The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 01, 2020, 04:03:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Tamers - A room for those of us with anxiety / depression / etc  (Read 126897 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #525 on: August 03, 2014, 04:30:31 am »

Don't get me wrong, it may actually be early.

It's just that the main melodic runs are so strident, with more of a Locrian than a Myxolydian mode kind of feel, that it seems to me as though it must be later, though admittedly there are baroque-period examples - some of Vivaldi's pieces, for example - that approach that feeling.

I'm getting out of my usual depth, here, so I may have the historical periods a bit skewed.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 04:35:40 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #526 on: August 03, 2014, 04:35:10 am »

Don't get me wrong, it may actually be early.

It's just that the main melodic runs are so strident, with more of a Locrian than a Myxolydian mode kind of feel, that it seems to me as though it must be later, though admittedly there are baroque-period examples - some of Vivaldi's pieces, for example - that approach that feeling.

OK, now I'm glad I took those Music history classes in college  Cheesy

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #527 on: August 03, 2014, 04:36:40 am »

I'm getting out of my depth, here, so I may actually be talking garbage, so don't feel too overwhelmed, lol
Stormcat
Officer

Sir Whiskers, Lord High Mouser and Royal lapwarmer

« Reply #528 on: August 03, 2014, 04:37:24 am »

okay, so

while you were talkin' I was left alone for a whole week!

How do I cope!?!

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #529 on: August 03, 2014, 05:21:08 am »

Huh?
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #530 on: August 03, 2014, 05:35:09 am »

I am literally all alone!

family is over seas!
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #531 on: August 03, 2014, 05:58:37 am »

okay, so

How do I cope!?!

And they left you while we were talking?  Huh I'm not sure what to say...

As far as coping, it depends.  Emotionally or practically?

Emotionally, I'd say that is a rough one.  I get past that by leaving the house whenever I can, and meeting people.  Go to a public library, a cafe, a cinema, things like that.  Are you alone or do you have a boyfriend/girlfriend?

For practically copying, it depends on factors like:

1. Age?  (forgive me for asking just trying to determine if you are an adult or not). Do you have cash at your disposal?
2. Do you have/need a vehicle?  Can you ride a bus?
3. Can you cook meals on your own? Is you pantry in need of stock? Otherwise know where the restaurants are?
4. Do you have helpful neighbours? Or family in the city?
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #532 on: August 03, 2014, 09:08:00 am »

living with and taking care of my parents as I do, I tend to cherish every scrap of alone time I get - except that unlike many people in similar circumstances I actually like having them around; there a =was a period during which they travelled a lot and I was frequently left to fend for myself. Over the past few years I've gotten used to having other people in the house, so I tend to be kind of lonesome when one is in the hospital and the other is sitting with them.

The main way I cope is to stay busy, either working on housework or practicing my instruments, or doing other things like
being online
taking care of family, club and other business
weeding the flowerbeds
pruning things
planting flowers, etc.
mowing the yard
talking to the neighbors' dogs
talking to neighbors over the fences.
attacking/harvesting the encroaching bamboo from next door
Making things/crafting/doing repairs

Lots of outside things for me to do these days, now that Mom or Dad can't really safely do them.
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #533 on: August 03, 2014, 07:37:15 pm »

okay, so

How do I cope!?!

And they left you while we were talking?  Huh I'm not sure what to say...

As far as coping, it depends.  Emotionally or practically?

Emotionally, I'd say that is a rough one.  I get past that by leaving the house whenever I can, and meeting people.  Go to a public library, a cafe, a cinema, things like that.  Are you alone or do you have a boyfriend/girlfriend?

For practically copying, it depends on factors like:

1. Age?  (forgive me for asking just trying to determine if you are an adult or not). Do you have cash at your disposal?
2. Do you have/need a vehicle?  Can you ride a bus?
3. Can you cook meals on your own? Is you pantry in need of stock? Otherwise know where the restaurants are?
4. Do you have helpful neighbours? Or family in the city?

Sorry about the initial message, I was a little distressed.

Anyway, I have money, the ability to cook meals, a vehicle at my disposal and all that. But I'm literally all alone here! I have no neighbors and no friends!
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #534 on: August 03, 2014, 08:53:43 pm »

But you have Us.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #535 on: August 03, 2014, 10:10:13 pm »

Do you feel unsafe, Stormcat?  Because if you feel safe, and are solitary, you can spend time here -- with Us, as Frances points out -- and you won't be alone at all.  And you can enjoy the comforting unconditional warmth of the sleeping beasts around the place.  Or you could seek out an elderly creature, a dog or cat, and there are so many, who has gone blind and ratty and has been dumped by its owners in favor of a cute puppy, and give it a happy ending time to its life.

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Rose Inverness
Snr. Officer

Communing with the Over-soul via you.

« Reply #536 on: August 04, 2014, 05:19:27 pm »

Stormcat, I know the feeling. I live with my folks and they've gone on a few big vacations without me while I've been back at home. It freaks me out quite a bit. Though I do enjoy having the house clean, because that's always the first thing I do once it's empty. Wink

Maybe your work while they're gone can be to think of some things you'd like to learn or do (dancing? art? archery?) and find local places where there are meetups or classes. Meetup.com is pretty good for stuff like that. While we here in the Dragon Tamers Inner Sanctum are lovely and comforting sorts, face to face interaction can be quite wonderful, too. And keep in mind even a beginning of just looking into what you *might* do could be helpful, even if you don't attend such gatherings until your family's return.

We do hope you'll keep coming to see us, and will pour you a cup of tea whenever you wish.

~Mlle. Rose Inverness

That delicate forest flower,   
With scented breath and look so like a smile,   
Seems, as it issues from the shapeless mould,   
An emanation of the indwelling Life,   
A visible token of the upholding Love,   
That are the soul of this great universe.

~William Cullen Bryant

Trains to Steamtown, this way...
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #537 on: August 05, 2014, 03:12:35 am »

I'll be Working on my resilience over in the workshop:

had a day that is best labeled a Monday. Find myself wondering what am I doing? I need to put it behind me and make my way through to at least the end of the month before I start throwing up my hands and giving up on anything just because I had a monday.

J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #538 on: August 05, 2014, 07:19:17 am »

May I make a humble suggestion?  I have noticed that we have a tendency to expose our anxieties in this forum, but we very seldom express the positive side of our lives.

If I may be so cavalier,  I believe it is common practice during behavioural therapy to point out the good events of our lives, so as to try to balance the natural tendency of the depressive mind to just focus on the negative events. You see, I know my anxieties very well, thank you very much.  We are close buddies, my anxieties and myself.  I have no need to constantly expose these anxieties, because it just reinforces the formation of obsessive circuits in my brain - and that is the whole point of psychiatric treatment: to break the obsessive neural paths with therapy.

SO HERE ARE MY POSITIVE NEWS FOR TODAY:

Section 1:  Employment

As of today I am gainfully, if very humbly employed.  It is not much and will barely pay the rent, but it will definitely change my present situation.

As some of you may know I was having a really hard time sharing an apartment with a roommate.  Unfortunately that battle was lost in April as the landlord simply refused to renew my lease.  I did however manage not to get evicted.  I just lost the renewal of the contract (The Orcs won the war and the people of Minas Tirith were finally pushed out from their ancestral land, for those of you who remember my travails in the trading section with my fundraiser).

So I've had to move twice in 3 months and I ended up homeless for a few days as I was unable to secure a habitation one month ago.  

With the help from a local church - or rather from one member of a local church, and later from my family, I was able to move into my present abode, and although my life is marginally more difficult ( I have to walk for up to 45 minutes sometimes), they helped me make the transition to a second income in the form of employment.

Basically they gave me one month of life, which I could use to look for jobs, without worrying about paying rent, and the result is I found a part time job (hopefully I will also get a second part time job).  My goal is to end up with two or 3 separate incomes including my now much-depressed Steampunk business, while I perform the professional job search in the United States and abroad as well.  The former depends on the state of the new US/Russia cold war, and the latter depends on my ability to expatriate myself and analyse global economic trends.

So you see, there is light at the end of the tunnel.  I don't know exactly where the tunnel is leading me to, but I know that in one or 2 years time I may be able to fully recover - US/Russia cold war or not, and offshoring of US jobs or not.  I have worked several alternate plans which include careers in and outside the US, with set goals in a mid to long term of 1 to two years.  But the first step has been taken.

Section 2: Steampunk in the Newspaper

I will be featured in the front page of the Lifestyles section of my local newspaper, The Austin American Statesman, who are featuring an article on Steampunk this following weekend.  I and my anachronistic paraphernalia were photographed at The Driskill hotel, which was built for wealthy "cattle barons" in 1886.  I had never been there,  and while somewhat deceptive from the outside (it has a very "Frontier" look to it), It's truly beautiful inside.

http://www.driskillhotel.com/
http://www.driskillhotel.com/photo-gallery.php

~ ~ ~

And the news above make me very happy today; I'd much rather write about this than set my anxieties on your computer screen.  

So who will follow me in stating some recent positive occurrence in their lives?  Who will slay the next dragon?  I challenge you to take the first step.  I feel particularly bloodthirsty today.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 06:52:05 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #539 on: August 05, 2014, 09:55:15 am »

I am going to Loncon 3 aka Worldcon this month, friends have offered to help if I need it (panic attacks etc.) so I'm going to make it for at least some part of the event.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #540 on: August 05, 2014, 07:34:12 pm »

I am going to Loncon 3 aka Worldcon this month, friends have offered to help if I need it (panic attacks etc.) so I'm going to make it for at least some part of the event.

Good show!  That is exactly what I mean.  Going to an event you like is a good way to treat the problem.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #541 on: August 05, 2014, 11:43:18 pm »

I'll see you there walking stick.  I'll be there on the Thursday.
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #542 on: August 06, 2014, 12:06:07 am »

I start another new job on Thursday - so now I have some employment that isn't seasonal =]
Also I got asked to do a couple of lectures next semester - yay teaching experience!

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #543 on: August 06, 2014, 05:07:31 pm »

I start another new job on Thursday - so now I have some employment that isn't seasonal =]
Also I got asked to do a couple of lectures next semester - yay teaching experience!

Yay! Good luck!
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #544 on: August 07, 2014, 06:24:12 am »

That's the spirit!

Blade Runner quote:

Batty: [taunting Deckard with a counting rhyme] Six! Seven! Go to Hell or go to Heaven!

Deckard: [Deckard smashes an iron rod against Batty's head] Go to Hell!

Batty: [grabbing the iron rod] GOOD! THAT'S THE SPIRIT!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 06:36:36 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #545 on: August 08, 2014, 02:58:25 pm »

Now, now, no beating yourself up. Unless I get to participate... (j/k) Wink
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #546 on: August 08, 2014, 09:13:24 pm »

Ah! Triumph and disaster -- what does that remind me of -- oh yes, Kipling.  In my niche, though these happy and encouraging life-affirming days "keep the little donkey plodding along," I like to preserve a space suspended from both, remembering that there was on the wall at home a framed poem by Kipling including:'If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two impostors just the same.'  It is so restful here, out of time.  I can always pick up the carrot and the stick outside these portals.
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #547 on: August 08, 2014, 10:20:41 pm »

*Sigh* I really hate being left at home all by myself. I got up today at four in the afternoon.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #548 on: August 08, 2014, 11:07:47 pm »

I do this, the two best solutions I know are:-

1) Try going in depth with an art/writing project that interests you, the lack of interruptions is useful.

2) Drink plenty of plain water, dehydration makes you lethargic.
Rose Inverness
Snr. Officer

Communing with the Over-soul via you.

« Reply #549 on: August 11, 2014, 04:24:49 am »

May I make a humble suggestion?  I have noticed that we have a tendency to expose our anxieties in this forum, but we very seldom express the positive side of our lives.

If I may be so cavalier,  I believe it is common practice during behavioural therapy to point out the good events of our lives, so as to try to balance the natural tendency of the depressive mind to just focus on the negative events. You see, I know my anxieties very well, thank you very much.  We are close buddies, my anxieties and myself.  I have no need to constantly expose these anxieties, because it just reinforces the formation of obsessive circuits in my brain - and that is the whole point of psychiatric treatment: to break the obsessive neural paths with therapy.

And the news above make me very happy today; I'd much rather write about this than set my anxieties on your computer screen.  

So who will follow me in stating some recent positive occurrence in their lives?  Who will slay the next dragon?  I challenge you to take the first step.  I feel particularly bloodthirsty today.

YYYYYESSSSSSS!!!! :-D  Go you!!!! And yay positives!! Focusing on them really does help. I've been writing 3 new things I'm grateful for, since October, every night. And every night I'm astonished that there are three distinct things I haven't written of before. There have been a couple repeats and a couple off nights where I fell asleep first, but all in all it's still amazing.

For my good news contribution; I have had the energy and courage to apply to a couple jobs. I had a nice dinner with extended family today, which was peaceful and friendly. I took photos of a friend and her child this week and they came out really well.

Hugs and handshakes all 'round, as appropriate,

Rose*~
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: