The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 04:50:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Custom or Off peg?  (Read 1541 times)
The Lone Imperialist
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Captain Reaver Maximus

« on: January 10, 2014, 03:48:18 pm »

Just wanted to know how many of you custom make your clothes/accessories, or do you tend to buy them off the peg, ready made accessories?

A relic of the decadent era of the Empire, living in a jaded world of decay...

Captain Reaver Maximus of the Endurance
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 04:01:16 pm »

That depends on your definition of off the peg....I do buy from thrift stores and sometimes all it takes is some minor alteration, such as a change of buttons to change the look. I do tend to make my accessories such as hair clips, fascinators and jewelry, mostly because I have a knack for that sort of thing. I have also custom made clothing, but that is more involved. However, I don't think I've just bought an item off the rack in a store that was actually labeled steampunk...

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 11:46:44 pm »

Why did you want to know this?

I make or modify everything, I am never satisfied with anything I buy. I just have to make it better and more suitable or more fitted or a different colour, or more glitzy.  Just more of everything.
Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 01:45:41 am »

I agree with Frances on this. I too cannot be satisfied with anything I buy (or make). I just have to tweak and alter and modify and add and...  Wink

This isn't the Junior Chamber of Commerce, Brad!
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 03:12:57 am »

I make or modify everything, I am never satisfied with anything I buy. I just have to make it better and more suitable or more fitted or a different colour, or more glitzy.  Just more of everything.

Frances, you said what I was trying to much more coherently, of course for me I responded before my morning tea...
The Lone Imperialist
Deck Hand

Captain Reaver Maximus

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 03:11:48 pm »

No problem in asking I hope?

Its just Ive seen clothes hand made for 'steampunk' so was interested in how many would buy something handmade by someone else, or made it themselves.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 05:16:27 pm »

No problem in asking I hope?

Its just Ive seen clothes hand made for 'steampunk' so was interested in how many would buy something handmade by someone else, or made it themselves.

Handmade by someone else?  Yes, if I could afford it. Mass produced new from a store? Probably not, I'd rather shop at thrift stores....
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 05:25:50 am »

You’ll have to forgive the skepticism, Imperialist, a lot of fashion and design students come around expecting us to do their homework. And it’s not that we’re opposed to helping people out (well at least some of us aren’t), it’s more that we know they’re not coming back after they get what they want, and they didn’t bother to read the last student’s poll thread which already has the answers. 

I’d say both. I don’t make much for clothes, but I make jewelry and accessories, however I’ll will wear off the rack stuff too, if I like it.

frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 11:45:11 pm »

And, of course, there is the 'I'm just being nosy' element to my question.

I would buy more handmade stuff if, 1) I liked it enough and it was well-made and fitted me, and 2) I could afford to buy someone else's handmade stuff.

However I rarely see anything that fulfills criteria 1).  And when I do 2) comes into play
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 01:11:34 am »

I actually purchased a sewing machine recently, purely because I was spending a fortune on alterations. Sometimes they cost as much if not more than the clothes these days. I felt like Ozwald Boeteng when I hemmed my first pair of trousers. The big mistake was broadcasting the fact as I now have a stack of garments from family and friends to adjust.

The ultimate goal of course is to make my own clothes, but I'm still definitely a noob at present. It can be tricky, but potentially a decent sideline to get into, and always cheaper than bespoke (which I think we'd all do all the time if we could afford it).

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Felix Fixler
Gunner

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 10:59:24 pm »

if somebody compliments what your wearing, its far more flattering if you designed and made it yourself, that feeling of achievement makes the time and effort worth the while. My trouble is I like all the credit.

Count Felix Alexavia Von Fixler
Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 04:43:04 pm »

Felix,
My sentiments exactly! Wink
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 10:17:47 pm »

I can take good, basic fabrics and turn them into oddly shaped potato sacks and rags. Store-bought for me, thank you. My steampunk creativity is limited to attitude and storytelling; my style relies heavily upon vests, tweed, and bow ties - all "normal" clothes in a distinctive combination.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 10:08:29 am »

If buying clothing from specialty stores like Gentleman's Emporium coultsa as Off the peg, then yes, thats me. I can barely hem a pair of pants, so sewing clothes for me is out of the question. And I want something a bit more period specific than something I'd find at Goodwill.

I do however like making my own accessories. Pins, goggles, handheld gadgets, walking sticks,-- the sort of thing that add a bit of interest to a basic Victorian suit.

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Felix Fixler
Gunner

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 04:53:13 pm »

I do however like making my own accessories. Pins, goggles, handheld gadgets, walking sticks,-- the sort of thing that add a bit of interest to a basic Victorian suit.

I'm not good with accessories (making them I mean). I would probably buy walking sticks, gadgets and goggles ect, but I would try to buy antique so they were more unique. I'm lucky I live near the biggest antiques centre in Europe, I got this great brass chainmail bag the other week, I wouldn't have a clue how to make it but for £8 It was an easy decision to get it.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 09:31:21 pm »

Hems need not be sewn, BTW.  There is a special iron-on tape that is brill at taking up trouser hems.  Takes about 1 minute per leg - you literally just iron on the tape on the inside where you want it to be folded up.
besty
Deck Hand

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 10:37:02 pm »

I hand make personally. I'm currently making a gauntlet buy hand using leather and metal. Its more about the satisfaction of knowing your blood and tears went into making it. Saying that I find no problem in buying items and changing them to suit my style.
      Besty
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 01:03:29 am »

Hems need not be sewn, BTW.  There is a special iron-on tape that is brill at taking up trouser hems.  Takes about 1 minute per leg - you literally just iron on the tape on the inside where you want it to be folded up.

Thank you for that. I'll have to hit the fabric shop and see what I can find.
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 05:21:47 am »

My grandma would give you such a talking to...
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 09:35:12 am »

Your grandma probably learned to sew at a tender age. Smiley
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 07:01:45 pm »

That tape stuff's great, as long as you're prepared to re do it after every wash, as in my experience it just falls apart in the machine.
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 07:03:29 pm »

Hems need not be sewn, BTW.  There is a special iron-on tape that is brill at taking up trouser hems.  Takes about 1 minute per leg - you literally just iron on the tape on the inside where you want it to be folded up.

Your grandma probably learned to sew at a tender age. Smiley

This is probably true, and she has altered quite a lot of clothing.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 09:39:39 pm by VampirateMace » Logged
K. D. R. Tempus
Snr. Officer

What could possibly go wrong?

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 08:57:23 pm »

Pardon me for butting in, but Argus, you may need to use a heavier tape.

That tape stuff's great, as long as you're prepared to re do it after every wash, as in my experience it just falls apart in the machine.

'Arthur, you have no historical perspective. Science in those days worked in broad strokes. They got right to the point. Nowadays, it's all just molecule, molecule, molecule. Nothing ever happens big.' ~The Tick
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 09:20:58 pm »

Does it handle dry cleaning?
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 01:37:35 am »

It's probably better made to handle that actually. My only experience is something called Wonder Web, which is a kind of iron on glue of sorts. Essentially heat from the iron melts the strip and it binds the fabric together. It's ok in a pinch, but personally I see it as a temporary solution. There may well be stronger stuff out there now, I've not used it for years.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: