The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 13, 2020, 03:23:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Tamers - A room for those of us with anxiety / depression / etc  (Read 130255 times)
Darkhound
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #1725 on: March 18, 2020, 12:44:48 am »

Starting to realise i am not doing well at all. I can't ignore this anymore...
Time to find a therapist.

Congratulations, Caledonian. You did the hard part right in this post.

Now that you've admitted you need help, it's just a matter of finding a therapist who suits you. A good fit is extremely important. You need a therapist who understands your problem, comunicates well with you, and you trust and respect. (You don't actually need one you like personally, but that's nice if they have the other qualities.) I've never lived in Scotland, but I'm sure you can get referals from a professionaL association, or maybe a local Government office. Ask at your college medial office.

Good luck and heal well. It's as real an illness as an infection, and there is no more shame in seeking treatment!

I care about you.

Edit| I just saw that your university is closed,but the clinic might still anwer the phones.
 Even if they don't somebody can give you a referal.Post here when you find a therapist!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 12:53:49 am by Darkhound » Logged

"Stupidity is a curse with which even the Gods struggle in vain. Ignorance we can fix."
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #1726 on: March 19, 2020, 12:43:59 am »

And don't even think about "self-isolating" from householf members!  that is the crazy mind taking it too far.

This was the official advice although I notice the wording has changed a little today!
Thanks for all the excellent advice, I will try meditation and make myself a timetable of things I want to do.

Banfili and Miranda, thank you. I am endeavouring to keep calm.  It certainly helps to have this community, you are so supportive.

I have to say I have no problem isolating myself, but the other half is a nice sociable sort and it will be tough on him. I am feeling very sorry that I can’t help anyone. Just keep coming in here and chatting, please.
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1727 on: March 19, 2020, 01:51:39 am »

And don't even think about "self-isolating" from householf members!  that is the crazy mind taking it too far.

This was the official advice although I notice the wording has changed a little today!
Thanks for all the excellent advice, I will try meditation and make myself a timetable of things I want to do.

Banfili and Miranda, thank you. I am endeavouring to keep calm.  It certainly helps to have this community, you are so supportive.

I have to say I have no problem isolating myself, but the other half is a nice sociable sort and it will be tough on him. I am feeling very sorry that I can’t help anyone. Just keep coming in here and chatting, please.

My next door neighbours don't go into 'social distancing' until the weekend! Life for her is going to be hell on two fronts - they are both social beings, and her other half is anxious and not coping well now, let alone how he will be under a stricter regime. Our Anzac Day ceremony (25th April) has already been cancelled.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1728 on: March 21, 2020, 03:44:47 am »

I've been debating doing a series of 'pen pal' style videos on Youtube for a kind of social interaction with a human face for those struggling with isolation.

not sure it's of interest to people but I thought I could try it.

Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #1729 on: March 21, 2020, 05:45:07 am »

I've been debating doing a series of 'pen pal' style videos on Youtube for a kind of social interaction with a human face for those struggling with isolation.

That would be be a very generous undertaking, should you decide to do it.
Some people would appreciate it, fer sure, fer sure.  The only way you will find out is to do it.

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."

(Nothing like having Yoda wisdom at a time like this  Grin )

« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 06:00:57 am by Deimos » Logged

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1730 on: March 21, 2020, 07:05:31 am »

Some people would appreciate it, fer sure, fer sure.  The only way you will find out is to do it.

Yoda wisdom is grand all the time!  Cheesy
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1731 on: March 21, 2020, 08:42:11 pm »

That is a brilliant idea! Just the kind of thing to help people through the difficult weeks ahead.

Yours,
Miranda.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1732 on: March 21, 2020, 08:54:39 pm »

Oh yes, lovely idea. 

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #1733 on: March 21, 2020, 10:05:18 pm »

Yoda wisdom is grand all the time!  Cheesy

But Not all of his quotes are so selfless....

"Mine!"
"Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine!"
"Mine it is, or help you I will not!"

yhs
prof mumbles

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1734 on: March 21, 2020, 10:17:44 pm »

SNIP

"Mine!"

yhs
prof mumbles

Because I only saw the original 3 movies ('way back when) I cannot identify that quote.
When, where, why was he so petulant?   
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1735 on: March 22, 2020, 12:59:44 am »

SNIP

"Mine!"

yhs
prof mumbles

Because I only saw the original 3 movies ('way back when) I cannot identify that quote.

Second movie, Luke meets Yoda in the swamp

https://youtu.be/lXNwJymretA?t=77

yhs
prof marvel
Deimos
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1736 on: March 22, 2020, 01:02:48 am »

SNIP

"Mine!"

yhs
prof mumbles

Second movie, Luke meets Yoda in the swamp

https://youtu.be/lXNwJymretA?t=77

yhs
prof marvel

That was in the 2nd one Huh!!! Second one is my favorite. And yet,  "I have no memory of that..."
Jeez, I need to re-watch it.   
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1737 on: March 24, 2020, 05:27:44 am »

I'm having a really hard time now. Because of lack of leadership the business where I work has not closed, but rather pathetically remained open for ½ of the normal schedule hours, without laying off an employee. That has created a situation where people are now competing for the remaining hours at the front desk, and I'm desperately trying to not lose more hours.

The situation is grossly compounded by the fact that someone who used to be a front desk clerk, and who happens to hate me was moved to the position of assistant to the boss/owner of the establishment. Said person declared war (and I mean total war) on me just 2 months after I started working at the business 6 years ago. To make a long story short, this person is a type A personality and most likely a narcissistic sociopath, who has had conflicts (sometimes physica) with just about every other employee in the company for the last 10 years, and yet because of her tenacity has always kept herself at an arms length from the boss, first the original owner, and when we were sold 2 years ago to the new owner she managed to insert herself as a personal assistant.

The new boss is well aware about my feelings toward this co-worker. I explained carefully what she did to me an how it was dealt with by the old owner. I warned the new owner about her right after the owner purchased the company. The owner seemed sympathetic toward me but hired this sociopath as an assistant anyway. That has created a situation where the assistant began to assume the role of manager, much to the chagrin of just about everyone in the company, even though the owner assured me that it wouldn't be the case, that she'd just be a helper and not a supervisor.

This COVID situation has now further empowered the assistant because the owner, being in her 60s and married to an older gentleman (probably near 80) is now reluctant to come to the office and store on account she's trying to not catch the virus and pass it on  to her elder husband Roll Eyes (but I guess it's OK if we do catch it, some employees being well past 60).

Bottom line, the assistant just tried to reduce my hours further by changing my schedule, on account she prefers another employee to perform a certain function that I'm perfectly capable of doing, but generally do not because I tend to work in the evenings. When I complained the assistant about the loss of hours, she told me to split Fridays with the other clerk, so I can take a bus ride (30 minutes) to work only 2 hours before catching the bus back home (another 30 minutes ride back) .

I had to call the owner and try to convince her to extend the Saturday hours by 3 hours so I can recover my lost hours and not have to ride the bus for 1 hour just to work 2 hours on Friday. I pleaded with her to allow me to do that so I won't have to expose myself to COVID more than I'm already doing (as an aside the shop is located in a ghetto area of the city. It's a drug infested, crime ridden area and I've had to deal with homeless, drug addicts and prostitutes regularly walking into the business to create trouble - that's the sort of environment this is). The new owner agreed to do it for only 2 weeks to see if we can gain some customers (the reduced schedule is 9 to 12 on Saturday, but customers tend to come either very early at 8 or after noon on Saturdays, so I suspect we lost a lot of business last Saturday by closing early.

Under normal times, I'd just quit my job and go somewhere else. I was in fact planning to do that because the work conditions were horrible last summer (45 Celsius inside the shop in summer, no A/C, very dirty). In fact, I became very ill last summer with something which gave me symptoms *very similar* to the virus that's making us lose our minds right now. I was basically sick with a dry cough for 5 weeks and experienced short breath nightly between July and October. I needed to overdose myself on anti-inflammatory just to be able to sleep.

So before all this COVID thing happened, I had already planned to leave before summer. But today no one is hiring, and those who are (supermarkets, pharmacies) are having a very hard time processing the deluge of applications.

To make matters worse, our business is considered "essential' and won't be shut down by the city, which in my mind makes things worse, because the owner insists on being open, with the employees fighting like sharks for the very few unproductive hours that the boss has given. At this point unemployment insurance pays more.

In my opinion, the business should be shut down completely and the employees allowed to take unemployment insurance and /or assistance by the state, which is likely to be more money than what we're being paid now.

If I quit on my own, I won't get any assistance from the government, and if I stay as I am, I'm stuck with less than 50 % of my income. If I'm laid off I will qualify for 50 % of my income, the so called unemployment insurance (wow we're so generous on this side of the Atlantic aren't we?  Roll Eyes. But if I could earn at least 22 hours out of 40, I'd qualify for a partial assistance program called "Shared Work " that covers the missing 40% (the maximum the state will pay) of my income which was cut during the pandemic.

So right now I'm in survival mode, with less than 40 % of my income, not able to abandon a job that will most likely see me become infected with COVID in the bus or across the counter sometime this year, and I can't quit since I won't be able to get any income after I quit.

I'm about to blow up or murder the assistant, whichever comes first.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:39:13 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1738 on: March 24, 2020, 07:11:27 pm »

I'm really sorry to hear of things becoming so difficult. Between the danger to life and the threat to livelyhood this has turned into the perfect storm. I do hope you can resolve the issue of your hours quickly, and that this gives you enough funds to weather the next few months (and let's hope it is just the next few months). God speed a vaccine for this thing, and at the end if this hopefully lessons can be learned for when (and it's inevitable there will be a when) something like it happens again.

With best wishes,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #1739 on: March 24, 2020, 07:35:01 pm »

I'm really sorry to hear of things becoming so difficult. Between the danger to life and the threat to livelyhood this has turned into the perfect storm. I do hope you can resolve the issue of your hours quickly, and that this gives you enough funds to weather the next few months (and let's hope it is just the next few months). God speed a vaccine for this thing, and at the end if this hopefully lessons can be learned for when (and it's inevitable there will be a when) something like it happens again.

With best wishes,
Miranda.

Thank you, dear Miranda. I'm really upset. Another employee - a critical one at that - just announced she won't work for partial hours until the end of the emergency. This is going to be interesting.. The business can't operate without an equivalent replacement, basically a skilled technician, because the new owner never learned all of the operations of the machines in the business. So now in the middle of a quarantine and pandemic the owner needs to find a qualified replacement.

The perfect storm is a weak leader. Basically a piss poor Captain with a sociopathic First Officer, and a crew near mutiny. Perhaps we should rename this business "The Bounty."

I'm just going to have to look for a job on the middle of this, probably on the order of "essential business " like supermarket shelf stocker or pharmacy clerk. I can probably stop school loan payments (need to do that today), and I know I can't be evicted for 60 days, according to the new rules. I doubt the census canvassing will go on as scheduled this summer,plus I'd need to find a car and renew my license outside of the quarantine zone (which I don't think is possible anymore).

Outside of the census job, a scooter or electric bicycle might be a good idea, though. No license needed and the city streets are empty. The busses are semi-empty but still very risky, as people are in an enclosed environment. From the looks of it it's not really contact by hand, but breath particles that are responsible for transmission.

This is the perfect virus.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1740 on: March 24, 2020, 10:57:20 pm »

Over here infection by touching surfaces is rally being pushed, with the thought that the virus can survive up to 72 hours on hard surfaces. There are still so many unkowns, but there was some good news tonight. It was reported that the WHO have been perfoming tials using existing medicines to see if they aid recovery, including one from the 1940s originally used against malaria. Although the trial is at an early stage, apparently the outcomes are currently looking promising.

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #1741 on: March 25, 2020, 01:36:57 am »

Over here infection by touching surfaces is rally being pushed, with the thought that the virus can survive up to 72 hours on hard surfaces. There are still so many unkowns, but there was some good news tonight. It was reported that the WHO have been perfoming tials using existing medicines to see if they aid recovery, including one from the 1940s originally used against malaria. Although the trial is at an early stage, apparently the outcomes are currently looking promising.

Yours,
Miranda.

On this side of the pond, emphasis is being placed on proximity as it is believed aerosolized saliva is the primary carrier. Touching surfaces is also dangerous, but the second mechanism without a single proven case that surfaces actually caused infection.

From that perspective the ½ hour ride I just took back home was by far the most dangerous part of my day. And the social distancing in mass transportation is zero. This particular bus driver who works the route during the middle of the day kept the bus colder than a refrigerator (probably because he thinks that somehow cold temperatures slowdown contagion - people can be very ignorant. If there was COVID in the air, I inhaled it for sure.

I'm about to consider taking Uber or another transport or route as an alternative. Or I may just try to find a job closer to home so I can walk. The shop felt relatively safe today in the morning, I kept people out of the shop on line, one customer at a time, following the latest bout of regulations, but the mass transit is a joke and completely undermines the safety orders, as well as the supermarkets. Naturally more people use mass transit in the poor areas of the city, and the local supermarket is a hub for many shoppers including homeless people and other interesting types of people.

The latest is to have every customer take a trolley (cart in US English) as a sort of separator between people. The ghetto supermarket is not following that standard however, and they're limited to making people use hand sanitizer before coming in and wait on line so 50 customers can be "throttled" into the supermarket at a time (self separating). I tried finding milk somewhere else today. Smaller ethnic supermarkets are limited to tape markers on the floor and signs that instruct families to limit one shopper at a time. In Latin American families it is common to see the whole family shopping in the supermarket, which greatly congests the aisles. Ethnic supermarkets tend to have double width aisles to accommodate the traffic

If you pay close attention to the news, you should see the next peak in contagion happen in the poor parts of Austin, both in North Central/East and South Central/East areas. These poorer people will get sick first, mark my words, in about 2-3 weeks time, I reckon. I'm not sure I want to stay in the job any longer.

I promised myself I would not go back to shopping in that big supermarket close to my job, but it's way too convenient, saving me 2-3 hours of transit time to the other side of the city . I just wanted beer and milk, and by the time I make it back from work after 4 pm I'd have to take another bus due West for another 15 minutes, plus waiting ½ hr in the "throttled line but with shopping carts neatly separated, and customers with hand wipes, masks and with hand sanitizer coming out of their Porsche SUV, BMW sedan, or Tesla, because that's the nice part of town...and you can witness a contrast between the  have-and-have nots that would be more at home in a developing country or the scenes in the movie" Elysium."  Growing up as a privileged brat in Mexico, I thought that was natural 40 years ago, but seeing this in the US in 2020 is a real eye opener.

I swear human beings really don't deserve to live. Perhaps the virus is here to correct that.

The correct course of action for me is to leave the ghetto as soon as possible before the 5 pm traffic, and go to the supermarket the next day when I'm off (I'm now working 1/2 time 3 days of the week. It's so frustrating.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 01:52:58 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1742 on: March 25, 2020, 02:46:36 am »

The correct course of action for me is to leave the ghetto as soon as possible before the 5 pm traffic, and go to the supermarket the next day when I'm off (I'm now working 1/2 time 3 days of the week. It's so frustrating.

I think the best course of action is for you, as soon as it is humanly possible, to leave the ghetto - period!
I also know it's not possible immediately, and I feel for your situation. Stay strong, J. Wilhelm.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #1743 on: March 25, 2020, 05:25:50 am »

I think the best course of action is for you, as soon as it is humanly possible, to leave the ghetto - period!
I also know it's not possible immediately, and I feel for your situation. Stay strong, J. Wilhelm.

Well I live closer to the other side of the city in the west, but yeah, I'm getting very close to just telling my boss I can't go. We are about to pass 100 cases. At 2-3 days to double, by Friday we'll pass 200,by Monday 400, and by next weekend over 1000. It's physically impossible for me to ignore those numbers and pretend "I can do it."

What I see in the lower income areas is complete disarray. The homeless population is congregating in large numbers along the avenue where the business is located. This means that the virus is being methodically deposited everywhere on the windows and walls of those business, including supermarkets and discount stores that sell food. I see workers packing buses to come from and go back home during peak hour, and even though human traffic is way down, the 8 and 5 o'clock buses are full to the brim. The virus will spread there first. The authorities are simply turning a blind eye to the plain unsanitary conditions in that part of the city, and unfortunately this time it really matters.

I think my boss is a very nice lady, but nice doesn't mean competent.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1744 on: March 25, 2020, 08:13:47 am »

My Dear J

One idea - one might give one's current boss the idea that she can "let one go" which will solve some of the "part-time hours problems" for her.
this gets you onto unemployment, which is at least "something"
and frees you up for more focussed job searches, and out of the ghetto/bus zombie apocalypse.

I sent you a PM

yhs
prof marvel
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1745 on: March 26, 2020, 01:59:58 am »

We're not locked down completely here, though we do have a stay home order and enforced (I still don't know how they're enforcing it, though) Social Distancing order and No-Touch Policy regarding public hard surfaces such as benches and the like. People are still allowed outside to exercise, etc. as long as they are not infected. Unfortunately, since I suffer horrifically from a pollen and particulates allergy (oak pollen being the worst for me - and of course, our yard is "et up" with decades-old oak trees), I can only go outside in the early morning and late evening, when there's less pollen flying around (due to the dew and humidity) and just enough light to be able to see well enough to trim our various bushes and hack back the neighbor's insidious bamboo forest*.

The folks have decided that since such is the case, they will once again have a local yard man of our acquaintance take care of mowing and basic outdoor maintenance, at least until the Spring Pollen Deluge and the COVID thing have passed (knock furiously on whatever wood surface is available).

No clue how I/we/they plan to pay for all that.
The shoots are getting to be of a GIGANTIC diameter now (say an inch and a half to two and a half inches), which suggests that there's a rather huge and well-established root system underneath it all, even though we've kept it all mowed down pretty punitively. it's almost on the order of one of those foliage-gone-wild horror novels, where the plants of whatever sort take over and try to crowd out humanity. It's maddening how it just keeps popping up; sometimes it seems like they jump up the minute I turn my back...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1746 on: March 26, 2020, 05:26:39 am »

....... and hack back the neighbor's insidious bamboo forest*.
The shoots are getting to be of a GIGANTIC diameter now (say an inch and a half to two and a half inches), which suggests that there's a rather huge and well-established root system underneath it all, even though we've kept it all mowed down pretty punitively. it's almost on the order of one of those foliage-gone-wild horror novels, where the plants of whatever sort take over and try to crowd out humanity. It's maddening how it just keeps popping up; sometimes it seems like they jump up the minute I turn my back...

Yessir, bamboo does that. it replicates via the root system and can grow inches per day. "They" claim that by cutting it back and spreading poison and mowing you will eventually "be rid of it"...  But I say, no. It is just like the Mountain Aspen, once established the living main tree system keeps sending out shoots. As long as the main bamboo or aspen grove remains, you are boned.

if you feel sttrong and determined, you might look into digging up the big bamboo shoots completely, and eat them ! Yummm.

https://yokosonews.com/food/how-to-dig-cook-takekono-bamboo-shoots

prof marvel
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #1747 on: March 26, 2020, 09:10:29 am »

SNIP

Bamboo is extremely destructive. An invasive species really. When I first came to Austin I was living in my uncle Hugo's in laws ' house. An old 1960s house in Hyde Park. They lived next to a creek and had bamboo problems as well. Being next to a creek didn't help.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1748 on: March 27, 2020, 04:00:32 am »

....... and hack back the neighbor's insidious bamboo forest*.

Yessir, bamboo does that. it replicates via the root system and can grow inches per day. "They" claim that by cutting it back and spreading poison and mowing you will eventually "be rid of it"...  But I say, no. It is just like the Mountain Aspen, once established the living main tree system keeps sending out shoots. As long as the main bamboo or aspen grove remains, you are boned.

if you feel sttrong and determined, you might look into digging up the big bamboo shoots completely, and eat them ! Yummm.

https://yokosonews.com/food/how-to-dig-cook-takekono-bamboo-shoots

prof marvel

What with all the weed and feed we've put on the lawn due to the neighbors on the other side putting exotic birdseeds in their feeders, I'm not sure I want to risk it!
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1749 on: March 29, 2020, 02:21:45 am »

starting to feel the stress of working as a cashier and stocker for an essential store, during a pandemic, which the public seems incapable of grasping how to adapt to. watching people lick their fingers to seperate their bills they are paying for their groceries with, people coming in and trying to hoard certain products and getting nasty when you limit them.

I've got chronic health concerns that are not happy with the diet changes I've had to adapt because panicky nutters wipe out whole sections of every store in the state. So I'm at increased risk. and my landlord/friends downstairs are as well. They have been avoiding me, and frankly I don't blame them. I'm constantly in close proximity to the public, who now are coming in to just shop around because they married and had kids they can't stand with somebody they cannot tolerate being around all day every day. And half have lost their jobs and their kids are out of school.

Old ladies and men from the elder home in the area come in to walk and shop around because they can't deal with being cooped up...

every day feels like a game of russian roulette. I feel like I might just bow out in a few days if other people don't start changing their behaviours. Even then I might opt out. And if I do leave, I'd still have to quarantine for 14-17 days just to make sure I'm not a hazard to anyone. at the end of which I'd have to debate whether it would be worth going back to work. Because I know enough, that I know this whole situation is only going to get worse and it won't be better in a month or even two.

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: