The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 01, 2020, 03:40:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Tamers - A room for those of us with anxiety / depression / etc  (Read 126896 times)
Rose Inverness
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Communing with the Over-soul via you.

« Reply #475 on: July 24, 2014, 05:01:20 am »

Well, unless musk deer can fly up to 30,000 ft of altitude, I think I'll be safe aboard the USAS Orca.

*wanders in from the sculpture garden*

Anybody seen my magic reindeer dust--?

...What?

Is it sparkly? I may have topped my toast with it. >.< But haven't eaten it yet. Here you go. However I think M. Wilhelm ought to be granted a reprieve. After all, it was an honest mistake made several posts ago...

I believe I shall recline again. The observatory-ceiling is lovely this time of night.

That delicate forest flower,   
With scented breath and look so like a smile,   
Seems, as it issues from the shapeless mould,   
An emanation of the indwelling Life,   
A visible token of the upholding Love,   
That are the soul of this great universe.

~William Cullen Bryant

Trains to Steamtown, this way...
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #476 on: July 24, 2014, 07:19:51 am »

Yesterday I was more hasty and occupied in thoughts, than my stomache could handle. A sleepover with our daughter's cousin. Fun, but a bit hectic. It's super hectic at work, 2 days before summer vacation. The house is a bombshell. Well, not a huge bomb, just a small handgranade kind of. Today I should have been commuting by bicycle, meaning getting up an hour earlier. Last night, my stomache disagreed with that.
Now my wife, daughter and her cousin have to take the train and bus back to the cousin's house. I'm bummed, frustrated and tired.
This morning I had breakfast at a nearby forrest to slow down my brain. It helped, a bit.

Back to the last couple of days of hectic work....

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #477 on: July 24, 2014, 07:52:17 pm »

Mom's in hospital for a rather catastrophic nosebleed. She has a platelet deficiency problem, so a nosebleed can be a rather serious matter. Stress can cause things like nosebleeds, and I have had my own set of ailments lately, so I can't help thinking maybe I caused Mom's problem this time. It's possible for a person who has her kind of problem to bleed to death internally before they manage to diagnose the problem correctly, so yes, I'm a bit anxious these days. Sorry if my zaniness has put or puts anyone off ( It's like a relief valve).

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #478 on: July 24, 2014, 08:12:52 pm »

Oh wow.  I have not ventured into the Observatory yet. 

My, that is impressive indeed.  Except that it makes me feel really, really, small and insignificant.  But mind-blowing all the same.
CorneliaCarton
Zeppelin Captain
Scotland Scotland

Gravatar

« Reply #479 on: July 24, 2014, 11:05:21 pm »

I am a God damn moron.
My partner basically gave me an excuse to end our relationship today. And I didn't. Why? Because I didn't want to end the relationship with him thinking it was because of him and his insecurities. That would have been cruel.

Ginny Audriana Irondust Moravia. Pleased t' meet ya.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #480 on: July 25, 2014, 12:57:37 am »

I dunno, Cornelia...maybe you're not a moron but actually rather intuitive.

A while back, I ended a relationship (albeit not a lifemate type of relationship; me being a male, it might not be exactly the same, but still), and the other person kept coming up with reasons why we were incompatible and I shouldn't feel bad about things between us. Maybe it's the mark of a cold, nefarious personality on my part, but I'm normally just a bit too pragmatic to pass up such an opportunity; I took it, thinking it was for the best. Lo and behold, they got back in touch with me a bit later and were all on about how they came up with the reason, and thus knew me better than I knew myself, and they KNEW, absolutely, incontroveribly, that we should go around together again, and I owed them for being such a cold fish, yadda yadda yadda... This time, the ol' pragmatism, coupled with my rather cynical intuition, kicked in. I foresaw what promised to be a long cycle of recurring breakups and psychologically-analytical reunion arguments, and said, "No thanks." I have enough demons bouncin' around in this fool head without some manipulative *ahem* well, you get the idea. I'm still pretty lonely, but at least I don't have somebody clinging to my side like a psychiatric remora, constantly telling me what a sick puppy I am. I'm just self-effacing enough to believe or put up with it for the sake of love or whatever if I haven't seen through it yet/if there's anything through which a different reality can be seen.

Possibly, I'm just an evilly pragmatic jerk. ... In any case, Maybe if you look at things from a different angle, you could find you're better off doing your own reasoning. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 01:04:51 am by MWBailey » Logged
CorneliaCarton
Zeppelin Captain
Scotland Scotland

Gravatar

« Reply #481 on: July 25, 2014, 08:28:52 am »

I just feel like an idiot because I asked the Universe for a way out, and when it gave me a way 8ut I didn't take it.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #482 on: July 25, 2014, 07:32:41 pm »

Might not have been the universe. In any case, be ready for the next opportunity; it's not as if there's some kind of limit on tries. Just try not to give up entirely on yourself or on finding a special somebody. If it's not this certain guy, maybe it can be another somebody.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 07:38:20 pm by MWBailey » Logged
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #483 on: July 25, 2014, 07:54:28 pm »

I tend to look on gifts of what you ask for from the 'universe' rather like a Dungeons and Dragons player looks at a suddenly released Genie (djinn). It will offer you the opportunity to destroy your own life with exactly what you asked for.

Perfect opportunities are rarely what they seem. I've grown jaded enough in my life to look at them with more than a little suspiscion.

Far better to be on a break and go on with your life to allow him to gradually realize things are not as had convinced himself they were. A the image of you he's attached to is the person you are and it's not your fault for not meeting his expectations, he just made you out to be someone you are not because that's what he needed to believe in.

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #484 on: July 25, 2014, 08:15:22 pm »

A while back, I ended a relationship (albeit not a lifemate type of relationship; me being a male, it might not be exactly the same, but still), and the other person kept coming up with reasons why we were incompatible and I shouldn't feel bad about things between us. Maybe it's the mark of a cold, nefarious personality on my part, but I'm normally just a bit too pragmatic to pass up such an opportunity; I took it, thinking it was for the best. Lo and behold, they got back in touch with me a bit later and were all on about how they came up with the reason, and thus knew me better than I knew myself, and they KNEW, absolutely, incontroveribly, that we should go around together again, and I owed them for being such a cold fish, yadda yadda yadda... This time, the ol' pragmatism, coupled with my rather cynical intuition, kicked in. I foresaw what promised to be a long cycle of recurring breakups and psychologically-analytical reunion arguments, and said, "No thanks." I have enough demons bouncin' around in this fool head without some manipulative *ahem* well, you get the idea. I'm still pretty lonely, but at least I don't have somebody clinging to my side like a psychiatric remora, constantly telling me what a sick puppy I am. I'm just self-effacing enough to believe or put up with it for the sake of love or whatever if I haven't seen through it yet/if there's anything through which a different reality can be seen.
Possibly, I'm just an evilly pragmatic jerk. ... In any case, Maybe if you look at things from a different angle, you could find you're better off doing your own reasoning. Just a thought.

The above did not and does not refer to anyone whom I have met or struck up a friendship with on BG. In fact, it was before the internet had developed into anything resembling the communicative coherence that we enjoy today (AKA back in the very early 1990s. Yes, I really am even older than gravel - dirt being younger than gravel, as it's basically ground-down gravel. Quickie skull-crushin' geology lesson now concluded. have a nice day).
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #485 on: July 25, 2014, 08:24:56 pm »

(AKA back in the very early 1990s. Yes, I really am even older than gravel - dirt being younger than gravel, as it's basically ground-down gravel. Quickie skull-crushin' geology lesson now concluded. have a nice day).

Forgive my ignorance with regard to geology, but I always thought that the smaller and more ground down the particles of a mineral substance the OLDER it was, since grinding down in nature occurs as a result of weathering over time, therefore the more weathered something is, the older it is.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #486 on: July 25, 2014, 09:18:38 pm »

(AKA back in the very early 1990s. Yes, I really am even older than gravel - dirt being younger than gravel, as it's basically ground-down gravel. Quickie skull-crushin' geology lesson now concluded. have a nice day).

Forgive my ignorance with regard to geology, but I always thought that the smaller and more ground down the particles of a mineral substance the OLDER it was, since grinding down in nature occurs as a result of weathering over time, therefore the more weathered something is, the older it is.

We're actually saying the same thing in different ways, if you think about it. In any case my mind works better the other way, and yours works better that way. Different strokes, as the saying goes. And I have to admit, geologically speaking, my analogy is a bit off; a friend of mine, who is a geology professor, would probably have leaping fits if I told that (my skull-crushin' analogy) to one of his students.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 09:22:47 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Take my camel, dear. . . .

« Reply #487 on: July 25, 2014, 11:04:18 pm »

My Dear Mr Bailey,
Allow me a little poetic license, in my ignorance of geology; I am under the impression that great pressure and heat applied to minerals creates precious gems You could be a diamond!
C.W.

Take my camel, dear, said my aunt Camellia, climbing down from that animal on her return from high mass. The camel, a white Arabian Dhalur (single hump) from the famous herd of the Ruola tribe, had been a parting present, its saddle-bags stuffed with low-carat [sic] gold and flashy orient gems, from a rich desert tycoon. . . .
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #488 on: July 26, 2014, 12:59:02 am »

My Dear Mr Bailey,
Allow me a little poetic license, in my ignorance of geology; I am under the impression that great pressure and heat applied to minerals creates precious gems You could be a diamond!
C.W.

LOL, I'm not sure I'm there yet.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 03:48:48 am by MWBailey » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #489 on: July 26, 2014, 11:58:06 am »

Oh wow.  I have not ventured into the Observatory yet. 

My, that is impressive indeed.  Except that it makes me feel really, really, small and insignificant.  But mind-blowing all the same.
However, one thing to remember is that, as far we know, we are the only creatures within it with the sentience to appreciate its beauty and attempt to undertsand its complexity, and as such that makes us, I feel, a pretty important part of it. And, if it is of any small comfort to all those here experiencing life's trials and challenges, we are all carry that undoubtedly increadibly rare spark of self-awaremness, and so are all unique, important and worthwhile, no matter what circumstance or others may say to the contrary.

Yours,
Miranda.
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Take my camel, dear. . . .

« Reply #490 on: July 26, 2014, 10:21:25 pm »

My Dear,
Brava!
C.W.
CorneliaCarton
Zeppelin Captain
Scotland Scotland

Gravatar

« Reply #491 on: July 26, 2014, 10:28:48 pm »

It's over. For good this time.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #492 on: July 26, 2014, 10:54:22 pm »

I'll raise a hesitant glass in your direction. I've avoided commenting on your situation so far so at to try and avoid seeming like I want to become some kind of 'agony uncle', but I'm sure this will help you both feel better and move forwards, since my break-up with my ex gf went along similar lines to your own separation (we agreed to 'break up' for a month or so then in order to get some time to ourselves then we met to discuss our thought and I ended it despite my misgivings about her ability to cope without me due to her own mental issues. She proposed we go back to 'square one' and treat things as though we'd just started seeing one another but I felt that trying to force thing to go back to where they were would just cause more problems for us).  Really I think ending things worked out better for us both.
CorneliaCarton
Zeppelin Captain
Scotland Scotland

Gravatar

« Reply #493 on: July 26, 2014, 11:33:48 pm »

*sighs*
I've been in his shoes. It's not fun for either side.
Baroness Lara DeTomey
Deck Hand
Italy Italy

« Reply #494 on: July 27, 2014, 06:50:22 am »

Returned here for relax... Shooting down all those evil sky-pirates is really getting tiring....

In need of a cup of tea and some cookies... and a tube full of warm and perfumed water....
 Roll Eyes
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #495 on: July 27, 2014, 08:52:29 am »

There's a nice bath area beyond the steam boiler and the chimney.  It is warm and quiet there and there is a shelf of books.

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #496 on: July 27, 2014, 03:48:39 pm »

Actually there are a variety of pleasant bathing areas and all manner of interesting nooks and crannies in around here.  Our architect has a creative way with space, she says that M.C. Escher made a nice start but, she says, he simplified too much.
Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #497 on: July 27, 2014, 04:24:50 pm »

Ahhhh, I have found the nice cool bath. I don't think I am built for July, above 25 degrees my brain shuts down and although storms cool the air down, the thunder scares me half to death. Cool, dark and quiet is a wonderful sanctuary.

~A~
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #498 on: July 27, 2014, 11:45:11 pm »

Bravo! Congrats and well-wishings!
CorneliaCarton
Zeppelin Captain
Scotland Scotland

Gravatar

« Reply #499 on: July 29, 2014, 01:11:24 pm »

I actually feel okay, all things considered.
Certainly less depressed than I was.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: