The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 13, 2020, 01:43:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Tamers - A room for those of us with anxiety / depression / etc  (Read 128027 times)
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1375 on: April 12, 2016, 08:01:45 pm »

Anytime, no problem.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #1376 on: April 19, 2016, 09:44:23 am »

Just coming to suggest something. I achieved a fair amount today and things are better than they've been for a while, even if it's just one day at a time. But for some reason my mood was worse today than on other days this week. It was ruining the day for me. I then watched some videos of the 'Try Guys' on Buzzfeed, ugh I know, I can't believe I'd watch that either... but I spent an hour laughing at a few of those. It improved my outlook and frame of mind greatly.

Find a good jest, laugh at something for a bit and hold on to those feelings as a reminder that it's not all grim and challenge.

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon Machinery (they/them)

« Reply #1377 on: April 19, 2016, 11:18:18 am »

I come here to rant

I just can't handle this anymore. I've tried and tried and tried again but I just can't see to do it well. I did my assignment but my peers seem to have the piss on me. whatever I do it can't be good enough. i want to go home, to a safe place, to a friend. I don't see what I did wrong yet appearently what I did does not follow the assignment, while I read the assignmnent and even copied exact parts of it.
I'm sitting here, crying, I have no idea what I should do. I'm too tired to take the confrontation, also because I know I can't win. it's 2 against one, and the two others of the group will just ignore me.
now I'm sitting here, crying, half hoping something will happen and fully hoping nobody will see me.

i just...want to go home.

but not to my parents because they'll just nag and confirm that I'm a worthless piece of trash.

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1378 on: April 19, 2016, 09:57:14 pm »

Have a hug from me.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #1379 on: April 20, 2016, 06:11:18 am »

Have a hug from me.

*Hugs tightly*
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1380 on: April 20, 2016, 07:46:42 am »

... confirm that I'm a worthless piece of trash.

No you're not. Your worth is not bound entirely within a single act or project. Great people become great not by avoiding mistakes, failures and wrong direction. They are great because the keep trying over and over, and just by sheer statistics build a portfolio of things that turn out. The rest of humanity is so distracted by the gaudy pile of achievements that we miss the mountains of 'didn't quite work out' behind them.

Take a deep breath, see if you can find a way to learn something from what isn't working, try again. And remember failed attempts are attempts, which is more than some people ever get around to applying themselves toward. Be proud of putting yourself out there and making a go at it, and keep up the good work.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1381 on: April 20, 2016, 08:32:40 am »

I come here to rant

I just can't handle this anymore. I've tried and tried and tried again but I just can't see to do it well. I did my assignment but my peers seem to have the piss on me. whatever I do it can't be good enough. I want to go home, to a safe place, to a friend. I don't see what I did wrong yet apparently what I did does not follow the assignment, while I read the assignment and even copied exact parts of it.
I'm sitting here, crying, I have no idea what I should do. I'm too tired to take the confrontation, also because I know I can't win. it's 2 against one, and the two others of the group will just ignore me.
now I'm sitting here, crying, half hoping something will happen and fully hoping nobody will see me.

i just...want to go home.

but not to my parents because they'll just nag and confirm that I'm a worthless piece of trash.

Don't let a transient project deter you from your goals. It is clearly a 3-person team, and the project will end in due time.

I'm curious as to the exact nature of the project. Being an engineer/scientist, by nature, and having to take classes in the area of humanities as electives in college, I learned a hard lesson: The way that my brain's logic is applied to science or engineering is nigh useless when applying the same approach to subjects such as political history and anthropology.

It turned out that, semester after semester, I would frequently fail to get more than the absolute minimum passing grade during an exam if I just repeated verbatim what I had learned in the classroom. It took a brief discussion with one of my professors (anthropology) after a final exam, to realize that they were testing not only my knowledge but my critical thinking and my debate skills as well.

The professor expected that I challenge his conclusions on a particular subject. It didn't matter what my personal beliefs were on the subject, as this was just an exercise before being thrown out into the real world. What they wanted me to do is to come with an alternative explanation (e.g. an alternate theory of social organization, or a counterpoint to economic development and ethics in society), such that I successfully could challenge and counterpoint what I was taught. By showing them the opposite side of the argument, I proved that I fully understood what they had taught me in the classroom, that is, I mastered the subject to the point I could challenge my professors and force them to defend their position.

When I tried that counterpoint approach, I began to get 100% in all my test essays. This was a surprise to me. You see, in science, the approach is completely different.

The natural laws of physics give you only one truth. It's not open to opinion. The person with the theory that more closely resembles the truth wins.  Which is not to say that there is only one road to Rome, but rather, even if you take very different paths, in the end all roads should lead to a vicinity around Rome. So memorization and hard mathematical logic were rewarded. Does that make sense?

In contrast, in the humanities you were allowed and even encouraged to be far more subjective. The roads do not necessarily lead to Rome, but rather to different provinces. The trick is to convince your peers that the road you are traversing is in fact leading them to Rome whereas their road is leading them astray.

Could there be a similar phenomenon at work here?  What are your peers expecting from you? Perhaps it's time to talk to the professor about it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 08:40:09 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #1382 on: April 20, 2016, 09:14:23 am »

... confirm that I'm a worthless piece of trash.

No you're not. Your worth is not bound entirely within a single act or project. Great people become great not by avoiding mistakes, failures and wrong direction. They are great because the keep trying over and over, and just by sheer statistics build a portfolio of things that turn out. The rest of humanity is so distracted by the gaudy pile of achievements that we miss the mountains of 'didn't quite work out' behind them.

Take a deep breath, see if you can find a way to learn something from what isn't working, try again. And remember failed attempts are attempts, which is more than some people ever get around to applying themselves toward. Be proud of putting yourself out there and making a go at it, and keep up the good work.

I don't feel like that because this one things fails, I feel like that because it's like I can never ever do something that's just good enough. I'm running out of time, and there's nothing to be proud off.

Don't let a transient project deter you from your goals. It is clearly a 3-person team, and the project will end in due time.

I'm curious as to the exact nature of the project. Being an engineer/scientist, by nature, and having to take classes in the area of humanities as electives in college, I learned a hard lesson: The way that my brain's logic is applied to science or engineering is nigh useless when applying the same approach to subjects such as political history and anthropology.

It turned out that, semester after semester, I would frequently fail to get more than the absolute minimum passing grade during an exam if I just repeated verbatim what I had learned in the classroom. It took a brief discussion with one of my professors (anthropology) after a final exam, to realize that they were testing not only my knowledge but my critical thinking and my debate skills as well.

The professor expected that I challenge his conclusions on a particular subject. It didn't matter what my personal beliefs were on the subject, as this was just an exercise before being thrown out into the real world. What they wanted me to do is to come with an alternative explanation (e.g. an alternate theory of social organization, or a counterpoint to economic development and ethics in society), such that I successfully could challenge and counterpoint what I was taught. By showing them the opposite side of the argument, I proved that I fully understood what they had taught me in the classroom, that is, I mastered the subject to the point I could challenge my professors and force them to defend their position.

When I tried that counterpoint approach, I began to get 100% in all my test essays. This was a surprise to me. You see, in science, the approach is completely different.

The natural laws of physics give you only one truth. It's not open to opinion. The person with the theory that more closely resembles the truth wins.  Which is not to say that there is only one road to Rome, but rather, even if you take very different paths, in the end all roads should lead to a vicinity around Rome. So memorization and hard mathematical logic were rewarded. Does that make sense?

In contrast, in the humanities you were allowed and even encouraged to be far more subjective. The roads do not necessarily lead to Rome, but rather to different provinces. The trick is to convince your peers that the road you are traversing is in fact leading them to Rome whereas their road is leading them astray.

Could there be a similar phenomenon at work here?  What are your peers expecting from you? Perhaps it's time to talk to the professor about it.

my peers are expecting me to follow the assignment, and I tried to explain but it's not like it's working. instead we're just fighting. I refused to change everything for them and no I am appearently the bad part of the team.
the assignment is to form a fictional museum exhibition, my job is to monitor the goal audience.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #1383 on: April 20, 2016, 09:23:58 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.

...my peers are expecting me to follow the assignment, and I tried to explain but it's not like it's working. instead we're just fighting. I refused to change everything for them and no I am appearently the bad part of the team.
the assignment is to form a fictional museum exhibition, my job is to monitor the goal audience.

Video cameras, interviews and questionaires?
What does the group want?

I hate to see a steamer in distress and feel certain between all of us we'll get you to a safe harbour.

... Your worth is not bound entirely within a single act or project. Great people become great not by avoiding mistakes, failures and wrong direction. They are great because the keep trying over and over, and just by sheer statistics build a portfolio of things that turn out. The rest of humanity is so distracted by the gaudy pile of achievements that we miss the mountains of 'didn't quite work out' behind them.

Absolutely spot on, rovingjack.
However this turns out- keep all the documentation of your work.
You simply never know when those ideas will be just the very thing needed in other circumstances.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #1384 on: April 20, 2016, 12:26:17 pm »

...my peers are expecting me to follow the assignment, and I tried to explain but it's not like it's working. instead we're just fighting. I refused to change everything for them and no I am appearently the bad part of the team.

Video cameras, interviews and questionaires?
What does the group want?

I hate to see a steamer in distress and feel certain between all of us we'll get you to a safe harbour.

... Your worth is not bound entirely within a single act or project. Great people become great not by avoiding mistakes, failures and wrong direction. They are great because the keep trying over and over, and just by sheer statistics build a portfolio of things that turn out. The rest of humanity is so distracted by the gaudy pile of achievements that we miss the mountains of 'didn't quite work out' behind them.

Absolutely spot on, rovingjack.
However this turns out- keep all the documentation of your work.
You simply never know when those ideas will be just the very thing needed in other circumstances.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

ah, no. it's all books and research. it's working with the visitor identities. it's interesting at first, but is pretty mood killing when you're not feeling too motivated to begin with...
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #1385 on: April 20, 2016, 02:57:29 pm »

I don't feel like that because this one things fails, I feel like that because it's like I can never ever do something that's just good enough. I'm running out of time, and there's nothing to be proud off.

Right It's quite clear that the wonderful, effervescent, brilliant, talented and let's just add uniquely personable Caledonian is receiving both useless and badly angled (inexcusable) criticism from at least two different directions and said critisism has caused her to generally doubt her own brilliance. Point one as others have said cover your butt. These people don't like you. (that's fine LOTS of people HATE me and I care little for any of them) Still I wouldn't put them in a position were they can make it look like this debauch was my fault.

Point two, just cos others say it, don't make it so. Look at Galileo recanting as heresy the fact that not all heavenly bodies circle the earth...... He knew he was right. Anyone looking at the sky could see it. The fact that a little man on a little throne didn't want to believe it (and had the muscle to enforce their wrong think) doesn't and didn't in the long run make it a reality. Because reality got in the way.

Point three, these people are doing the BARE MINIMUM to keep you quiet. So be quiet. To be quiet is not to be unresponsive as they would like. To be quiet is to listen and record. If they will not help make things right then you can at least be the chronicler of this tyrannical folly. (this kind of goes hand in hand with point 1)

Point four, I have witnessed your words, oaths and boasts young lady. I do not see any old handmaiden, I see a Valkyrie. You answer to one master: truth. If people do not listen to you then they do not deserve your help. Although you should help them get what they deserve.

frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1386 on: April 20, 2016, 10:41:06 pm »

The problem with some groups is that some people want to be the leader.  Then everyone will follow them.  If you do not fit into the group it is difficult.  You need to choose whether to stay with the group and do what the group wants or branch out on your own and be free of the in-fighting.

Your choice.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1387 on: April 21, 2016, 08:05:43 am »

panic attacks, just panic attacks for days.

people keep trying to be helpful and suggest that maybe I am sick from Lyme disease. I know we tested and it came back negative for detectable antibodies for the parasite, but I also know that people can have it and test negative. so I spent all day today having hit after hit of panic attacks about the possibility I have had lyme disease for years.

Monday it was the thought that the bedbug I saw at the doctors office means we have them, and I'd scratch at phantom sensations of things moving on my legs and neck. Spend time examining every freckle and goose bump on my body in the mirror trying to decide if it's a bite mark. Instigated by what is likely an ant bite on my big toe (or contact dermatitis from something, or athletes foot) from the driveway the day I emptied my trunk/boot because of mold.

Yesterday it was something else, I think was the transition day where I shifted from monday bedbug panic attacks to todays tick panic attacks.

I wake up in the middle of my night and have a moment of panic that sets my mind racing and prevents me from sleeping a full night.

the thing is I've had days and weeks recently where I didn't have these issues, but some days it just latches on and I sit worrying for hours or examining myself with mirrors.

I feel stupid while I'm going through it but I worry about these things, and food, and my car dieing, and catching something when I go somewhere.

I have to tell myself. 4 months ago there was no evidence of any of these problems. I had no reason to think I had lyme, it was the early winter so I've not caught it since then. I had no thought of bedbugs until a couple weeks ago when I saw what looked like one in a public building. And tests and searches have been done for signs of both with negative results since then.

I'm fairly certain I've resolved all my car trouble. don't touch people, wash hands, ect ect. And yet I still freak out about something each day for the last several days.

So I'm working on ways to center myself and pull that jibbering bit of myself in front and in the open, so I can watch it and know the difference between it's panic and reasonable thoughts and direct my life and actions based on the latter.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 08:08:34 am by rovingjack » Logged
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #1388 on: April 21, 2016, 11:45:30 am »

...ah, no. it's all books and research. it's working with the visitor identities. it's interesting at first, but is pretty mood killing when you're not feeling too motivated to begin with...

Is this for schoolwork of some kind, with a deadline and group results?
If so, talk to the teacher, not to complain about the others in your group, but to thoroughly understand what is wanted of you.
And to make sure the teacher knows you are on top of the assignment.

In other words, covering your butt. Alas, sometimes a bustle is simply not enough, my dear Caledonian.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #1389 on: April 21, 2016, 11:53:57 am »

...ah, no. it's all books and research. it's working with the visitor identities. it's interesting at first, but is pretty mood killing when you're not feeling too motivated to begin with...

Is this for schoolwork of some kind, with a deadline and group results?
If so, talk to the teacher, not to complain about the others in your group, but to thoroughly understand what is wanted of you.
And to make sure the teacher knows you are on top of the assignment.

In other words, covering your butt. Alas, sometimes a bustle is simply not enough, my dear Caledonian.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

AH! but my peers complained about me already. turns out we're all suffering this one girls over-orderly and pushing behaviour. we explained and she seems to have opened up a little to help us. we'll see how it goes from here
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #1390 on: April 21, 2016, 12:03:55 pm »

What splendid news.
Now, the advice I have for you is to be very kind to this person. And listen to her. Later, you can ignore what she's said.
Also, to have a great time at the steampunk eventthis weekend. I'm sure your dragon needs a decent airing!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #1391 on: April 21, 2016, 12:15:37 pm »

What splendid news.
Now, the advice I have for you is to be very kind to this person. And listen to her. Later, you can ignore what she's said.
Also, to have a great time at the steampunk eventthis weekend. I'm sure your dragon needs a decent airing!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Salma wouldn't be the only one.
I need a decent airing too.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1392 on: May 10, 2016, 03:15:32 am »

I apologize not coming in last week. I was in a good mood and both working on things and sleeping well. It made me feel like I shouldn't be in here,  Undecided .

But good news, I'm moody again so I can come in here again.  Cheesy

I went to visit my mum for mothersday and spent the night in the old room I had when I was in highschool. As I was going to bed that night I took off my hot boots I'd worn all day before going to my mums house, and started having panic attacks about the red dots on the arch of my foot and ankle. It triggered my panic attacks about parasitic insects all over again. Sigh.

But honestly that's the least of the problems.

My mum is in her seventies, and she's talked about selling the house and moving into a condo in a maintained seniors housing area in the same town. She's not just talking about it anymore. It is being listed this week.

She's had us come and look through things that were in the attic and basement that belonged to us when we were younger, and things that have been in the family for generations that she just can't keep. In talking with her it doesn't take much prodding to reveal that some of her thoughts are in the area of 'I don't want to leave all of this stuff for you and your sister to deal with when I die.'

She's not unhealthy, and she's reasonably fit. She's not planning to stop living anytime soon. So it's not that. And I do get the sentiment, as I too have put some effort into getting my life in order enough as to not burden anyone when my time comes; but ...

theres a real sense of, "you can never go home again." and watching the early days of a parent reach the end of their life.

Throw in the political situation, the sense of economic tensions, the environmental aspects, my health problems playing games with me and my hitting 40 in the next 14 months.

This makes for one heck of an existential crisis. Why couldn't I just worry about my hairline, date somebody too young for me, and get a new sporty looking car, like everybody else. Why does my midlife crisis have to be this harsh?
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #1393 on: May 10, 2016, 04:30:32 am »

Throw in the political situation, the sense of economic tensions, the environmental aspects, my health problems playing games with me and my hitting 40 in the next 14 months.

This makes for one heck of an existential crisis. Why couldn't I just worry about my hairline, date somebody too young for me, and get a new sporty looking car, like everybody else. Why does my midlife crisis have to be this harsh?

Welcome to the Mid Life Sucks club!  The club where you turn from hot to creepy. The club where nobody is nice to you,  because you're not adorable like the grandchildren or grampa. The place where you see the first few lost teeth and gray hair.  The place where you regret having ever met your wife. And where nobody gives a rat's tush for you, because everything is assumed to be your fault. The place where your telephone and mailbox are just a means for hostile people to get a hold of you.

We have a membership which in the US is at least one hundred million strong and growing!  Just 40? You are a young pup! Here's your complimentary novelty baby bottle and spare nipples, emblazoned with the slogans "Life Sucks, and Bottoms Up!" Great for light lager beer.  We have tax-audit workshops on Wednesdays and Divorce Court tutorials on Thursdays

Grin

Note that I've had to actually go through full role reversal with my grand father, had to take care of him, in health and in sickness and assume all of his financial and legal problems, until he died and I was nearly dead myself (and still trying to survive that one).

Seriously you need to look at it this way: sure, you could have a white house with a picket fence,  a wife, children, a dog, and mayhaps in the evening you could be cheating with a hot blonde in your red Corvette. But you'd probably look like a cross between Homer Simpson,  Peter Griffin  and Hank Hill. And divorce would soon follow,  along with debt, mortgage,  lawsuits and all that fun stuff that successful middle age men have. All of it making you fall into the abyss of despair which afflicts so many men.

Perhaps it's best the other way. Lately,  I've felt that maybe it's not so bad I didn't get the standard life I thought I deserved.  Mind you,  either way, I WILL be one of those strange people who is dating or married to someone who is way too young for me.  I no longer have a choice in the matter as I'm actually approaching my 50s. Thankfully, I'm constantly being told I look at least 15 or 20 years younger.  And you know what?  I like that. I really don't care about people's little life compartments. They're all artificial constructs meant to subjugate and zombify. I am now ready to live like any day could be my last day on Earth. I'm enjoying my gender role exploration and I'm basically starting life all over again.

In my place of employment, I have a couple of gentlemen customers perhaps in their 50s and more likely in their early 60s who married much younger women. The older guy is an American with a bald head and walrus mustache, who looks the part of an indie-movie director (probably that's what he is) , drives a Jaguar and has a baby boy with a young woman.  The other guy is a German fellow with a thick accent and immaculate clothes, who looks like he works in an office,  and he married a young (East) Indian woman who looks like she came from a Bollywood movie, and they have the most adorable little girl.  I have never seen men so happy to be alive.

I now look forward to being one of those guys. That's what you get when you graduate from the "Life Sucks" club. And so when young guys (and girls) give me that disgusted evil look,  I will flick my androgynous bobbed hair and hold my hot 20 or 30 something year old girlfriend/wife and adorable child extra tight.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 04:35:49 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1394 on: May 10, 2016, 10:03:29 pm »

Mind you,  either way, I WILL be one of those strange people who is dating or married to someone who is way too young for me.  I no longer have a choice in the matter as I'm actually approaching my 50s.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that any particular age is 'too old'.  There are plenty of more mature women looking for the right partner too (and some of them are over 50) and looking pretty good. 
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #1395 on: May 11, 2016, 11:02:50 am »

My first semester of college is at last coming to a close. I am quite ready for it to be over. It's exhausting.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1396 on: May 12, 2016, 09:57:04 am »

today, knowledge and inspiration have conspired to supply me with a weapon against panic attacks about my health. I was able to silence a nagging fear by piecing together data from unrelated testing that actually collectively supply a more definative proof that the fear is unfounded in this case.

It allows me to both know it's not a real danger, and be able to ignore the nagging doubt and fear when helpful recreations google doctors suggest I have the condition.

So for the moment I am pleased and moderately content. I shall have to see if perhaps I can cultivate similar weapons to tear down the scaffolds my panic attacks build themselves up on. To leave them weaker and less disruptive until they fade.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1397 on: May 13, 2016, 04:16:20 pm »

Been away for awhile, since life has been perfect and i have had no problems or concerns until now. Life's been peachy, birds singing the trees, live steam trains and Guinness and roses, La LA LA...

Yeah, right (LOL).

Actually a lot of good things really did happen, even found, joined and have been practicing and (albeit infrequently) performing with an actual concertina band, went to a music festival and actually performed on the concertina, onstage with our instructor Jody Kruskal and of course the rest of our concertina repertoire class (just one song - Rivers of Texas - in unison, singing whilst playing). Ample stage fright, though it was far from my first time playing for an audience - just never on a 'tina before...

So, everything's "hunky dory" as the saying goes, even encouraged to play the banjo with the band I mentioned for the Boer (South African) tunes we play so much of, also the flute and fife, and most recently the bodhran (an instrument that I was forbidden to play in the house until our new neighbors moved in, and made a racket 'til early morning several times).

-Suddenly, however, disaster (saw it coming, didn't you!) struck: I was helping Dad with the concrete repairs on the patio, and wouldn't you just know it, got all hasty and lifted a bucketfull of busted concrete chunks. It didn't look all that heavy, but it turns out it was about 100 pounds worth, and I kind of jerked it up in an effort to get it moved out of the way as soon as possible so Dad could level the topsoil in the hole in the patio preparatory to putting in the reinforcement. Didn't actually hurt all that much 'til the next morning, and then it was stiff as hell and I couldn't raise my arm past about halfway.

Would have been OK and fine rapidly if I hadn't taken a max dose of acetaminophen, gotten to feel not great but passable, and then decided to walk to the neighborhood store for a coke. Turns out I tripped over a projecting sidewalk slab at the expansion joint (typical aging suburb infrastructure we have here - you can see what's coming, can't you, ha ha) and fell down purposely by habit in the direction I usually go to protect myself from breaking arms, ripping up hands, getting a concussion, etc. Unfortunately, that direction included the shoulder that I had just injured...

So, now, here i sit, trying to avoid putting on the sling they insist that I wear so I can heal faster (thing makes me feel so damned useless and helpless), typing on BG because nobody will let me do anything without starting a verbal donnybrook over it...

So, yeah, Life is so good (dripping with sarcasm, yet still laughing at the humor of it - I'm so freaking deranged)...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 04:19:10 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #1398 on: May 13, 2016, 08:00:00 pm »

Been away for awhile, since life has been perfect and i have had no problems or concerns until now. Life's been peachy, birds singing the trees, live steam trains and Guinness and roses, La LA LA...

Yeah, right (LOL).

Actually a lot of good things really did happen, even found, joined and have been practicing and (albeit infrequently) performing with an actual concertina band, went to a music festival and actually performed on the concertina, onstage with our instructor Jody Kruskal and of course the rest of our concertina repertoire class (just one song - Rivers of Texas - in unison, singing whilst playing). Ample stage fright, though it was far from my first time playing for an audience - just never on a 'tina before...

So, everything's "hunky dory" as the saying goes, even encouraged to play the banjo with the band I mentioned for the Boer (South African) tunes we play so much of, also the flute and fife, and most recently the bodhran (an instrument that I was forbidden to play in the house until our new neighbors moved in, and made a racket 'til early morning several times).

-Suddenly, however, disaster (saw it coming, didn't you!) struck: I was helping Dad with the concrete repairs on the patio, and wouldn't you just know it, got all hasty and lifted a bucketfull of busted concrete chunks. It didn't look all that heavy, but it turns out it was about 100 pounds worth, and I kind of jerked it up in an effort to get it moved out of the way as soon as possible so Dad could level the topsoil in the hole in the patio preparatory to putting in the reinforcement. Didn't actually hurt all that much 'til the next morning, and then it was stiff as hell and I couldn't raise my arm past about halfway.

Would have been OK and fine rapidly if I hadn't taken a max dose of acetaminophen, gotten to feel not great but passable, and then decided to walk to the neighborhood store for a coke. Turns out I tripped over a projecting sidewalk slab at the expansion joint (typical aging suburb infrastructure we have here - you can see what's coming, can't you, ha ha) and fell down purposely by habit in the direction I usually go to protect myself from breaking arms, ripping up hands, getting a concussion, etc. Unfortunately, that direction included the shoulder that I had just injured...

So, now, here i sit, trying to avoid putting on the sling they insist that I wear so I can heal faster (thing makes me feel so damned useless and helpless), typing on BG because nobody will let me do anything without starting a verbal donnybrook over it...

So, yeah, Life is so good (dripping with sarcasm, yet still laughing at the humor of it - I'm so freaking deranged)...

Naproxen Sodium ~500mg (triple  dose of over the counter Aleve) every 12hr if the doctors say you can tolerate it...
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1399 on: May 14, 2016, 12:52:08 am »

Naproxen Sodium ~500mg (triple  dose of over the counter Aleve) every 12hr if the doctors say you can tolerate it...

That's just it, I'm trying to stave off the doctor visit until the regularly scheduled 90 day checkup (only two weeks away). But thanks for teh suggestion.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: