The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 03:39:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transforming war bride suit  (Read 5248 times)
Susannah
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: January 23, 2014, 01:38:52 pm »

Hi any ideas?

I now have gained a brown tweed war bride suit. How the skirt is just knee length, possibly slightly below.

I am thinking of how to transform this outfit? I think it's almost too smart to do the bloomers trick, sticking out under the skirt , it's the wrong type of outfit.

I am wondering what else I could do ? I am not sure if colourful thick socks and garters for instance might work?Huh

The jacket has typical low collars. Buttons up to lower chest area. I am going to be reluctant to see/ cut anything onto it as I think I might just get away with wearing it for work as a quirky suit, so steampunk 'accessories' need to be stand alone if you see what I mean.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Susannah
Madame Momerath
Snr. Officer
United States United States

All is not lost! Some of it is hidden.

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 01:57:19 pm »

I must profess my ignorance of a war bride suit but the situation was quickly rectified by a google search. Smiley If you are looking for a steamier style with it (and without actually altering its integrity), I would suggest  layering the skirt with a longer underskirt or two. Depending on the suit's skirt width and flouncy-ness, you could also use safety pins to gather it into folds for a bustled overskirt.

As to the suit's top, maybe a lovely ascot or lacy plastron? And adding a touch of lace at the sleeve ends (like a long sleeved blouse) would also transform your outfit. I think perhaps a photo of your war bride suit might help as well. It sounds lovely. Smiley

Look to the sky. You will not find answers there, but you will certainly see what everyone's screaming about.
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 02:13:04 pm »

That was a quick response - I will get a photo if someone can tell me how to attach it in a message on this site? I came up against this problem before.

And as you did and internet search for my description - I shall have to do an internet search for yours as I have no idea what a ascot or plastron is?

Susannah
(Of course my next dilemma will also be, do I accompany it with a 'serious' hat which suits the outfit, or something definelty whacky and totally steamy !)
Madame Momerath
Snr. Officer

All is not lost! Some of it is hidden.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 02:53:43 pm »

My apologies for not explaining those terms.  Embarrassed A plastron is quite similar to a jabot, which is a detachable lacy, frilly collar. An ascot is a type of neck tie. I hope that helps! Smiley
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 03:10:54 pm »

Ah I know what a jabot is - we have them with our choir robes. And that have me an idea in itself. We have 'sleeves' with our robes. White, and pull over our hands / wrists. Almost like long gloves without the hand part. I could make some of them to wear with jacket, just add some frills or whatever. That way I can just pull them on and still have the jacket 'preserved'.

Lepidoptera
Gunner

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 02:11:01 pm »

I am thinking judiciously chosen brooches (or watch and chain) and long spats or gaiters to fill in for the short skirt. I don't know if you would want to change out the buttons for something brassy and steamy. The lacy suggestions above are good too.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 02:31:02 pm »

Keep the outfit intact as you may be doing dieselpunk or time travel or the full forties look in the future and vintage clothes can only get rarer.  Get a good look at Victorian and Edwardian Fashions there is lots of inspiration there.  You can make an under skirt and collar and shirtfront shape piece in a fabric that goes with the tweed to make the outfit look like one coherent dress. The collar can fasten to itself and the shirtfront effect can fit onto the bodice buttons You can make matching button covers so that nothing is cut off this vintage suit, only added to it for different occasions. A collar and shirtfront shape piece can also be steampunked to make you look like an automaton. 
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 03:28:03 pm »

I am intrigued - I am only just getting my head around steam punk but what is diesel punk and what is an automatom?

(Thanks for ideas)
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 07:44:48 pm »

Diesel punk is 1920s, 30s and 40s set science fiction It's basically what the world would be like if some of the science predictions and/or the science fiction of the day had been real.  Movies to try The Rocketeer and The Shadow.   

An automaton is a clockwork doll.  However in steampunk they are more usually life size clockwork robots. Read K.W. Jeeter's Infernal Devices or watch Doctor Who The Girl in the Fireplace to get the idea. There are two threads on the creation of a costume for The Paganinicon from the Infernal Devices book.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 09:55:20 am »

how long is the jacket? if it hqangs low enough, you could do an external bustle to contrast with an under skirt and the jacket would flow over it and transition into it.

a flouncy blouse and a pith helmet with plenty of scarfing on it would look more edwardian but still fun.

the details would make it more steamy, a homemade sam brown belt and a big game raygun for a turn of the century safari gal would sit somewhere between steam and diesel

the movie "sky captain and the world of tomorrow" is fairly diesel, if you are trying to get a feel for the noir
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 10:40:11 am »

Broaches for the lapels.  Classic costume  jewels or  artificial flowers.   Vintage military style [ lodge / sports / industrial] insignia  . Metal buttons.

a string of pearls or glass beads could be suitable accessories for work or play. Seamed stockings or panty hose.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 11:30:57 am »

[large baggy coats and huge cascading bouquet featured strongly in war weddings - it hid a multitude of sins] Shocked

Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 03:55:25 pm »

Thank you for all these ideas. They are really helpful. Though what is a Sam brown belt?

Currently on the look out for flouncy shirt.

I like the idea of pith helmet which I was alreZdy looking out for in relation to another outfit. Unfortunately I lost out to a higher bidder on e bay yesterday.

I definitely need to get into more so brooches all round. Maybe in
This case a big flowery brooch. My problem with holding things is that I have a guide dog. So holding her harness immediately takes away one hand and if you have a bag or a stick - then no room to hd things like flowers. (Thankfully I have no sins to hide!)

The 'bustle over skirt ' is a good thought. This mud test me current seamstress skills so I may have to resort to e bay and see what I can find.   (Hard to do much but the very simplest sewing projects when I don't see well.) the skirt is knee length, I
Or there abouts. So an underskirt also to match the external bustle is good. Perhaps, if I find the right garment, I can cut out yen bustle to use over the skirt , and the rest of the skirt, I can wear underneath as of course no one would see the hole as the actual suit skirt would be in between.

The military insignia idea I am going to save for another costume . I am a modern day Salvation Army member. I want to create a Victorian Salvation Army uniform and currently on
The hunt for old Salvation Army insignia for that.

Actually in reality, I have several outfits - ideas on the go but isn't that
Half the fun of it.

Susannah

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 08:37:33 pm »

had a  google for Sam Drowne Belts . They have a rather steampunky history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Browne_belt

Sam Browne was a British army officer serving in India in the 19th century.[3] In those days officers always carried a sword into battle. It hung from a small metal clip on the waistbelt, called a 'frog'. However, the scabbard tended to slide around a lot when they charged the enemy, meaning that it had to be steadied with the left hand before being drawn.[4

Sam Browne

Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 12:29:47 am »

Hi
Thanks to your help, I am gradually getting ideas for what I can do with the war bride outfit

The sam brown idea. I am Not too partial to guns or weapons of any description and I  wondering what else u could put in the holster / sword scabbard? Perhaps just a walking stick but I do like to be inventive.

Some of my other costumes have had a tea theme. I wonder of there is anything I could use there  ?
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 04:47:54 am »

There are many Sam Brownes with  little purses, other  non violent attachments and variations.  Most of them don't have holsters , I only posted the dramatic ones.  Keep looking.  You will find just the right thing.

Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 05:56:17 am »

a sam brown would be extra handy in your case, you can hang fairly heavy items from it such as a small purse or a bag to act as a purse. I had the idea to make a sort of scabbard/holster for a compact umbrella and it could even have an extra compartment for a folding stick. for the bustle and under skirt, perhaps find a more modern dress suit at a resale shop, preferably from material less modern, and use the jacket as a source of cloth for the bustle effect. even the tail of the jacket could be added to the underskirt as a layered look, to busy it up.

making a sam brown is fairly easy. one or two narrow belts for the shoulder strap and a wider belt for the waist belt. bolts and nuts can hold them together if you can't find the proper hardware.
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 11:24:29 am »

This is going to test my (non existent) needlework skills to the limit. Making a bustle. But got to get my head round it somehow - too expensive to keep buying from e bay!
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 04:43:08 am »

next you should work on a salvation army commando outfit. some souls are alot harder to save than others! Wink
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 05:38:46 am »

A commando outfit would be easy I reckon - just wear my brothers camouflage! (He is in the army!)

However with all these ideas I now have up decide if I do in fact want to be a bride - and lenthen the skirt, or give the illusion of having done so, to make it more sp . Or if in fact I want to forget being a blossoming bride and just turn the whole thing into quasi military uniform, with sam brown belt etc.

Theoretically my overall character theme has to have something to do with 'tea' though I seem to be straying a little with interest in other costumes, so ideas for how to bring this back within a tea theme would be good
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 06:15:00 am »

perhaps save the dress for a more modern costume, like the women who dispenced tea and bakery to soldiers at train stations and ship docks. maybe a more front line sort of emergency tea brigade, add a helmet and some sturdy boots and a teapot painted khaki. make a cigarette girl box, paint it khaki and put cookies in it.

now picture that walking up and down the trenches, dispencing tea. sounds surreal enough to actually have happened!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 08:39:26 am »

Here are some keen Women's Land Army girls & WAAF [the Salvation Army concept got me thinking]

Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 01:59:02 pm »

It wasn't actually this thread where the idea first came up but someone did mention it above. I am excited because I found a vintage knitting pattern for woollen spats. Ok - they are not likely to have been woolen originally but who cares this is steampunk!

I thought with this war bride outfit - long spats is a way to deal with the short skirt issue. I can knit them khaki if I do want to be military. Or I could knit them a slightly more whacky colour - or just even a 'sensible ' colour if I do in fact want to be a bride.

It alsi helps as I have special Nhs boots as my feet are wonky! So spats help cover up the odd boots.

I was thinking though instead of sewing buttons in their traditional area found on spats I can intersperse buttons with small cogs.

I am effectively making glorified socks, but at least that wil be another item to add to my ever growing steampunk wardrobe. Still not found likeable brooches though

Susannah
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 03:24:57 pm »

I had to Google 'war bride suit' as well. One off the images that came up was this

Now, if yours looks something like this may I suggest the following. A stiff collar, tie, Sam Brown and a Bowler and goggles. Basically I'm stealing the idea from the artwork of my pal, Aly Fell. Check out this image of his and imagine it with a shorter skirt.

http://www.darkrising.co.uk/Judith_and_Holofernes.htm

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 03:32:46 pm »

Actually that image is quite a good likeness . Mine is single breasted though and the neckline lies a little lower I think, but that is exactly the thing. I am working on getting a sam brown belt. Good idea about a tie because I can't / or haven't yet found a flouncy blouse or a jabot collar which will fit the neckline. I shall have to die one of my modern sparkling white modern shirts in tea or something to give it that off white look of the era.
I already have a red bowler , actually I like bowler hats full stop. No goggles yet - still working on that. Well actually that will be the easy part as so many basic options on e bay to elaborate if I need too.

I forget to look at your link before I started writing this - more in a minute, once I have had a look!

Susannah
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: