The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 08, 2021, 07:45:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHEEL HATS  (Read 3410 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 04:59:52 am »

OK, here's a few steps completed:

First headband started:

First headband completed and joined:

Second (outer) headband started; the first, inner headband, a slightly smaller diameter, sits beside it for illustrative purposes (like I said, I sew like a blacksmith):

And the two headbands completed:

The larger outer one will be stitched to the smaller inner one at the bottom hem, and the top of the outer band will either be hemmed over the top of the inner one, or simply hemmed over on itself and the plaited top and bill (both yet to be cut out and formed) stitched on and the four parts stitched together. I haven't decided how to do those steps yet. I might decide to use my styrofoam head for them in any case. Playing this by ear. Hopefully not literally...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2014, 05:39:49 pm »

I don't see your stitches, so you may want to rethink how you describe your sewing method.   Grin

It is always interesting to see how others approach the same project.  (there are plenty of ways to do it, for instance I for one find that I spend too much time if I use tools other than a needle, thread, and beeswax)  With felt you don't need to worry so much about binding as you would with most other fabrics, so definitely a good start. 

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 09:34:00 pm »

I don't see your stitches, so you may want to rethink how you describe your sewing method.   Grin 

Thanks, it's mostly due to the clamp, I think. Without it I tend to meander all over the place (stitchwise, I mean).

Here's the bill now attached to the inner band. I forgot to shoot the process of making the bill, but it's probably fairly obvious from the lacings that it's two pieces of shiny leather (from leather scraps, not pleather or whatever it's called) laced together with heavy waxed thread. the inner edge is curved so that it meshes with the curvature of the hat's lower hem, thus applying stress to the bill in such a manner that it stays curved in the necessary two(?) planes and up out of the wearer's eyes. It took me a bit to realize that such a feature was necessary. Not the prettiest bill ever, but it works.

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2014, 02:45:21 am »

I'm having trouble with the pleating, so for this project I'm going to abort the pleating and just make a pancake or 'beret' style top; I might rip the stitches out later and modify it to a pinwheel; have to see.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2014, 04:55:23 am »

Oh, dear.

Well, after some more thought, I decided to go ahead with the pleats just for the sake of orneryness and learning - and went overboard and finished it all up without taking pictures. I'll try to mock-up a set of steps for the pleating process after the weekend (peforming out in the weather at Washington-on-the-Brazos with teh dulcimer society; I'm glad I have a nice new warn cap for the event!).

Anyway, here's Yorick, my anthropology skull, modeling the finished(?) product:

The headband turned out a bit tall; I may go with webbing or a ribbon about half the width for the next one's headband, maybe a more period-correct fabric.

OK, Yorick, stop being silly, it's bedtime...

D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2014, 01:54:48 pm »

For that style specifically in relation to military....I see what you mean about height. That said heights on caps of that time varied and taller hats were not unusual. 

U.S. Grant is the officer in the background, his friend's hat is frighteningly tall.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2014, 06:49:01 am »

Sorry, Doc, the image doesn't come up.
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2014, 03:00:22 pm »

Wheel hat?

http://marcelohalmen.deviantart.com/art/Grace-Jones-11-11-Wheel-Hat-323582493

Harhar Grin
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2014, 04:54:19 pm »

Danny,

Both of the hats that you made for me were worn at a ceremony inside the Alamo last night.  We had a flag ceremony for the descendants of the defenders.  Since I carried three flags (we present them one at a time & we have more flags than participants), I was able to change caps & show off both of them.  There WAS reenactor interestt, so I've spread your name & that of Brass Kepi about a bit.  Hope they follow up...

Will (Howard)

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: