The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 08:13:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bolero Harness in Leather  (Read 3603 times)
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Maker of fine Leathercrafts

« on: January 19, 2014, 09:03:57 am »

Well, I made my Bolero Harness and it turns out it's about a size 14-16 Australian (10-12 US, 12-14 UK I think). Not bad for a pattern I drew while sitting on the sofa with a size 8 mannequin...

First attempt to use an airbrush (only bought the compressor and kit last night) so it's a trial of that too Smiley I really love the way you can fade in a darker colour at the edges and I also tried some stenciling for the first time. Need some better fixative for that, one edge on the back in particular lifted a fair bit, bit overall I'm really pleased. Now I just need to find a model willing to wear it for a shoot, but a friend is doing something on these lines with her Steampunk line so I've been invited to that shoot Cheesy Can't wait!

I will be selling these on Etsy soon btw.

Kindest regards, Raven

Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 03:48:14 pm »

Looks great, although I would question the use of the white lacing. 

anhurset
Gunner

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 03:49:14 pm »

I saw your question about altering pattern sizes over on leatherworker.net, but I wasn't able to comment at the time. I solved the sizing issue by making a two piece lace up back, this gives about 3" (7.5cm) of adjustability which, when coupled with the under arm straps I use, gives 9" (22.8cm) of variability. Along with the adjustability, the lacing allows me to use smaller sections of hide for the back and adds a visual element.

grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 11:48:35 pm »

Yes, the natural leather lace is going in favour of some black flat lace which will blend in better and lie better as well Smiley

One of the reasons I didn't want to split the back is I've already been asked if it's possible to put a holster/sheath on there for a steampunk weapon mount. It's also the best area for tooling if people want a fancy one done.

I'll be getting some pics of it on my stepdaughter soon so you can see what it looks like in action (she's not into steampunk though.)
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 07:23:31 pm »

How about trying some bright-coloured lacing - most girls like pink and purple.
Anastacia
Officer

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 05:58:00 am »

Ooh, I like this! It's been surprisingly hard to find a harness that's designed to sit on top of the bust rather than underneath. I've been entertaining the idea of making my own for a while, but the best I'd be able to do is a faux suede look. I've tried working with leather only once before, and it was frightening.

grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 06:20:29 am »

I do sell to the States and Europe, Anastacia Smiley in fact I'm currently doing a reproduction of the Alice harness from Resident Evil: Afterlife for a customer in England and have done one for a woman Stateside to be part of her Halloween costume last year.
anhurset
Gunner

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 02:15:09 pm »

Yep, there's at least a few of us who make them, https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/174118201/steampunk-overbust-harness?ref=shop_home_active_11
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 03:03:35 pm »

I haven't listed mine yet Smiley but as you see there's a few different designs too
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 09:06:29 pm »

I just have to ask, as a non-wearer of this type of garment.  Why do people want to wear them?  Aren't they rather uncomfortable?
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 02:23:42 am »

Not if they're designed right Smiley Certainly not as uncomfortable as a corset or as unwieldy as a bustle. Unless you're going around doing bodybuilding poses this style of harness shouldn't really be noticeable in the main, it's not over areas of stress. There are many more uncomfortable costume pieces in common use among Steampunks Smiley
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 02:53:49 am »

I just have to ask, as a non-wearer of this type of garment.  Why do people want to wear them?  Aren't they rather uncomfortable?

Guns and bosoms, m'dear. Holding the one and emphasizing the other.

'Invoked or not, the gods will be present.'

-The Oracle of Delphi
anhurset
Gunner

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 01:59:51 pm »

Grimnir nailed it, as long as it's designed properly discomfort is a non issue.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 09:06:31 pm »

Ummm - and where does one place the gun??
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 09:09:41 pm »

Ummm - and where does one place the gun??

In a holster under one arm.

Or both.
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 11:09:30 pm »

No holsters on this harness but it'd be quite easy to add them if someone wanted them Smiley
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 11:59:04 pm »

Crumbs!  I wonder if one is allowed to carry a gun like that in the UK?
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 01:03:12 am »

Wot, a real one?

Ahahahahaha- no.

A fake one? Well, not like the cops can up and shoot you like they do in America, but I still wouldn't advise it outside of conventions and photoshoots.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 07:11:20 pm »

why just guns? Think tools, gadgets, maps cases, archery, spell books, knives, swords, wrenches, hammers, potions...

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 02:56:28 am »

As promised, some action shots Smiley

On the whole holster thing I am currently doing a version of the Sucker Punch Babydoll harness with a zipped pouch under one arm and a flapped pouch under the other for phones, purses etc.. Not all holsters hold guns Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: