The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 06:20:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have an idea . . . looking for feedback  (Read 1595 times)
lizo27
Swab

United States United States

« on: December 03, 2013, 02:25:01 pm »

I have an idea for a story (or series of stories), and I just wanted to know if anyone would be interested in reading something like this.  I've been reading about the Victorian stage magicians and how a lot of them were basically amateur paranormal investigators who went around exposing frauds, etc.  I was fascinated by this and had the idea of doing a mystery series with stage magicians.
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Lady Adventurer, Chronicler

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 02:28:24 pm »

Sounds like an interesting setting - certainly worth pursuing.

Would this be straightforward Victorian in nature, or an alternative Steampunk-type universe? Either could work well.

"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."
Daisuke_sanada
Deck Hand
Japan Japan

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 04:20:33 pm »

sort of like a sherlock holmes magician style??
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 08:29:38 pm »

It would work as a basic premise.  Exposing fake psychics, locked room mysteries, purloined letter and scientific puzzles could all be done by a Magician in a classic Victorian setting or a Steampunk universe.  You would have to get the stage magic accurate.  You might also include the magician's assistant (the assistant is often doing more of the trick than the magician) and the person/people who make the props they use.   If it's interesting for you to write there's a better chance it will be interesting for us to read.

Gaijin_King
Gunner

Sci-fi author

SK_Author
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 08:51:57 pm »

Sounds like a cool idea to me. Has anyone read the third book in the Bookman series? It's supposed to have Harry Houdini as a character. That reminds me: Houdini was friends with Arthur Conan Doyle, and the two were known to disagree on the supernatural. Houdini didn't believe in the supernatural, while Doyle was a die-hard believer. Maybe your characters could have a similar relationship...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 08:59:38 pm by Gaijin_King » Logged

Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 11:57:34 pm »

Jonathan Creek crossed with Quentin Everett Deverill crossed with Hercule Poirot?

Sorontar

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 11:59:26 pm by Sorontar » Logged

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 01:25:23 am »

hurry, the game's afrit!...Wink
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 04:51:39 am »

Sounds like a cool idea to me. Has anyone read the third book in the Bookman series? It's supposed to have Harry Houdini as a character. That reminds me: Houdini was friends with Arthur Conan Doyle, and the two were known to disagree on the supernatural. Houdini didn't believe in the supernatural, while Doyle was a die-hard believer. Maybe your characters could have a similar relationship...

Dr Fox and Mrs Scully perhaps, investigators of the abnormal, members of the Fellowship of Bizarre Inquiries.

Sorontar,
who must admit he once (years ago) wrote a tale about a werefox and a scullery fairy who worked for the Faerie Bureau of Investigations, hunting when things weren't magical.
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 05:33:56 am »

I have an idea for a story (or series of stories), and I just wanted to know if anyone would be interested in reading something like this.  I've been reading about the Victorian stage magicians and how a lot of them were basically amateur paranormal investigators who went around exposing frauds, etc.  I was fascinated by this and had the idea of doing a mystery series with stage magicians.

If you write it, I'd buy it and read it.  Victorian-era stage magicians is a particular fascination of mine as well.  Now, I gotta say, I'd appreciate the book a WHOLE lot more if had a Scooby-Doo ending where nothing was genuinely paranormal and it was all smoke and mirrors that trick the rubes but are less-than-daunting to a professional magician (a la the Amazing Randy, add a touch Sherlock Holmes).

But truth be told, if u wished to target the greatest number of demographics, you'd want to make the bullsh*t a real thing.  People LOVE bullsh*t.

Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
Western Sahara Western Sahara

too depressed for words

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 06:55:56 am »

You simply must include a webley-waving professional-type sidekick!
preferably with a combination sword-cane/magic-cane,
and an intelligent weasel mascot that lives in his topper and gets them out of
tight fixes like Lassie ... I can see it now,  the weasel escapes and makes
his way to Inspector Marsupial who asks "tell me you little Wombat, did Pugsley get
himself in another fix?"

ooooh now you're purple. and it's all echo-ey
i think my influenza shot is kicking in.

no offense, never mind
your hollow servant
prof amravel

The world is in Hell and I am too depressed for words
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

sigletona
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 11:32:28 pm »

You have my interest Sir. Are you intending on having some 'true' magic/paranormal in the world or have it all be hucksters and con artists?

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
RodDuncan
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 02:02:06 pm »

I love this area - the golden age of stage magic. I have been writing about similar things - though not exactly the same as you describe.

You might like to read 'Carter Beats the Devil'. It a really excellent novel, and it is set in that world, so there is lots of good reference material. I can also suggest Derren Brown's books Tricks of the Mind and Confessions of a Conjuror - fabulous for understanding the way conjurors think about illusion. And don't forget The Prestige! 

Good luck Smiley
sebastian Inkerman
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

scrounger and builder of mildly interesting stuff.

S_Inkerman
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 04:26:21 pm »

I would certainly be interested in reading about this sort of thing, not least of which because I do perform some stage mentalism and magic at Steampunk events. If you would like help with some of the research, I'd be happy to pitch in as I have been building up a small library of Victorian magic books for the past year.

Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 08:24:48 pm »

Yes, The Prestige!  Also, if you have a chance to check out the DVD and probably Blue Ray versions of The Illusionist, there's a mini-documentary about Victorian era stage magicians and some of their tricks...like having a rubber pocket in their jacket filled with chloroform such that, having dipped their hand into said pocket, they might wave the hand in the face of an audience member causing them to swoon just a little...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: