The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 03:36:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk terminology towards other punks?  (Read 2419 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2013, 05:03:34 pm »

Checked my previous post for copyrighted names or words already used in any other slang terminology, and marked them accordingly. Strikethroughs are words that are already used in copyrighted works.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 02:37:51 am »

Checked my previous post for copyrighted names or words already used in any other slang terminology, and marked them accordingly. Strikethroughs are words that are already used in copyrighted works.

Thank you. I'm adjusting my copies. Cheesy

Your Hell, is my paradise.
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2013, 12:48:50 am »

Researching Gypsies, and found that they are also referred to as Travelers, so, I'll use this term.  What do you think?
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2013, 11:02:47 am »

I think that term refers to the Irish travelling community more often than the Romany and again it has been used as a pejorative (hasn't everything) so you may still have to be cautious about it's use.  Personally I'd go for them being called The People perhaps also with a word that means that in their own separate language. Most tribal names mean people.
"The People come through here to trade, they have land rights here but they don't stay more than three months in any one place."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2013, 06:53:25 pm »

Their name for themselves used to be "'Gyptians," or "Egyptians," I think I remember reading somewhere, or some word from their lingo that amounts to the same thing. Mind you, in my experience the few I've actually met tend to be a bit prickly over any catch-all term. I've been told all sorts of reasons why such is the case, the common thread being that they don't like outsiders defining them, no matter where the terms come from.

However, I'd suggest you use whatever term you prefer; people/pedants will probably tear their hair out and scream and holler no matter what term is used.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 07:00:39 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2013, 07:02:20 pm »

Thank you.  I guess it's going to be how I present them in the story line. I'm going to keep it very respectful; I have them rescuing by either buying, trading, or even stealing child slaves from the Outland factions, and getting them to safety in the other realms. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: