The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 03:58:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk terminology towards other punks?  (Read 2420 times)
Damnd of Hell
Gunner
United States United States

« on: December 11, 2013, 01:45:12 am »

I needed to add this in asking for help in creating a terminology and vocabulary for a screenwriting project I'm working on.  The idea is that after decades of the Anarchial war, the world settled into a series of peaceful realms; the Steam realm, Cyber Realm, Diesel Realm, Shadow Realm, and an area that separates them known as the outlands, a place of a Mad Max type of outcast tribes.
Well, and incident occurs where the Cyber Realm has to send in an Agent to stop and bring back a Cyber realm scientist from destroying the Steam Realm.  So, my problem, I need a vocabulary from the Steam Realm that refers to the other realms, both sarcastically and with a common vernacular.
So,    HELP!

Your Hell, is my paradise.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 05:34:26 am »

The Normalites?

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 08:32:53 am »

A few thoughts.
The steampunks would probably refer to the other realms by their correct names but with commentary.
"Rather frantic people, you cyber chappies."
"These outland blighters are not gentlemen."
"Fellow's a Diesel.  Salt of the earth and a sound man in a fight."

Cybers would probably refer to the other realms as Retro even when their science has advanced in ways they hadn't considered.  Unconnected or Off Grid might describe outsiders in general.

The Shadow Realms could call outsiders Daylighters.  "Others are afraid of the dark, we face it."

For The Diesel Realm an insult might be "Not firing on all cylinders."
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 09:19:34 pm »

Thank you!  These are great.
Daisuke_sanada
Deck Hand
Japan Japan

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 02:40:18 am »

nice terms and honestly could use a few myself in my story writing specially with some of the tech heads i may have in there, this could turn into a good general forum for diffrent termenology

another idea for the diesel would be like calling others "clankers" or one could be "this thing is running as fast as a four cylinder prop plane"

i concur that the cybers would use a lot of modern term stuff I would probably recommend watching hackers, or johnny neumonic or even demolition man for some terms they used to throw in.

and a few that just popped up
steamers
gearheads
"strange people those cyber folk, full of wires and acting like gods"
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 04:04:52 am »

Excellent!!!
Gaijin_King
Gunner

Sci-fi author

SK_Author
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 05:29:59 am »

Dude, this is an awesome idea! You absolutely must write it.

Gaijin_King
Gunner

Sci-fi author

SK_Author
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 05:32:55 am »

Is the Shadow Realm magic-based? There should definitely be a magic realm to contrast with the technology-based realms.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 08:11:56 am »

Shadow realm comment about Cyber Realm.  "They think electricity is power."
Diesel reply "Yeah, but don't ask them to fix a generator."

Shadow realm comment about Cybers who stay indoors in climate controlled buildings. "Daylighters who are afraid of the sun."

Cyber trying to start an argument.  "All you Retros have a chip on your shoulder."
Chorus reply(possibly sung). "Chip in the brain, mind's a video game."

Cyber Realm reaction to a clockwork radio. "This is a wind up, Right?" 
Steam Realm reply.  "Yes exactly, turn the handle here, about fifty times should do it for now."
(As wind up radios and laptops exist now, the technology could have survived or been rediscovered.)

Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 09:22:21 am »

I suggest you ask Vagabond GentleMan.  He has a unique grasp of language, as you can see from his posts, and it sounds like thieves' cant or some such argot from a past underworld or gypsy race.  Very authentic sounding.

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 07:01:59 pm »

Is the Shadow Realm magic-based? There should definitely be a magic realm to contrast with the technology-based realms.

Yes, magic, vampire, werewolf, shape shifter, sorcerer, witch . . . All the magic and lore that has accumulated over the generations of horror.  I'm thinking that to make the protagonists connections to his steam realm parentage, is to have an aunt from his  birth mother, as a powerful vampire on the realms council of regents;  and two cousins who are vampire, and two of the realms trouble shooters, that have reconciled with the protagonist.  This realm is set in the gothic world of Mary Shelley.
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 07:10:20 pm »

I suggest you ask Vagabond GentleMan.  He has a unique grasp of language, as you can see from his posts, and it sounds like thieves' cant or some such argot from a past underworld or gypsy race.  Very authentic sounding.

A very gracious thank you Lady periscope; and a suggestion that I will pursue. The idea of a gypsy underground is great!  Thank you for the idea, I'm going to incorporate them, as the only ones who would go through the Outlands without incident, so they'd be working for the intelligence communities of both realms.  These people could be, in some cases liberators who can, maybe only small at a time, get captured slaves out of the realm as well.

Thank you, Didn't even think of this as part of the plot.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 07:59:59 pm »

Gypsies could travel across all realms. 

In The Shadow Realm. "An old people with their own strong magic. Always treat them with respect."

In The Steam Realm. "Oh yes,  They're through here every year. Had camping rights on the green for generations. Good with horses, handy in a fight. No one better as a safe guide through the Outlands."

In The Diesel Realm.  "Kinda strange, find a lotta bits we need, Never stay long. Hafta have some good mechanics to keep repairing all their stuff."

In The Cyber Realm.  "Won't carry I.D.  and you can't get them to live indoors. Worse they keep animals.  Of course they've no idea  of the value of the tech they've scavenged. They're Retro even for Retros."  (In fact they have a very good understanding of everything they use or trade.)

In The Outlands  "Good fighters, bad slaves, not worth taking for meat. Last hunt to try that are bones rattling in the wind."
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 01:28:58 am »

Thanks everyone, so far this is what I came up with.

SIGN- A-WAYS - (universal), Children who were signed away into Charity Homes, and State institutions prior to the Anarchial wars.  A father or mother would sign a child or all of their children for the official reasons of being a financial burden; although in the minority of cases being truthful, the majority of times the reasoning was the parent just no longer wanted the child or children.
SPITTERS - (Steam Realm) the high tech auto assault weapons used by the Cyber Realm.
BAGS - (Cyber/Diesel Realm) Slang description of the Steam Realms Zeppelins and Blimps.
BOTS- (Steam Realm) Slang description of Cybernetisised people, or those who use prosthetic limbs throughout all the Realms.
STEAM BOTS-(Diesel Realm) Slang description for people of the Steam Realm with prosthetic limbs.
TOMMIE GUNS-(Steam Realm) The .45 automatic Thompson machine guns used by the Diesel Realm troops.
CAPPER'S -(Cyber/Diesel Realm) Slang term of the H.G. Wellian type of small arms used by the Steam Realm.
TiRo- (Diesel) general slang term of the tilt rotor fast attack/fast assault aircraft of the Cyber Realm.
TILTS-(Steam Realm) general term of the tilt rotor fast attack/fast assault aircrafts of the Cyber Realm.
FORKS-(Steam Realm) the heavily modified p-38 lightning of the Diesel Realm.
DRIVER-(All Realms) The pilot or driver of any aircraft, or combat vehicle, including naval patrol boats.
TURTILES-(Steam Realm) heavy and light armored vehicles and tanks of the Diesel Realm.
BOGS-(Steam Realm) those of the Outlands, a derogatory term to denote that these people are as backward and treacherous as a bog.
CONVERT-(Steam Realm) an Outlander who abandons the Outland factions to settle and successfully assimilates into the Steam Realm.
DIPPERS-(Steam Realm) someone who patronizes a legal brothel. Reference to both genders and sexual persuasion.
DEMON DIVER-(Steam Realm) heavily modified Grumman Helldiver dive bomber of the Diesel Realm.
JUGS-(Steam Realm) the heavily modified P-47 Thunderbolt fighter/bomber of the Diesel Realm
LOCKIE'S-(Steam Realm) steam powered locomotives, and the trains that they pull.
CRUSHERS-(Steam Realm/Outlander) derogatory slang term used towards the Peace Makers.
SUPER CRUSHERS-(Steam Realm/Outlander) derogatory slang term used towards the Omega team operatives.
MOUNTIES-(Diesel Realm) slang term towards the Peace Makers of the Steam Realm.
PUNK-(All realms) non derogatory term towards those of the realms who take the life style to the extreme. Usually a phase of young people.
GHOSTS-(Steam Realm) term to denote those of the Shadow realm.
SUPERS-(Steam Realm) the heavily modified b-29 bomber of the Diesel Realm
BATS-(Steam Realm) term to identify the fighter aircraft of the Cyber Realm
SMOKERS-(Steam Realm) Term used to identify the Diesel Realms locomotives.
BEATERS-(Steam Realm) Term used to identify raiding parties of the Outlands.  Used because of their extreme cruelty in their raids.
HAREMS-(All Realms) the term used to identify the slaves of a single Family of Outlanders.
NIPPERS - (Steam Realm) illegal child laborers, or those children who are forced into criminality by the Outlanders.
GYPS - (Steam/Cyber/Diesel Realms)  Those of the Gypsy tribes that wonder the realms, and the outlands with veritable ease.  As with all Gypsy' they are a free spirited peopled,  but fiercely adhere to a moral code of swift revenge and avengement.  The Gyps are the eyes and the ears of the civilized realms, and are known to buy slaves from the Outlander Families, just to get them to freedom.  They are master thieves, con artists, and fierce friends to those who they find honorable to be called friend.
FAMILIES-(Steam/Cyber/Diesel/Shadow Realms)  the term used to denote the smallest unit of the Outland inhabitants.  The families are similar to a tribal unit.
FACTION¬-(Steam/Cyber/Diesel/Shadow Realms)  the term used to denote what is similar to a state inhabited by a loose confederation of families of the Outlands.
CAPE - (Steam/Diesel Realm) Vampires of the Shadow realm
WITCH-(Steam/Diesel Realm) Colloquial term of Witches, sorcerers, sorceress, mage, shaman, wizards, witches of the Shadow Realm
SHIFTER-(Steam/Diesel Realm) Colloquial term to all shape shifters of the Shadow Realm
OMEGA AGENT/TEAM- (Cyber Realm) the ultimate of special operations; originally boys and girls who were sign a ways before the Anarchial wars;  trained to become super ninja like soldiers.  These children were adopted and rendered full title and name of the master fighters who trained them.  After many years of such battle, Omega agents are mostly Cybernetisised, giving them great function in processing crime scenes, fighting ability, and death; today these men and women are sent to investigate, stop, arrest, and bring back those who have committed crimes of great injury, to the state and the people.
PEACE MAKERS-(Steam/Cyber/Diesel/Shadow Realms)  The cavalry of the Steam Realm, that is also the national police force  and boarder police of the Realm.
FEDS-(Diesel Realm)  The federal police force.
FLAGS-(Steam Realm)  The flying aircraft carriers used by the Diesel Realm; noted for their huge flags that adorn the bow of the craft.
WEDGES-(Steam/Diesel/Cyber Realm) The flying wings used by the Outlanders, similar to the Horton Flying wing.
BAKERS-(Steam Realm) The micro wave and infra sound  and sonar weapons that's being used by the Antagonist against the Steam Realm.

Gaijin_King
Gunner

Sci-fi author

SK_Author
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 05:22:49 am »

You've already put an impressive amount of thought into this. Should make for a good story.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 07:40:21 am »

Good ideas
Unfortunately DIP/DIPPER is already slang for a pickpocket. Perhaps MATTRESSER as a term for brothel user.
HAIRIES Steam Realm description of Werewolves etc.
BLAVATS Fake or self deluded spiritualists etc.  Steam and Shadow Realm.  As the supernatural is real, they would be like amateurs playing with explosives.
HOLLOW MEN  Shadow Realm term for those who share their bodies with Demons in return for power.

chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 01:38:34 pm »

Smokey: A diesel
Technician: shadow term for steams, diesels and cybers.
Boil: a steam
Sparker: steam term for cyber
Transistorman: diesel term for cyber
Creep: cyber term for shadow
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 01:59:35 pm by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 06:50:43 pm »

As everyone seems to keep using the word, I'd like to point out that the Roma people (ie, Gypsys) tend to view the word 'Gypsy' as a racial slur, so maybe don't use it.

If you need a migratory people as a plot point, make a new culture after some in depth research into various nomadic travelling people.

Sorry to be a stick in the mud, but thos Hammer Horror Gypsy cliches are increasingly seen as racist these days.

'Invoked or not, the gods will be present.'

-The Oracle of Delphi
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 07:14:36 pm »

As everyone seems to keep using the word, I'd like to point out that the Roma people (ie, Gypsys) tend to view the word 'Gypsy' as a racial slur, so maybe don't use it.

If you need a migratory people as a plot point, make a new culture after some in depth research into various nomadic travelling people.

Sorry to be a stick in the mud, but thos Hammer Horror Gypsy cliches are increasingly seen as racist these days.

Thank you for the advice, and yes, I'll be changing that to another term/name.   Cheesy
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 07:17:08 pm »

Good ideas
Unfortunately DIP/DIPPER is already slang for a pickpocket. Perhaps MATTRESSER as a term for brothel user.
HAIRIES Steam Realm description of Werewolves etc.
BLAVATS Fake or self deluded spiritualists etc.  Steam and Shadow Realm.  As the supernatural is real, they would be like amateurs playing with explosives.
HOLLOW MEN  Shadow Realm term for those who share their bodies with Demons in return for power.

Thank you, this'll be changed, and used accordingly. That's the reason for this thread, to get this straight 'before' getting things started in print.
OH BTW, I conversed with the Corsair, and if there's enough interest, he could make this a permanent thread for future use by all.  Cheesy
The Squire
Zeppelin Admiral

Sans Peur

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 08:47:10 pm »

You might have a look through this older thread.

And I concur with Mlle, (où peut-être, Mme.?) Arabella Periscope, that you might consult with the inimitable Vagabond GentleMan, a linguist par-excellence. I believe he wrote a Lexicon of 19th Century American Slang of the New York Gangs-variety back some years ago.

"You don't mind breaking the law?"
        "Not in the least."
"Nor running a chance of arrest?"
        "Not in a good cause."
"Oh, the cause is excellent!"
         "Then I am your man."
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2013, 02:46:45 am »

You might have a look through this older thread.

And I concur with Mlle, (où peut-être, Mme.?) Arabella Periscope, that you might consult with the inimitable Vagabond GentleMan, a linguist par-excellence. I believe he wrote a Lexicon of 19th Century American Slang of the New York Gangs-variety back some years ago.

A great help, thank you.  Cheesy
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2013, 05:55:36 am »

I looked up the definition of "gypsy" or "gipsy" in a number of dictionaries and if you use the term not as a noun but as an intransitive verb it just means people who move about and do seasonal or opportunistic work. Since you are creating a new universe, the connection with the Roma is not relevant, surely?
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2013, 06:44:56 am »

Bookpounder: (all realms) (both nounal and adjectival) Both a traveling/circuit riding or a settled preacher of any faith.
                   -Shepherdstick or Crosspike: Judeochristian preacher or priest.
                   -Bonefather* or Stabwitch*: Outlander blood- or death-cult priest
                   -Dusthugger* or Rustpelter: leader of ancestral-worship or ancient-tech-worship congregations. Also used as descriptive pejoratives of
                    Steam or Diesel Realm dwellers by Cyber-Realm dwellers.
                   -Omwailers: Buddhist priests
                   -Hornwaver: Diabolic or Druidic (there being considerable confusion between the two among nonbelievers)cult or religious leaders. Both  faiths                                        
                    exist in myriad forms and creeds in all realms; the Technoduidic paradoxically inhabit the Cyber realm and revere machine logic.
                   -Keypounders**: used to describe Cyber-realm religious leaders and missionaries by Steam and Diesel
                    Dwellers.
Smith: (all realms): Someone who works the raw or partially-refined materials of the realm in which they live to make objects of all kinds

Dead Engine: (both steam and diesel realms) An engine or locomotive assemblage that lies broken and rust(ing)(ed) and has or has not been looted or
                   cannibalized for spare parts or smithing materials. Can be anything from a fully assembled vehicle such as locomotive or an aircraft, to a
                   an abandoned motor for said vehicles (locomotives of the steam realm are of course both vehicle and motor by definition) sittingall by
                   itself.

------------
*checked and found other copyrighted works using this term
**already-existent slang
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 04:54:52 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2013, 08:55:20 pm »

I looked up the definition of "gypsy" or "gipsy" in a number of dictionaries and if you use the term not as a noun but as an intransitive verb it just means people who move about and do seasonal or opportunistic work. Since you are creating a new universe, the connection with the Roma is not relevant, surely?

Interesting thank you ma'am.  I was not going to use it as any form of racial slur in the Realms, except the Outlands.  In the Realms they are well respected, since this is a time were those who left the Anarchial wars became a better breed of people; just satisfied to stay in different era's, without the prejudice. Granted it's not perfect and a few organized criminal groups exist in all  of the realms.   
I was thinking more of an attitude of a truly free people.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: