The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 21, 2020, 07:55:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Tamers - A room for those of us with anxiety / depression / etc  (Read 115528 times)
CorneliaCarton
Zeppelin Captain
Scotland Scotland

Gravatar

« Reply #300 on: May 24, 2014, 08:00:36 am »

I'm sorry for your loss, J. Wilhelm.
If you need an ear, don't hesitate to pm me.
Apologies, I can't have hot chocolate, unless it's made from soy milk. Lactose intolerant and all that.

Ginny Audriana Irondust Moravia. Pleased t' meet ya.
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #301 on: May 24, 2014, 08:55:19 pm »

All food intolerances and sensitivities are left in the umbrella stand to the left of the door as you come in.
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Take my camel, dear. . . .

« Reply #302 on: May 24, 2014, 11:26:21 pm »

Ah, dear Frances, how true! Indeed, all intolerances and sensitivities are to be left outside! And the Umbrella Stand has a wonderful mystical property - or should I say, Lost Property. . . . For, in a manner for which umbrellas are notorious, the troubles in the Umbrella Stand are invariably lost, and when you leave the Room you can't remember where you put them.
C.W.
P.S. The Umbrella Stand is, of course, an antique made out of an elephant's foot:
P.P.S. For those of us upset on behalf of the elephant, let us tell ourselves that it was evil and didn't deserve to live.

Take my camel, dear, said my aunt Camellia, climbing down from that animal on her return from high mass. The camel, a white Arabian Dhalur (single hump) from the famous herd of the Ruola tribe, had been a parting present, its saddle-bags stuffed with low-carat [sic] gold and flashy orient gems, from a rich desert tycoon. . . .
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #303 on: May 25, 2014, 12:07:28 pm »

Ah, dear Frances, how true! Indeed, all intolerances and sensitivities are to be left outside! And the Umbrella Stand has a wonderful mystical property - or should I say, Lost Property. . . . For, in a manner for which umbrellas are notorious, the troubles in the Umbrella Stand are invariably lost, and when you leave the Room you can't remember where you put them.
C.W.
P.S. The Umbrella Stand is, of course, an antique made out of an elephant's foot:
P.P.S. For those of us upset on behalf of the elephant, let us tell ourselves that it was evil and didn't deserve to live.

And for those of you wondering what happened to the other three feet; one serves as the ice bucket behind the bar, and the other two form the legs for a rather fetching footstool.

P.S. The tusks are available for anyone who fancies trying a spot of scrimshaw.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #304 on: May 25, 2014, 01:23:41 pm »

Oh, I was expecting that somebody had finally fixed the famed 5-legged Elephant.

http://www.redeemer-church.org/5_legged_elephant.jpg

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #305 on: May 26, 2014, 04:01:44 am »

I'm sorry for your loss, J. Wilhelm.
If you need an ear, don't hesitate to pm me.
Apologies, I can't have hot chocolate, unless it's made from soy milk. Lactose intolerant and all that.

Thank you Dear Ms. Carton.  And thank you for the offer.  I'm doing pretty well, really.  I guess I have too many other problems around me to think about it too much   Undecided  I'm still awaiting word from my uncle on the wake for my grandfather.  I know that it's hard for all of us and my uncle also is deeply troubled with severe health issues of his own, but I don't know if it's good to wait too long for those things.  Normally when choosing a funeral as closure, you have to get it over with rather quickly.  But a "pending wake" ... it's like there is no closure.

Oh, I was expecting that somebody had finally fixed the famed 5-legged Elephant.

http://www.redeemer-church.org/5_legged_elephant.jpg

Escher, the elephant is doing well.  They have him climbing stairs on an "infinite stairway" in front of the church.  I always get lost in that church on Sunday Mass - I never know whether I should be looking up, down left or right, and its strange watching Father Flannagan get extremely frustrated when it comes time for Holy Communion.  It was a really bad idea to use a Klein Bottle for the wine.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 04:13:54 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Rose Inverness
Snr. Officer

Communing with the Over-soul via you.

« Reply #306 on: May 29, 2014, 05:33:55 am »

Escher, the elephant is doing well.  They have him climbing stairs on an "infinite stairway" in front of the church.  I always get lost in that church on Sunday Mass - I never know whether I should be looking up, down left or right, and its strange watching Father Flannagan get extremely frustrated when it comes time for Holy Communion.  It was a really bad idea to use a Klein Bottle for the wine.

Lol, very clever, sir.

*Large cat wanders over to the bizarrely-oversized high-backed chair and walks back and forth on its prone occupant's back to squish out all the tension that has accumulated while in the outer world, rather than inner sanctum. The result is a deep sense of peace and adoration. Samson the cat is particularly skilled at infusing peaceful adoration...*

That delicate forest flower,   
With scented breath and look so like a smile,   
Seems, as it issues from the shapeless mould,   
An emanation of the indwelling Life,   
A visible token of the upholding Love,   
That are the soul of this great universe.

~William Cullen Bryant

Trains to Steamtown, this way...
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #307 on: May 30, 2014, 06:25:06 am »

Well, here we go again. EverybodyhatesmenobodylovesmeI'lljustgoeatworms...

Manic moodswing in 3...2...1...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Take my camel, dear. . . .

« Reply #308 on: May 30, 2014, 07:22:58 pm »

My Dear Mr. Bailey,
Your convalescence is proving interesting! Are you playing that tune on the Banjo?
C.W.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #309 on: May 30, 2014, 07:46:26 pm »

My Dear Mr. Bailey,
Your convalescence is proving interesting! Are you playing that tune on the Banjo?
C.W.

Take advantage of the opportunity and if you ever go manic then you can do this:
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,38427.msg902099.html#msg902099
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #310 on: May 30, 2014, 08:26:02 pm »

My Dear Mr. Bailey,
C.W.

As a matter of fact, I was... and also trying to imagine playing it on the fiddle.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #311 on: May 30, 2014, 08:32:43 pm »

Take advantage of the opportunity and if you ever go manic then you can do this:
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,38427.msg902099.html#msg902099

Now that was inspiring *diabolical giggle* (ok, now STOP that, MW...)
Rose Inverness
Snr. Officer

« Reply #312 on: May 31, 2014, 05:31:06 am »

Our lounge here is sooo similar to the wonderful rooms she mentions:
http://cauldronsandcupcakes.com/2014/05/28/guided-meditation-for-orienting-mind-awareness/

It's a lovely guided meditation, with a gift of a great tool that can be used Any time. As a side note though, I left the basement room she mentions much sooner than she instructed (and nothing bad came of that... glances backwards at the tail that materialized... just kidding).
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #313 on: June 01, 2014, 12:43:04 am »

not really super sad today but got a bit smushed emotionally after I read some info on a friends page today. Apparently I could be earning twice what I earn now and still qualify as in poverty, and statistically the poverty line is about half what it should be to mark what a person in this country need to have a descent standard of living.

I'm not really insulted that someone might think my standards of living are bad, in some ways they are, but in others I think I lead a richer life than many people. It's just a realization of how far down I am. We are not really talking about how far I'd have to climb to reach the median household income, we are talking one quarter of what it would take to not be seen as something other then a bottom dweller.

It made it even more clear to me that I don't even rate on the chart of being an american. Culturally and economically I'm a footnote of what the bottom end of the bell curve looks like. an example of what everyone should strive to surpass.

CorneliaCarton
Zeppelin Captain
Scotland Scotland

Gravatar

« Reply #314 on: June 01, 2014, 06:41:51 am »

Woke up at 2am to go to the bathroom. As soon as I stood ip I was hit with a wave of dizziness and nausea. Walking to the bathroom was horrible, the whole time I felt like I was going to throw up.
I'm on prozac but I didn't do anything last night I shouldn't have, like drink alcohol or take painkillers.
For half a second I thought I had Labyrinthitis.
I still feel ill this morning and have half a mind to phone NHS 24.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #315 on: June 02, 2014, 03:50:50 am »

I've had a few students in my charge who were on Prozac and similar. Depending on their constitutions, some could get sick on the stuff if they ate anything more complex or highly seasoned than the blandest kind of food. Some could tolerate just about anything, even tabasco-laced tamales, but all had some kind of reaction when dosage was begun or increased, sometimes when it was decreased.

I've had similar symptoms from taking my appetite suppressant/weightloss meds. Apparently, the best way to go with any drugs that have the sick feeling sideffect is to take things slow and careful when the dosage changes, or if you miss a dose or two and go back "on" after a time.

A sidenote: I've also had similar symptoms resulting from extremely low blood pressure (result of both meds and large weight losses), so if you're on BP or anti-hypertension meds, I'd think that could be a factor as well.

Just trying to help, sorry if I'm being irritating.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #316 on: June 02, 2014, 05:04:27 am »

Woke up at 2am to go to the bathroom. As soon as I stood ip I was hit with a wave of dizziness and nausea. Walking to the bathroom was horrible, the whole time I felt like I was going to throw up.
I'm on prozac but I didn't do anything last night I shouldn't have, like drink alcohol or take painkillers.
For half a second I thought I had Labyrinthitis.
I still feel ill this morning and have half a mind to phone NHS 24.
I've had a few students in my charge who were on Prozac and similar. Depending on their constitutions, some could get sick on the stuff if they ate anything more complex or highly seasoned than the blandest kind of food. Some could tolerate just about anything, even tabasco-laced tamales, but all had some kind of reaction when dosage was begun or increased, sometimes when it was decreased.

I've had similar symptoms from taking my appetite suppressant/weightloss meds. Apparently, the best way to go with any drugs that have the sick feeling sideffect is to take things slow and careful when the dosage changes, or if you miss a dose or two and go back "on" after a time.

A sidenote: I've also had similar symptoms resulting from extremely low blood pressure (result of both meds and large weight losses), so if you're on BP or anti-hypertension meds, I'd think that could be a factor as well.

Just trying to help, sorry if I'm being irritating.

I'm a bit confused, though.  Prozac seems to be 2 or three generations old as antidepressants go, and also presents more risks (dependency).  Are selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRIs), and serotonin–norepinephrine re-uptake inhibitors not applicable? 1st. generation SNRI's (Wellbutrin), 2nd gen. SNRI's (Venlafaxine) would seem more "modern" to me... It seems to me there are other options.

I did have the nausea thing with Venlafaxine but that went away.  I soon learned to calm my stomach by eating!  When I got nauseous it was time to eat!  I also suggest taking ginger capsules.  Extremely effective in calming the pwrst nausea and upset stomach. 

I took two today as yesterday at my grandfathers wake drank quite a bit of Tequila, 4 bottles of beer, and about two pounds of brisket, one pound of barbecue chicken and another one in Mexican pastries.  The alcohol never affected me because I basically ate all day long!  But my stomach was destroyed by the morning.  It only took 1/2 hr. for the ginger tablets to do their magic, and by noon I was having a normal breakfast.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #317 on: June 02, 2014, 02:22:25 pm »

I'm a bit confused, though.  Prozac seems to be 2 or three generations old as antidepressants go, and also presents more risks (dependency).  Are selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRIs), and serotonin–norepinephrine re-uptake inhibitors not applicable? 1st. generation SNRI's (Wellbutrin), 2nd gen. SNRI's (Venlafaxine) would seem more "modern" to me... It seems to me there are other options.

I can't speak more specifically about the drugs, it's a convoluted legal thing.

I did have the nausea thing with Venlafaxine but that went away.  I soon learned to calm my stomach by eating!  When I got nauseous it was time to eat!  I also suggest taking ginger capsules.  Extremely effective in calming the pwrst nausea and upset stomach.

Interesting, I have the same reaction with ginger.  

I took two today as yesterday at my grandfathers wake drank quite a bit of Tequila, 4 bottles of beer, and about two pounds of brisket, one pound of barbecue chicken and another one in Mexican pastries.  The alcohol never affected me because I basically ate all day long!  But my stomach was destroyed by the morning.  It only took 1/2 hr. for the ginger tablets to do their magic, and by noon I was having a normal breakfast.

I usually drink a ginger ale or have a couple ginger candies (Chimes usually works well).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 11:05:21 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Rose Inverness
Snr. Officer

« Reply #318 on: June 02, 2014, 06:52:25 pm »

Ms. Carton, and anyone else so inclined as to attempt to benefit from my experience:

Ginger does the opposite for me, and peppermint works much better (everyone is different!) If one doesn't work, try the other perhaps. In Chinese Medicine the energy of ginger is heating, the energy of peppermint is cooling. It all depends on your personal 'constitution' (body composition and energy... difficult to explain) and what you need right now. My best guess is typically to smell the herb before taking it and if I cringe or it smells bad I don't need it right now. If it smells awesome, I go ahead and take it in safe amounts.

I'm taking sertraline (zoloft) and it was awfully nausea and depression-inducing at first (since I'm being medicated for anxiety not depression) but when I make sure to eat adequately when taking it (a whole apple and a bagel with a lot of cashew butter on it) I don't feel sick. And the depression it caused has faded, thank God.

I also have PTSD and don't like to talk about it, but I do want to pass on that if you have access to a good practitioner of EMDR: GO FOR IT. I am getting that treatment and it has helped so much. My life got really small and I couldn't have a positive interaction with anyone and now things are much better. I can watch favorite shows again! I can have friendly conversations! I can hug my parents! Sounds insane, I know, but we're Not here to judge or point fingers or criticize. We're here to help and to relax in these fantastically 'overstuffed' chairs.

~*Rose
CorneliaCarton
Zeppelin Captain
Scotland Scotland

Gravatar

« Reply #319 on: June 04, 2014, 07:30:00 pm »

It turns out, I did have labyrinthitis. My Doctor asked me whatthe symptoms were and she said it was labyrinthitis.
Heh. Funny that.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #320 on: June 05, 2014, 05:45:17 am »

I don't know what labyrinthitis is, but it sounds terrible; you have my sympathy, Ms. Carton.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #321 on: June 05, 2014, 05:50:09 am »

I don't know what labyrinthitis is, but it sounds terrible; you have my sympathy, Ms. Carton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinthitis

It;s an inflamation of the inner ear due to viral or bacterial infection, which leads to balance problems, but can also arise from extreme stress, and it thought to be a strong trigger for anxiety, depression and panic attacks.  The signals generated in the inner ear vestibules are abnormal and the brain needs to "re-learn' how to interpret those signals again (with some orientation exercises and every day life activities).

There is a strong feedback loop wherein the disorientation and signals generated by the inflammation can worsen depression and even trigger panic attacks, and the depression and panic attacks can in turn prevent a depression patient from gaining the confidence to quickly reprogram or "train" the brain to read the post-damage signals from the inner ear.  Because of this, it is important to treat depression quickly, and there is evidence that treatment of depression or anxiety has beneficial regenerative effects in the nerves of the inner ear (yeah I know , how'd they link those two things, sounds like a House episode - the argument being that the nerves are also neural tissue)

Wiki:
Evidence suggests that selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors may be more effective in treating labyrinthitis. They act by relieving anxiety symptoms and may stimulate new neural growth within the inner ear, allowing more rapid vestibular compensation to occur. Trials have shown that SSRIs do in fact affect the vestibular system in a direct manner and can decrease dizziness.[9][verification needed]
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 06:02:15 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
CorneliaCarton
Zeppelin Captain
Scotland Scotland

Gravatar

« Reply #322 on: June 05, 2014, 07:58:34 am »

Funny you should mention that. I'm actually on prozac, heh.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #323 on: June 05, 2014, 09:44:55 pm »

Given my current developing situation which I expounded on over in the GAHHHHH!!!! Thread it's probably not that surprising I've come back to lurk here in my alcove. The seeming futility of my efforts to improve my situation is probably the root cause of my problems (it certainly seems to be the cause of my lack of motivation with regard to my writing and several other projects) but I'm increasingly questioning the purpose behind continuing. I'll admit I recognise that no one is really going to help me change things unless they can get something out of it themselves, but even with the efforts I've made, there are no signs of anything changing. And more and more it seems like my only hope of achieving any kind of change is to sell out my principles, my wants and even my own potential by signing up for what basically amounts to a living hell for the next 20-30 years (if not longer) and I just don't want to take that step since I know where it will lead me, sooner rather than later. It may just be the booze talking, but is it really too much to ask for my commitment to be recognised? At the minute I just feel like my life has been and will be an almost compete waste simply because I'm too principled and look for a purpose in my life beyond my own enrichment.
Rose Inverness
Snr. Officer

« Reply #324 on: June 05, 2014, 10:55:19 pm »

Wiki:
Evidence suggests that selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors may be more effective in treating labyrinthitis. They act by relieving anxiety symptoms and may stimulate new neural growth within the inner ear, allowing more rapid vestibular compensation to occur. Trials have shown that SSRIs do in fact affect the vestibular system in a direct manner and can decrease dizziness.[9][verification needed]

Whaaaaat!?!?! Good glory. Good thing I finally ok'd taking an SSRI then. I still uphold the wonderfulness of EMDR, but couldn't have done it without the calmness I gained from taking zoloft. Sheesh. I had wondered if something was wrong with my ear, kept nearly falling over when standing still and such.

Thanks all!! You learn something new every day..... <3
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: