The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 04:06:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sailor dress  (Read 1080 times)
Susannah
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: January 27, 2014, 12:37:15 am »

The other one I have not yet been able to give much thought too is a blue sailor dress I have had for some time.

It's thigh length, and I wondering if I should keep in
It the same length and add to it somehow or cur it down into a
A shirt and add trousers - possibly culottes / plus four trousers?

And then there is a hat. A typical sailor flat cap doesn't hold much appeal , I want it to be whacky but quite what I don't know .

Again the floor is open to you experts .

Susannah
LadyAsprin
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Sabreuse.

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 12:43:34 am »

I did a modified sailor outfit at the last Asylum and what I did was wear the dress unbuttoned from the waist with breeches underneath.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Could you do something similar with bloomers/breeches/plus fours and not change the length?  Also with a hat what do you mean when you say wacky would a cannon hat be some that could work?

Only girls fight with swords these days.(Wellington - Duel and Duality - Blackadder III)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 12:47:57 am »

Weren't some late Victorian and Edwardian swim-dresses/suits nautical inspired?

LadyAsprin
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Sabreuse.

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 12:49:16 am »

Weren't some late Victorian and Edwardian swim-dresses/suits nautical inspired?

I was inspired by the Victorian 'sportswear' which is often in the style of a Sailor Suit.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 12:54:46 am »

There are a few threads on the subject on Brassgoggles, but I'm having a bit of a hard time with the BG search engine...There were a number of period photographs...
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 08:57:16 am »

I would agree about the beachwear look, matching bloomers and/or tights with a period hairstyle and some form of sailor hat.
Here's a reference to start with.
http://blog.tuppencehapenny.co.uk/2011/05/sailor-style-evolution-part-1-nautical.html
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 11:14:59 am »

Thank you for all these comments. I need to put the dress on again tonight and check how long it was. I seem to remember calf length, so any bloomers underneath need to be long . I may have to adopt a few nautical props if I am to be beside the seaside. Though by what I read on the one link. They ended up back in mainstream fashion shortly after.

I would have to work out what to do withy hair - depending on whether I stay on land or sea! Bathing costumes seem to tie it up or I so one of those scrunched cotton hats which I have no idea what they are called. A straw hat seems to be the alternative.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 05:21:34 am »

well, you could do a short underskirt with breeches and leave the dress open below the waist and buttoned back onto the hips. finish the waist with wide sash belt. a nice bicorn cap with a bit of decoration to militarize it.

if the skirt is solid and of long length maybe gather it up with one of those tucks into the belt and wear it over bloomer/pantalones to give it a sort of barbary pirate feel?

if you need weaponry, look up belaying pins, you could tuck them into any sort of waist sash or belt.
railing ballusters could be cut up to make a few pins (the upright turned pieces from a wooden staircase railing) or you could make them from styrofoam covered in aluminum duct tape and spraypaint them brown and black to look wooden.
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 05:52:42 am »

Hi,
I am not into weaponry - fake or otherwise, but as my overall character persona has something to do with 'tea' I do have a weapon of sorts of a giant tea spoon. However that is probably too big to tuck into a belt!!

I am into trying to hitch the length of the skirt up somehow though because this would mean I could avoid cutting it if I ever did want it long again.

Maybe I need to think through My character a bit more and how I can link a sailor dress to 'tea'.

I also have a possible prop of a vintage golf bag (where the giant spoons will live instead of clubs, and I plan to decorate the golf bag with tea bag hanging kettles etc) the quirky but here is that one of my outfits will be as a Victorian golf caddy . So I become sTEAmpunk CADDY - so an obvious twist on being a tea caddy too . All sorts of ideas for also developing the bag into a maypole to design a. 'Spoon dance ' around . Or using the spoons as giant catapults.

So if you have ideas how I can fit the sailor dress into a tea persona, with or without the golf bag - I would be interested to hear thoughts.

It may be that I just have to develop a totally different character, nautical and forget the tea bit .....
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 06:04:22 am »

a steampunk caddy would most likely find the need to provide a refreshing cup of tea, as well as the proper club. a few odd clubs in the bag along with the tea implements and possibly a parasol and stools? something along the lines of those walking sticks that double as stools could be in the bag.

you could even affix a golf club head to the tip of an umbrella and use it as a parasol for yourself, while "caddying" any old umbrella can be spiffed up with a bit of lacing around the edge.
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 09:47:43 am »

Yes I had thought of a parasol - I have a teapot coming (e bay), that can be strung on / stuck on somewhere. I had also thought of those sticks but yet to find a any . And I thought of shoving flask of actual tea down the bottom of the bag and a tin of biscuits. The bag is not huge though as it's vintage style so limitations on space. I am still looking out for a random golf club. And I am going to make a green flag with my 'name' on it.

In many ways the caddy out fit is the simple one. I can either do plus fours or a long skirt. Tweed. Flat cap or straw boater.

Actually I even thought I might end up going a step further with my golf bag. If I attach bits of ribbon, it can also suddenly transform into a maypole for ladies who do tea to dance around.

Susannah
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 01:20:55 am »

This sounds like a lovely project, please do bring photos back when you've got it sorted!

''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!
Felix Fixler
Gunner

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 03:38:50 pm »

If you wanted to raise your skirt up and keep it intact you could gather it and tie a knot with the fabric, or use some nautical rope to hitch it up like ships rigging.

you have a great theme so your possibilities are endless, cant wait for pictures

Count Felix Alexavia Von Fixler
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 04:36:46 pm »

Mmmm - yes - ships rigging or even a mini rope ladder up to my waist!

I really must put that dress on and see what I can do.

I have however just acquired a navy sailors style hat . No name on it which is good, so I can dream up something suitable.

My other thought is it am obsessed with titanic. I have also had a thought to make a titanic shaped hat and think I know what might work to do it.

If I am clever enough with leaving the dress as intact as I can and just tacking on tie backs to hitch the skirt, use a Sam brown belt to hand different props, then it all becomes very workable.

And to think, a couple of weeks ago I was thinking of selling the dress!!

Susannah

Th
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: