The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 27, 2021, 08:13:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A 'tea' persona(s)  (Read 2826 times)
Susannah
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: January 16, 2014, 02:42:56 pm »

I am slowly settling on the idea that I want to base my costume on the good old cup of tea. Possibly two angles/ costumes. Firstly as a tea trader - so I might be aboard the cutty sark or something. And secondly as the good old 'high tea' hostess. I have a few silly ideas for props (including using a tea cozy as a hat! Tea strainers as monoculw / goggles, and even cake stand on top of a top hat filled with the fake cakes) but I am not sure on actual clothes. What would a tea trader wear do you think? And where as I do want to do the aristocratic lady serving high tea - I don't want to dress totally 'girly'. Big frilly dresses are not me at all. Any ideas for other props or clothing most welcome .

Susannah
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 03:23:42 pm »

A tea trader, well, depends on what types. Staunchly upper class business person selling out of a shop in London? Same as any other toff.

A bold traveler and explorer who braves foreign lands and harsh climates to fetch and trade rare varieties of tea? I'm thi nking worn long coat with hundreds of internal pockets for samples.

'Invoked or not, the gods will be present.'

-The Oracle of Delphi
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 04:13:54 pm »

There was such a thing as a 'tea gown'.  They were of simple construction and there was no need for tight corsetry underneath. 

(I've just checked on google and a lot of what people are saying are tea gowns are not.)
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 07:13:34 pm »

I have been plying my friends for ideas today and one made me laugh - dress as a Victorian golfer and fill the golf bag with tea - tea caddy!!
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 07:59:42 pm »

In the pantomime  Alladin's mother is called Widow Twankey/Twankay First called this in 1861
Twankay, or 'twankey' is a low grade green tea, made with older, ragged, open leaves.
The name Twankay deriving from Tun-chi (or Tong-ke), the area in China where it originated and the popular nickname for the boats that brought the tea to England.
So jokes about being past her best or a little frayed refer both to the widow and to the tea.

Then you have Mrs Potts from the stage version of Beauty and the Beast.

And finally I think you would like to see this
http://petrastorrs.com/tag/giant-tea-cup/
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 09:44:53 pm »

Thanks for the link above, that's incredible dress . I think my creativity way to limited to do anything like that but what inspiration!!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 11:51:17 pm »

Victorian Tea Dress, designed for taking tea in the afternoon.

or the Intrepid  Safari/ Missionary / Trader's wife in  the tropics look

Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 12:09:24 am »

Both those looks are great and s
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 12:11:54 am »

Ooops made a mess of the last message.

Both those looks are great and something I can see myself in, depending on mood.

I shall have to keep my eyes out for suitable clothes

Thanks for the ideas and searching out the pictures

Susannah
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 12:14:54 pm »

Mind you why are tea dresses white ! I look washed out in white!
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 12:38:55 pm »

That's the beauty of steampunk, your tea dress can be any colour you want it to be, because it doesn't have to be historically accurate =]

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 04:26:21 pm »

If I can find one in a charity shop or something I can always dye it !!
CorneliaCarton
Zeppelin Captain
Scotland Scotland

Gravatar

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 05:01:12 pm »

Tea dye it :p

Ginny Audriana Irondust Moravia. Pleased t' meet ya.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 10:55:28 pm »

Tea dye it :p

You took the words out of my mouth

Tea ,  coffee etc make a pretty  and soft sepia colours

http://enginaire.blogspot.co.nz/2013/06/raising-sepia-tone.html

frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 11:27:11 pm »

Tea dresses are not all white.  The above example is early 20th century, Edwardian.  White was the fashionable colour then.  I have an 1890's example in black net with a bright orangy-red lining and a the yoke bounded by a black bead trim.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 12:13:26 am »

Tea dresses are not all white.  The above example is early 20th century, Edwardian.  White was the fashionable colour then.  I have an 1890's example in black net with a bright orangy-red lining and a the yoke bounded by a black bead trim.

Dear Frances that black number sounds rather steamy  hmm.

While searching the above images I  found  black lace  dresses that may have been preferred by older matrons  [ not a  reference to you Frances ], soft floral lawn and various mint / sage  green frocks that had a lovely  look. The white  dresses were convenient to post.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 01:24:32 am »

I couldn't resist  sharing these  internet discoveries

[ is it me or do these children look frightened of being eaten , if not by the  trophies -  maybe by dad & grandad]

Very dashing in their uniforms

Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 06:57:11 pm »

These extra pictures really helpful. Just got to find the basic outfit now!
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Edwardian summer

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 09:32:33 pm »

What wonderful images! 

The imperialist having his pedicure looks due for the Black Hole of Calcutta.

I have a longing for a tea dress now.  There is a blog which I cannot now find which says that you can use different kinds of tea to tint the layers of such a dress.  If you were to scan vintage tea labels on to fabric and sew them on to each layer, describing the kind of tea used, you can make subtle tea shades of lace or muslin that look a lot better than they sound.  There are also 'Tea Roses' which could be used for embellishing a hat.

Very inspiring.

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 11:42:13 am »

I like the idea of scanning vintage tea labels onto fabric. (I am slightly worried if I dyed a dress I might ruin it! Knowing me! )
So now I shall have to find some vintage tea labels. And for that matter somewhere which can scan onto fabric!!
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2014, 02:43:27 pm »

I also wonder if can just find ready made material with tea pots on etc. I would think it would be possible as people might make picnic things and teapots - cakes etc would be a good theme. Tommorow lunchtime from work I shall be scanning the material shops in Worcester !
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2014, 08:29:22 pm »

Well I can report I answered my own question! You can get material with cups teapots etc on. I had a look on e bay. A great resource for seeing what is out there. I just need to take a step back and think about colours and what to do where. I now seem to have two or three costumes in my head !! What have I started !!
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2014, 10:48:11 pm »

Try googling 'Spoonflower' for printed fabrics.  They are specially printed to your order, and are bound to have a whole host of tea and tea-cup fabrics on their files.
Susannah
Gunner

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2014, 11:30:58 pm »

You were right! They had loads . A really useful resource once I get the dresses / hats and I can work out how to add additional themed fabric. Thank you
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 12:09:13 am »

A tip for spoonflower printed fabrics is that they often fade when washed due to the printing process, this is especially noticeable on dark fabrics e.g. the blacks all seem to fade to grey very fast. So dry clean or hand wash in cold water to preserve the printing.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: