The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 30, 2017, 12:47:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blog is temporarily offline. See this tweet, follow @brasstech for updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Tamers - A room for those of us with anxiety / depression / etc  (Read 41805 times)
Mme. Ratchet
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #1550 on: March 07, 2017, 06:52:19 pm »

I don't mind answering, but it's mostly because there are those who would misunderstand what I say because of how I have to say it. I'm still trying to figure out what the something is, myself...

I opted to distance myself from my peers as much as possible. My best friend at 16 was an 86 year old lady who lived up the street, for instance. I used my spare time to study and learn. Didn't have friends my own age until my senior year of high school and a little after
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1551 on: March 07, 2017, 08:56:27 pm »

http://www.sfgate.com/style/article/Men-s-clothes-for-women-Suit-yourself-4223929.php

the concept of a dapper is essentially that of women who like an wear suits, vest/waistcoats over button down shirts and trousers, ties and bow ties etc can get them in cuts and shapes that fit and can be tailored for the female shape.

it sounded from your description before that you liked the suited attire but were concerned it would come across masculine. It's a little hard to find a decent breakdown of Dappers as it's a somewhat unmentioned aspect outside of the LGBTQ community and it's a term with different meaning in the past and some regions of the world, so results don't always turn up what you are looking for.

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Rogue Ætherlord

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1552 on: March 07, 2017, 09:28:56 pm »

I've heard the term thrown around LGBQT circles. Not very often though. There's a neighbouring apartment complex where I see a car owned by a transman with a logo "dapper"  Grin  At least in my neck of the woods, very few cisgender men still refer to themselves as "dapper" as that is an anachronistic term nowadays. Cisgender women and Queer Folk will tend to use the term more often.

The concern that it might be too masculine is a valid one though. A suit can be very masculine. The cut of the suit will be the only outline visible to people. I think I'm stating the obvious, but it is a very tricky balance because pre-transition you are approaching it from the male side. Basically when you are on the male side, you need to push the feminine side into view.

Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #1553 on: March 08, 2017, 07:18:50 am »

I've heard the term thrown around LGBQT circles. Not very often though. There's a neighbouring apartment complex where I see a car owned by a transman with a logo "dapper"  Grin  At least in my neck of the woods, very few cisgender men still refer to themselves as "dapper" as that is an anachronistic term nowadays. Cisgender women and Queer Folk will tend to use the term more often.

The concern that it might be too masculine is a valid one though. A suit can be very masculine. The cut of the suit will be the only outline visible to people. I think I'm stating the obvious, but it is a very tricky balance because pre-transition you are approaching it from the male side. Basically when you are on the male side, you need to push the feminine side into view.

Except even in guy-ish mode (basically comfy clothes, no makeup, etc), I get gendered correctly about 50/50, and it's improving...
J. Wilhelm
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #1554 on: March 11, 2017, 03:18:02 am »

*snip*

I know I'm tying knots I should not be tying when I recount my daily events - you're right. But GAH how uncomfortable it is right now. The strangeness continued today with weird events. I mean, REALLY? Read this:

Today I had a pretty weird day with some strange bearded guy I've never met, or talked to, coming into the shop right in the middle of the day, when I was tending a line of customers, and him cutting into the line and interrupting -and with my boss present tending the other customers (!) trying to shake my hand, presenting himself as a married war veteran  Huh , saying that he had seen me many times outside and asking my name and then coming back 15 minutes later to ask me if I was gay  Tongue  Huh

What?  Huh WTF? Nothing wrong with the question, I am, after all, wearing my gender fluidity on my sleeve (and in another thread I did say I was going to be *extra* girly today  Roll Eyes because of how I feel today).

Alright, *snip*

GAAAAH! THE STALKER IS NOW A CUSTOMER AT MY SHOP!! I'm really not happy with this situation! This is bad! Now he's got an excuse to come in and wait outside!
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #1555 on: March 19, 2017, 01:00:12 am »

People have been asking me how much mt leatherwork costa. O_o I've never been good enough at something that people wanted to pay money for it. It's simultaneously awesome and terrifying
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1556 on: March 22, 2017, 12:39:37 pm »

People have been asking me how much mt leatherwork costa. O_o I've never been good enough at something that people wanted to pay money for it. It's simultaneously awesome and terrifying

That is brilliant; if you do decide to make for others don't undersell yourself either.  You're worth it.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #1557 on: March 25, 2017, 05:04:09 am »

Truthfully, I wouldn't know what a fair price would be. I've never had to do it before.
J. Wilhelm
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #1558 on: March 25, 2017, 06:56:30 am »

That sounds like a good advertising slogan. "My leatherwork is simultaneously awesome and terrifying"  Roll Eyes

*snap*

Truthfully, I wouldn't know what a fair price would be. I've never had to do it before.

Look at others who have done leather before you. Skinz n' Hidez (Ian Finch-Feld) is a long time Canadian Steampunk who has done Steampunk leather pieces for various celebrities... He used to be a frequent visitor at Brassgoggles 6-7 years ago.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SkinzNhydez
http://skinz-n-hydez.synthasite.com/
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1559 on: March 26, 2017, 08:21:32 am »

The best advice I ever got about selling my creations was: you could spend all day every day making these to sell to everybody who wants one, or you can decide how many you are willing to make in a month, and price them so that there are only slightly more people who will pay for them than there are items to buy. Then start a waiting list.

Say you could sustainably make 5 in a month, set your price such that seven people would buy them. put two on the waiting list. keep showing and seeding word of mouth the whole time. By the time you finished the seventh one you should have picked up another one or two for the month if not a full month and waiting list again. if there are no buyers to finish a month, start an online store and maintain them as stock until they sell.

the next bit of advice: you will sell hundreds of heart shaped napkin ring that will afford you the chance to make the amazing piece you want to make.

basically, hair ties, bracelets, and other cheap trinkets that you could knock out a dozen in an afternoon and sell for 10$ provide buyers a chance to buy the work of an artist for little more than skipping a cup or two of coffee this week from some big chain, and they get to show off the piece they got from the artist and talk about the other things the artist does with friends. 12 x 10 = 120 for an afternoon when you pull cost of materials out still looks better than the hourly rate I can get for working in a retail store in this area for a days work. It may be intermittent but a little extra in here or there is always nice.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1560 on: March 27, 2017, 03:31:02 pm »

good advice from Rovingjack; otherwise add up cost of materials and sundries (wear and tear on tools, power for equipment, power to light and heat your working area, etc) work out how long each piece takes to make and give yourself at least a living wage, add the two together and you have a price. 
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: