The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 07:21:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A 'tea' persona(s)  (Read 2828 times)
Susannah
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 12:47:09 am »

Thank you. I shall bear that in mind. Just need to plan - and to a certain degree, experiment and try adding to, altering clothing. Something I have never done before.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014, 07:19:11 pm »

I second that, about the dark fabrics.  They cannot print 100% black, only 75%.  So one design that I ordered specifically because it was solid black with a gold design overprinted on it, came back as dirty grey.  It also washed badly.  But they were very good and gave me my money back.
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 11:40:34 pm »

Just to let you know - I 'found' my tea dress look I wanted. (Well one of them at least!) Not too dis-similar to the third picture hurricane Annie posted. There is  a simple beige one - I have a longer forest/ khaki green dress. I suppose it also would be a slightly boho look, but simple enough for me, practical colour (for impractical me!), yey dreamy enough to be 'girly' but just about I think, lacy enough - well, to be steamy!

Now for the hat - and simple necklace of some sort.

Of course, this find won't stop me cultivating other looks, the colonial one I like and I still have my whacky golf-tea caddy developing. But I wanted to report a small success thanks to all your ideas helping me sift out what I liked.

So thanks!
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, 01:03:24 am »

Although I have to say now I have these dreamy dress - I can't decide what colour hat to go for. Dark green dress, probably purple boots though the dress is long so you won't see much - but what colour hat - and I have dark hair?!'
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2014, 04:26:42 am »

You realize that once you are done with these, actually after each one, you will have to show pics. All this anticipation. Grin

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, 09:03:40 am »

Natural straw hat, Green ribbon to match the dress purple or mixed decorative flowers to complete the hat.
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 10:30:17 am »

Actually I did think of a straw hat yesterday night, but it takes people like you to suggest ribbons and flowers etc. It's the first go at all this. So my creativity needs a kick start. Thank you .
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 11:44:42 am »

By way of illustrating what  can be achieved  along this theme I'm sure Shelly won't mind me posting a pic of her rather splendid 'tea' themed outfit from Asylum 2012. As you can see, her dress has a biscuit motif pattern, the bandelier has  test tubes of tea, milk and sugar, an infuser/strainer and I believe she also had a canteen of water slung over her shoulder, too. Athough you can't see it too well, her basket has cups and suacers and a tea pot in it. Superb outfit (which, IIRC, one a prize in that year's costume competition)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 12:30:06 pm »

Thank you for this - out of interest what did she have on her head?
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, 12:33:44 pm »

Thank you for this - out of interest what did she have on her head?

And I didn't realise there would be a competition for costumes. .

(I too have a picnic basket - though mine contains my dog gear!! I am trying to think of what a steampunk blanket would be or a steampunk doggy blanket! I think I will just about be able to make a dog blanket once I find the right pattern)
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2014, 01:01:15 pm »

I don't think her head wear was especially themed just a nice little feathered fascinator but I have seen teacup and saucer fascinators at Asylum before.

As for your dog..you could  try making a sort of novelty jacket/costume for him/her. Perhaps a rocket pack? I realise as a guide dog he/she  would wear a harness which might restrict it a bit.
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2014, 04:21:48 pm »

Ah if it's not one - it's two! I have now found long pink lacy tea dress, similar to some of the white pictures. I am not however over keen on pink (having worn a pink uniform to school for 7 years) and I am really not a 'pink girl' so this really is an experiement. However I shall take it home and try it on and see. At least my purple boots will go. So is this now another hat I have to find??? Very funny though as I think I went from having no costumes a fortnight ago, to now having the makings of five! Worcester is full of charity shops and luckily for me, very few people go for the size 8 !
I even got some men's dress army trousers. The waist is small enough - but they might look odd in other areas - need I say more!!!
But that means I now need military hat - any excuse!!!
montysaurus
Deck Hand

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2014, 01:07:06 am »

What  you need is a Tea Cozy hat.
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2014, 01:15:18 am »

What sort of tea cozy - a knitted one or a material padded one? And is this to go with one of my outfits or just as another addition to my collection ?
montysaurus
Deck Hand

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2014, 01:48:00 am »

I had a friend who would put a padded one on his head and wear it as a cap arround the house.
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2014, 02:32:37 pm »

I don't think her head wear was especially themed just a nice little feathered fascinator but I have seen teacup and saucer fascinators at Asylum before.

I've seen people use these silicone teacup and saucer moulds as the basis for this kind of fascinator - because they are much lighter than a china tea cup!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tea+cup+cupcake+mould

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2014, 02:45:44 pm »

I have a tea cozy. A very 'British ' one with flags, cups of tea etc. My idea is to re-shape it slightly over a pith helmet.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2014, 08:56:46 pm »

Another suggestion -- are you an A-cup, a B-cup, a C-cup --- or a T-cup???

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: