The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 13, 2020, 09:53:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Tamers - A room for those of us with anxiety / depression / etc  (Read 130265 times)
Stormcat
Officer
United States United States

Sir Whiskers, Lord High Mouser and Royal lapwarmer

« Reply #500 on: July 30, 2014, 03:35:36 am »

A cloaked figure tentatively surveys the room before entering. The smell of hot tea seems to calm her and she settles in an alcove, still refusing to take her hood off.

Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #501 on: July 30, 2014, 06:21:55 am »

*A noiseless but heavy padding approaches across the Bokhara rug.  The gentle face of the Tuesday comfort hound peers tentatively under the hood, her soft brown eyes inquiring.  She places an only slightly damp tea napkin, embroidered with a small dragon, upon the nearest knee, and brushes a hand with her icy nose.*

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #502 on: July 30, 2014, 07:51:58 pm »

Oh thank you kind doggy, I've been afflicted with depression all my life and lately the symptoms have gotten worse with the loss of my job.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #503 on: July 30, 2014, 11:06:28 pm »

Although things in my life (and in particular job seeking) are still pretty sh*tty (and will probably remain that way), there is a possible silver lining in that I've had a long chat with my Mater which has helped things a bit, and she has tentatively agreed that she and my dad may be willing fund me doing a PhD (we moved into my late grandfather's house last year and they've just put the old family home on the market, and depending on how quickly the house can be sold they may be willing to loan me the £15,000 plus necessary to back to university and study for a PhD). In the event they do, it may well bugger their plans (my dad's planning on retiring next summer and they've been talking about my mum packing in work to move down south, although they may leave it a few more years) and I'll be paying them back for years, it would really help my prospects and may well guarantee me a job far more than anything else, even if I won't have a serious job until I'm nearly 30.

But, small steps, small steps (hopefully they'll get a decent offer on the house soon and we can discuss it properly) and it would be nice to be the first Doctor in the family.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Take my camel, dear. . . .

« Reply #504 on: July 30, 2014, 11:26:01 pm »

My Dear Hooded Lady,
There are many hearths and niches here, one for each tentative arrival; you must remember that everyone here has been battered and bruised, but sheds personas, armour, hoods, etc. while passing through the door. Nobody will be so indelicate as to invade your privacy, save our therapy dogs, squirrels, hedgehogs, etc. to suit; yet you can hear a distant (perhaps very distant) banjo being played by a tentacle, gentle snores from nests of furs, and a certain background sipping and (alas!) slurping and munching. Absolutely safe, private, cosy and discreetly companionable.
Welcome, will you have a Ploughman's or a Cream Tea? A bath, a new dress, a hot water bottle?
Yr. Affct. Gt.-Aunt Camellia

Take my camel, dear, said my aunt Camellia, climbing down from that animal on her return from high mass. The camel, a white Arabian Dhalur (single hump) from the famous herd of the Ruola tribe, had been a parting present, its saddle-bags stuffed with low-carat [sic] gold and flashy orient gems, from a rich desert tycoon. . . .
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #505 on: July 31, 2014, 12:17:59 am »

Welcome, will you have a Ploughman's or a Cream Tea? A bath, a new dress, a hot water bottle?

Tea would be lovely, thanks. you wouldn't happen to have anything sugary to go with it?
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #506 on: July 31, 2014, 12:32:43 am »

Cake trolley steams up to the table,  three magnificent shelves hold cakes buns meringues macaroons scones etc. You'll find the perfect accompaniment to your tea here.
Rose Inverness
Snr. Officer

Communing with the Over-soul via you.

« Reply #507 on: July 31, 2014, 05:56:25 am »

I had a bad dream that I'd been banned from posting (for a day) due to double-posting last time.  Embarrassed Oi. Anxiety dream! I believe it honors the co-inhabitants of this room that I think so highly of you all as to be anxious not to lose you.

Wink Well! Enough of that. Time to lean back into my enormous plush chair with a soft pup laying under my feet, and warm mug of cocoa chai. And close my eyes to hear the gentle notes of banjo and animals who sigh with contentment as they sleep.

Stormcat- In case you fancy, there are lovely soft (modest) pajamas in the wardrobe by the door. It doubles as a changing-room, for one-at-a-time. Smiley Welcome.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 06:00:00 am by Rose Inverness » Logged

That delicate forest flower,   
With scented breath and look so like a smile,   
Seems, as it issues from the shapeless mould,   
An emanation of the indwelling Life,   
A visible token of the upholding Love,   
That are the soul of this great universe.

~William Cullen Bryant

Trains to Steamtown, this way...
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #508 on: July 31, 2014, 07:45:16 am »

I am now both anxious and depressed about this job situation. I could have very seriously helped myself into a better situation over the next three months... phew, good thing the government benefits folk do let that sort of thing get out of hand.  Angry

So the best job I've had in as long as I can remember is something I'm going to have to quit, not because I want to, or because I couldn't do it, but because it's seasonal and it would cost me the benefits that keep me alive.

Worse is a friend got me the job and now I'm tarnishing her word if I do walk away from it. and I don't have alternative jobs. so I will scrape by on benefits for months while we search for work for me that won't do this to me. It's enough to leave one feeling bitter.

Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #509 on: July 31, 2014, 09:07:03 am »

Dear Steamfish -- Hope the life of a scholar opens up for you -- it is all many of us in this room are suited for, and is, alas, open to so few!  And then not for a lifetime.  Anxiety and depression seem to be the curse of those who cannot find a place in the outer world.  In my niche, which I have made so congenial with a Peaceable Kingdom tapestry and green velvet drapes and naturally-shed swansdown cushions and copper coffee machine and Moroccan lanterns I am imagining a traveling Steampunk caravanserai which misfits may join, crafting and writing and displaying their talents wherever they set up camp with their varda or steam wagons. . . means of livelihood, moral support, congenial sub-culture . . .
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #510 on: July 31, 2014, 12:49:20 pm »

*Sets out a tray of glasses and one pitcher of blueberry, one of strawberry mint lemonade*

I thought about doing craft shows for a living not too long ago, I was going to make fancy pet beds. (this idea came about due to an utter lack of other apparent options)

Fortunately I got accepted into welding school that fall, and now I have a job at a fab shop here in town. It's hard, hot (dear gods is it hot right now) and kind of dangerous, but it pays really well and the hours are- well, there's a lot of them, which is better than anything else I've ever had.

I'm kind of depressed about the lack of free time, but I just hope I'll get used to it. With luck a job like this will let me save up enough money to buy a piece of land within a few years, and start building a house. (Which is going to take some design ideas from the Dragon rooms here, or at least parallel them.)

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Rose Inverness
Snr. Officer

« Reply #511 on: July 31, 2014, 05:45:50 pm »

*Sets out a tray of glasses and one pitcher of blueberry, one of strawberry mint lemonade*

I thought about doing craft shows for a living not too long ago, I was going to make fancy pet beds. (this idea came about due to an utter lack of other apparent options)

Fortunately I got accepted into welding school that fall, and now I have a job at a fab shop here in town. It's hard, hot (dear gods is it hot right now) and kind of dangerous, but it pays really well and the hours are- well, there's a lot of them, which is better than anything else I've ever had.

I'm kind of depressed about the lack of free time, but I just hope I'll get used to it. With luck a job like this will let me save up enough money to buy a piece of land within a few years, and start building a house. (Which is going to take some design ideas from the Dragon rooms here, or at least parallel them.)

Alexis that is amazing. I love welding. Yes it's hot though. Drink lots of water and protect your eyes. Ah you're so lucky. (aka hard-working)
Hmm. Maybe I should get welding work.... /train enough, etc. Sigh.

Arabella, that sounds fantastic. I will join!! Smiley

I woke this morning from not so happy dreams. Anxiety pervaded them. At least they're less frequent than they once were.

*Pours a tall glass of strawberry mint lemonade and enjoys*
CorneliaCarton
Zeppelin Captain
Scotland Scotland

Gravatar

« Reply #512 on: July 31, 2014, 08:54:25 pm »

I'm anxious for a completely different reason.
I met my twin flame. Today.
Someone I haven't spoken to, or seen, for about two years. Someone I've wanted to be with since I met him. Talking to him, the concept of seeing him, leaves my heart pounding almost painfully. I get jittery, start shaking and get butterflies in my stomach. I feel almost breathless.
Seeing him today, I'm feeling all of the above, and it was difficult for me to look him in the eye because I just felt so... nervous. And he always had that effect on me, ever since I met him. It made it difficult for me to be around him because I've always been in a relationship.
But now I'm not.
And what's worse, there mere idea of being with him in an intimate way, it makes me nervous as Hell. Not in a bad way, but my inner prude is freaking out. I want to do that, no questions about it, but around him I feel like I did before my first time.
I honestly don't know what to do. I'm just out of a relationship and I can't do this to myself again. Even though there is a massive "what if?" hanging there.

Ginny Audriana Irondust Moravia. Pleased t' meet ya.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #513 on: August 01, 2014, 02:41:56 am »

Don't call it off, but do take it a bit slower, I'd think. But then again, I don't have anybody; my advice may be total crap in that respect.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #514 on: August 01, 2014, 03:48:50 am »

Alexis that is amazing. I love welding. Yes it's hot though. Drink lots of water and protect your eyes. Ah you're so lucky. (aka hard-working)
Hmm. Maybe I should get welding work.... /train enough, etc. Sigh.

Arabella, that sounds fantastic. I will join!! Smiley

I woke this morning from not so happy dreams. Anxiety pervaded them. At least they're less frequent than they once were.

*Pours a tall glass of strawberry mint lemonade and enjoys*

I found that welding isn't a very difficult field to get into, training wise. And I've heard there's a good amount of job opportunity right now, since teaching trade skills has been neglected for the past few decades in the US. If you'd like I can PM some info on what I did as far as school and such.

*Nibbles a white coconut sugar cookie with lemony icing*

Why do so many modern TV shows have that annoying drama and tension inducing noise added to them? It used to be that discovery channel / national geographic type programs were fun and relaxing to watch, now they just make me all nervous and wound up. And this episode of river monsters would be decently scary enough without the sound effects.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #515 on: August 01, 2014, 06:44:03 am »

*Lady in fanciful Pre-Raphaelite dressing-gown trails past from the cave pool, purloining some scones and a dog biscuit from the steam trolley.*

I should like to know about welding too.  On a fairly small scale, as in leaded lights, Tiffany-style panes or lamps? 
A wonderful skill to be able to make a living at!
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #516 on: August 01, 2014, 03:45:04 pm »

*Lady in fanciful Pre-Raphaelite dressing-gown trails past from the cave pool, purloining some scones and a dog biscuit from the steam trolley.*

I should like to know about welding too.  On a fairly small scale, as in leaded lights, Tiffany-style panes or lamps? 
A wonderful skill to be able to make a living at!

Also useful for jewelry making, on an even smaller scale!
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #517 on: August 01, 2014, 05:39:10 pm »

at least where I'm from we call that soldering. Soldered jewelry and soldered stained glass. I've done a bit of both. I may get back into some again in the next year or so.
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #518 on: August 02, 2014, 03:57:21 am »

Lead, bronze, and brass would be done with soldering or brazing, or maybe oxy-acetalyne welding (I'm not sure since I've never done any oxy-acy, it's something you rarely see in production, apparently, so they didn't teach it.)

I'm working in a steel fabrication shop. The stuff I do is 1/16th flux core wire, welding steel to put together really, really big equipment for lumber mills. The work environment is a little rough, the shop is an open steel building with no AC, and it's been a hundredsomething outside for the past few days. (I have to completely cover up when I'm working, since flux core welding spits little drops of molten metal everywhere.) I have to drag a lot of heavy stuff around (small pieces of steel, gas cylinders, etc. The welding machines are on wheeled carts, but they probably weight 150+ lbs) Along with that there's working with power tools that can seriously hurt you if you misuse them, and working with the other welders in the shop. (My co-workers are rough around the edges, but all nice guys.) It's a little bit like being in the universe of Firefly, hard, rough, but sometimes really fun. My job description, simplified, is playing with fire and hitting things with hammers. Also, anything that weighs more than a pencil is, potentially, a hammer.

That said, there are a lot of different types of welding and a lot of different work environments. Stick welding (SMAW) tends to be used in field work that's done outdoors in the weather (since a stick welding setup is the most portable) Flux core (FCAW) is used in fab shops like mine, it's less portable but fast and very durable. Tungsten (TIG) welding is used in high-precision and specialty work, and it has to be kept very clean so (as far as I know) it's often the kind of production work where you'd be in a climate-controlled workshop putting together small intricate stuff (bicycles, light fixtures, seats for buses, etc) TIG is also used in power plants to weld things like high-pressure steam pipes, since modern steam pipes need extremely precise welds, otherwise turbulence in the steam will eat the inside of the pipe.
Rose Inverness
Snr. Officer

« Reply #519 on: August 02, 2014, 04:29:37 am »

I found that welding isn't a very difficult field to get into, training wise. And I've heard there's a good amount of job opportunity right now, since teaching trade skills has been neglected for the past few decades in the US. If you'd like I can PM some info on what I did as far as school and such.

That would be excellent!! Smiley Please do, I would love info on what you did to pursue it. I may or may not go for it right away, I've had a heat intolerance for a few years but it has been waning decidedly... so who knows? Maybe increased tolerance is in my future.

I avoid most tv. Netflix has the occasional good series that I get into, but I can't watch commercials.

Also, to any others of us who are on the brink of 'relation-shipping' of any kind, let us all* remember it's ok to put it on ice.... not every decision needs to be made Right Now. In fact, many decisions don't need to be made At All. A highly relaxing fact.

*(includes me)

[draws a patterned curtain around her windowseat nook, and watches the rain drops lingering here and there as they run down the panes of glass]

and the curtain, though would need to be larger:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #520 on: August 02, 2014, 06:04:46 am »

worked well today, still a bit sore and tired but having trouble sleeping lately. not sure why. oh and my digestive tract has been very sensative but not bad to the degree that it had been for all these years. I'm not sure if it's the heat, or all the exercise causing some disruption, or the stress of a new job and all the government hoops I've had to jump through.

this evening I had a ... I guess I'd call it a happy sad moment. I was reminded of one of my favorite projects I did some years ago and how at the time I imagined the fun of it going forward. But eventually it reached a point where it felt like it was not developing a following and I developed a feeling like I was doing the internet art equivalent of talking to myself. Then my life went through so much chaos that I just stopped.

I miss some of that time and experience. I'd kinda like to retry Tuatha FionnUisce and get the entire story done this time. And goober nice to meep you was just child like play that I enjoyed.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #521 on: August 02, 2014, 07:34:02 am »

*moves to the Grotto for the acoustics and starts playing Brushy Forks Of Johns Creek.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #522 on: August 03, 2014, 03:03:03 am »

*moves to the Grotto for the acoustics and starts playing Brushy Forks Of Johns Creek.

Is this the one you mean?  It sounds late Colonial-Period American.  Some videos show it played on clawhammer gourd type banjos (I'm just quoting, I'm not an expert on the subject  Grin).

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 03:20:15 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #523 on: August 03, 2014, 03:32:46 am »

This is closer to it, but still not quite there:
http://youtu.be/qF-Hoa_GduY

Please click the spoiler link for the long-winded explanation (lol):
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 04:26:07 am by MWBailey » Logged
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #524 on: August 03, 2014, 04:22:24 am »

This is closer to it, but still not quite there:
http://youtu.be/qF-Hoa_GduY

Please click the spoiler link for the long-winded explanation (lol):

It makes perfect sense, actually, Mr. Bailey. I'd like to hear the one played in Major scale if you find it (probably that's why I though it sounded "early").
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: