic dressed down smart (oxymoron there) for Friday, Weird West for Saturday, smart for the Ball and gentlemanly for Sunday. There may be occasions where your outfits become merged as my parade wear was a combination of several others, but in general I am once again considering 3 to 4 variations this year.

The Empire Ball is often the smartest outfits on show, but the most impressive I found was on the Saturday in general.

I didn't particularly go for the costume competition last year, but if I remember rightly, anyone can enter and is often just a chance to show off what you've come up with (hence why Saturday often has the more impressive outfits). I think it's just a little bit of friendly competition, but as I didn't participate last year, someone else could probably give you more information.

A little over thinking, but not necessarily a bad thing. I was planning since March and spent the summer frantically trying to finish everything I wanted to. This year I have been vaguely planning since the end of the last Asylum, but have started tinkering with bits and pieces in the last couple of weeks.

Most of all, the Asylum is good fun and with regards to outfits, I found that you never really look underdressed, there will be those with spectacular outfits and those with more basic ones, the best thing to do is marvel at the craftsmanship and time that have been put in.

Hope this helps a little
Felix Fixler
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 10:58:48 pm »

Thanks for the advice (both of you), I figured most people would have a different outfit for each day, and maybe another for the Ball. I could only go to the Friday fashion show and part of the Sunday last year so I didn't notice if people had changed. I like the idea of a persona for the market, I might have to borrow that idea.

I wish I could of gone to Saturday last year, I think I probably missed a treat. This year I have the week off work and Im staying over in the city so none of this part time malarkey for me.
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 01:18:53 am »

1. do you have more than one outfit? (seeing as its a three day event)
SO MANY OUTFITS! I have between 3 and 5, depending on what I'm attending.

2. if so I would be interested to know your outfit choices for the different days
I base mine on the weather, except the things like the military parade and the ball where I design outfits specifically for those events.

3. is the Empire Ball the real show stopper night for outfits?
Yes, usually.

4. I hear there is a costume competition and I was wandering how that worked
Pass. I never enter, but one would assume you all meet up at a location and some voting takes place. Grin

5. am I over thinking all this?
Yes.

''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!
Felix Fixler
Gunner

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 02:32:09 pm »

Thank you Lady Ava

I was thinking I would plan one outfit for the Friday and one for Saturday and so on, but I think if I just have a selection of items I can mix and match them to suit the events that day and the weather. (there was a cold wind on Sunday last year).

For the Ball I already have a outfit planned (I think), I tried to find photographs of previous Empire Balls just to get some inspiration, but I couldn't find any.

I'm not too fussed about the competition, I was just interested because I missed it last year
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 06:07:54 pm »

Thank you Lady Ava

I was thinking I would plan one outfit for the Friday and one for Saturday and so on, but I think if I just have a selection of items I can mix and match them to suit the events that day and the weather. (there was a cold wind on Sunday last year).

For the Ball I already have a outfit planned (I think), I tried to find photographs of previous Empire Balls just to get some inspiration, but I couldn't find any.

I'm not too fussed about the competition, I was just interested because I missed it last year

Mix and match is often the right thing to do, it means that you can just were what the day calls for! Glad I could be of some help and I look forward to seeing you there!
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 12:38:15 am »

I am glad you asked all those questions. I also wanted to know. Though my concern stemmed from a thought of how I was going to get all hats there on public transport. This is when I invent the personal and portable hat tower!
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 11:44:21 am »

I must confess, if I had to get to Asylum by public transport I would have to seriously cut down on hats. I can usually get everything I want to wear (and that's now five outfits: Friday night, Saturday day, Sat Evening/ball, Sunday daytime and Dead Dog/Steerage) into the suit carrier (which is then very bulky and heavy to carry). But coupled with a huge holdall full of goggles, Sam Browns, weapons, holsters, gauntlets,boots, bracers etc and then on top of that between three and five hats carrying that lot on a a train is not something I relish. Thankfully, The Countess has a car!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 06:05:00 pm by Capt. Dirigible » Logged

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 11:47:25 am »

Think of me when I also have to add into my load - a guide dog, her bedding, and food for an extended weekend.
And of course not forgetting the dogs steampunk props!
RodDuncan
Gunner

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 12:06:16 pm »

I especially look forward to seeing the dog's steampunk props!

Smiley
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 12:16:49 pm »

Don't get over excited - I have plans - but her props come under the 'do-it' list for mine. I have great ideas - just not always so great in pulling them through to fruition!!
Captain Lister Maylin
Gunner
England England

iannlou
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 12:33:55 pm »

Last year I took 2 outfits - a smart(ish) suit for travelling up on the Saturday & a different, (thick tweed-a-like) one for the Sunday. Given the foul weather on the Sunday this was one of my smarter ideas!

If I remember rightly the costume competition was on the Saturday afternoon (with the prizes handed out on Sunday at the close) and there were only 5 or 6 entrants.

At the end of the day nobody looks under-dressed and it's about enjoyment of splendid company with like-minded people anyway.

Is it supposed to be doing that?
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 01:28:02 pm »

I know and I am enjoying it already - with all these conversations - and costume discussions etc. Come September I shall be a total frazzle of splendid pent up anticipation.
What I may end up doing is posting a box of light stuff up in advance. The dog will have munched her way through all her food but the time I go back so room in my case for what I posted before. I shall have to hope I can travel in thick stuff too.
But isn't it so exciting. Especially for a newbie !
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 01:39:53 pm »

And of course not forgetting my Victorian pyjamas!
Felix Fixler
Gunner

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 09:19:42 pm »

Blast, Victorian pyjamas is something I have overlooked. as far as hats go, I have the problem of having a Kraken sized head so finding any hat that fits is a lost cause, I'm doing Turbans and Hoods this year.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 07:03:56 pm »

Blast, Victorian pyjamas is something I have overlooked. as far as hats go, I have the problem of having a Kraken sized head so finding any hat that fits is a lost cause, I'm doing Turbans and Hoods this year.

Or nightshirts.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Felix Fixler
Gunner

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 12:03:44 am »

Or nightshirts.
[/quote]

Maybe the Asylum organisers should add a slumber party to the weekends itinerary, we can all display our finest nightwear whilst drinking warm milk and eating garibaldis
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 11:06:35 am »

And a pillow fight? Would have had really feathers too. That would be great fight! I think though if I lived in central-heating-less Victorian house I would want my thermals on an night time not some slinky lnumber !

Actually what am I talking about! My parents live in a Victorian house. I grew up in one. Admittedly not on the proportions of stately homes but we had six bedrooms - including box rooms (there are six siblings ) so fair sized house. Does now have central heating in most rooms except the box rooms. ( where I was shafted at Christmas as those with children got priority of the lower rooms )

They are suffering now though - due to ongoing bad weather in uk parts of roof ceiling is falling in. The house is showing it's age and also revealing just how Victorians built there houses and how little is in the top ceiling before the roof. It would be interesting to see if it wasn't letting rain water in. Poor them .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: