The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 13, 2019, 04:17:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Birmingham, Worcester & West Mids events  (Read 75894 times)
Steamed_Up_Scholar
Deck Hand
England England

« Reply #275 on: August 18, 2014, 08:41:26 pm »

I think it needs to have some similarity to the official flag, if only to keep it identifiable. I've tried to make this look a bit more industrial... but i'm kinda limited because I can only seem to find vectors for gears.

We may all be Steampunks, but I prefer to call myself a Phantasmagorical Dandy.
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #276 on: August 19, 2014, 09:10:20 am »

I think it needs to have some similarity to the official flag, if only to keep it identifiable.
Why would that be?

Winterbourne Gunner
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #277 on: August 19, 2014, 09:55:11 am »

I think it needs to have some similarity to the official flag, if only to keep it identifiable.
Why would that be?

I think it makes a good recognizable base for a black country group (not that we need a flag, it was just a 'doodle' I knocked up while listening in to a boring meeting) but I do like the flag, I like reasoning behind it, "black by day, red by night', sums up the black country in Victorian times.

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life."
Steamed_Up_Scholar
Deck Hand
England England

« Reply #278 on: August 19, 2014, 11:47:01 am »

Honestly I couldn't resist making a flag as I have a soft spot for playing with vectors. I think the colours red, black, white, grey just work best for the area. We aren't exactly agricultural, so yellows and greens don't really work, we aren't near the sea, and while we have many canals, rivers aren't our main feature, so blue and turqouise doesn't really suit it, we aren't very regal, so thats purple and gold out too... at least thats my reasoning  Grin.
The Governess
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

cooke_lm
« Reply #279 on: August 19, 2014, 12:45:53 pm »

Anyone traveling by rail to the Botanical Gardens meet this Saturday may be interested to know that you can get 2-for-1 entry if you fill in a form and show your train tickets

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/days-out-in-west-midlands
(Scroll down about 1/3 of the way)

(Sorry, if there is a separate thread for that event I can't find it!)

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
The Crimson Hour is close at hand
www.facebook.com/CrimsonClocks
www.CrimsonClocks.com
http://crimsonclocks.blogspot.co.uk
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #280 on: August 20, 2014, 01:16:37 pm »

Don't forget tonight 20 August social at Ma Pardoes in Netherton. 7.00pm or thereabouts.
Winterbourne Gunner
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #281 on: August 20, 2014, 01:47:56 pm »

Don't forget tonight 20 August social at Ma Pardoes in Netherton. 7.00pm or thereabouts.

I'll be there, can we get a show of hands for who else is coming?
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #282 on: August 20, 2014, 01:51:38 pm »

I am obviously, accompanied by my carer. Lucious Baxter is, Aubreay's on holiday. Not everyone actually expresses their intent either here or on Facebook.
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

Lady Aveline Tamara Claudia Read III... or Madam T

« Reply #283 on: August 20, 2014, 03:54:42 pm »

I don't think I can make tonight (travel issues and I already have a college assignment I have to finish) but I will definitely be at the botanical gardens on sat. Is anybody else getting there by bus?

Medicate with tea ♥

......don't piss me off.....or I shall put you in my next book.....
Never mind the Cogs
Snr. Officer
England England

Chin Chin !

« Reply #284 on: August 20, 2014, 08:52:12 pm »

i'll be on the bus on saturday
 Smiley

If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing at all would ever get done!
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #285 on: August 20, 2014, 11:23:03 pm »

Sorry folks i haven't got in contact sooner. Connectivity problems, thanks t mobile! Flags are a great idea. Seen loads on tents etc here in Weymouth. Hope all went well at Ma Pardoes. Was thinking of you all watching the fireworks! The group tickets for Saturday are reduced for groups of 10 or more I think (haven't got info to hand) so I believe its £6 per person. But by all means if you can get better deal with train deals then go for it. See you Saturday

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #286 on: August 21, 2014, 07:10:58 am »

We did have a splendid time at Ma Pardoes even though we were a bit thin on the ground due to some people prioritising holidays over more important things!
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #287 on: August 21, 2014, 07:46:11 am »

:-)
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #288 on: August 21, 2014, 07:18:17 pm »

Is there a suitable rendezvous point at the Botanical Gardens?
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #289 on: August 21, 2014, 07:22:44 pm »

Ahh yes, rather looking forward to Saturday!

I may be late as I have a driving lesson in the morning but I'm aiming to be in Birmingham no later than 12 midday. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #290 on: August 21, 2014, 10:54:18 pm »

Right back home, shattered and exhausted but happy.

The main entrance is large enough to accommodate us plus take some pics on the spiral staircase. The shop/garden centre are open to the public so plenty of space especially if the weather is inclement.
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

Lady Aveline Tamara Claudia Read III... or Madam T

« Reply #291 on: August 22, 2014, 12:14:04 am »

Does anybody taking the bus on Saturday want to meet up in dudley beforehand? Somehow I don't trust myself not to get lost on a straight line from the bus stop!
The Governess
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

cooke_lm
« Reply #292 on: August 22, 2014, 03:24:59 pm »

Good afternoon all - according to the book of face, rendezvous time tomorrow at the Botanicals is high noon - is this correct?

Apologies, I'd not seen anything before about the group entry idea.  You are correct, Mr Fallowfield, in that entry for 10 or more adults is £6 each - although it appears you can also get 2 adults in for £12, ie, the same cost, which seems a fraction disingenuous...  It may be that Mr Davis and I will use the '2-for-1 if on the train' offer, though, as that will definitely work out cheaper.

It is, of course, now forecast rain for tomorrow afternoon - hopefully post pickernic - but umbrellas may be advisable.  I suspect it goes without saying that Mr Davis and I shall need leave in plenty of time to get back for Doctor Who...

Barring torrential downpours in the morning (we have a two mile walk to the station!), we shall see you tomorrow
Winterbourne Gunner
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #293 on: August 22, 2014, 04:41:19 pm »

Right back home, shattered and exhausted but happy.

The main entrance is large enough to accommodate us plus take some pics on the spiral staircase. The shop/garden centre are open to the public so plenty of space especially if the weather is inclement.

So will you be bringing some <ahem> 'imported' delicacies for me to purchase?
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #294 on: August 22, 2014, 06:10:53 pm »

I figure on taking the bus from Dudley bus station at 10. Tad early I know but I figured if I get there early I'd have a mooch by the two towers, inspiration for on J R R Tolkien who wrote a small tome or two.

if anyone is going by train the nearest station is five ways and the botanical garden is sign posted.

Oh and indeed I shall be bringing along 'imported' delicacies ' for a small remuneration
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #295 on: August 22, 2014, 07:10:49 pm »

October 19, 12.30PM, The Electric Cinema in Birmingham is showing Buster Keaton's 'The General' of 1919.  Is anybody interested in going?
Esme Moore
Snr. Officer

Navigatrix, Combat Horticulturist (Cadet), Poet.

« Reply #296 on: August 23, 2014, 07:53:55 am »

James, I'm a 'maybe' for The General', will let you know for sure as soon as I can.

With regard to the Black Country flag - what seemed amiss to me with the original design posited here was that the teeth of the cogs weren't engaging each other.  Might it not be better to go with something Steampunkish that simply incorporates the Black Country flag as a part of it (eg: a picture of a steam locomotive or traction engine emblazoned with the BC flag?) That said, not being in that area or from it, I have no particular interest in the matter. 
The Governess
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

cooke_lm
« Reply #297 on: August 23, 2014, 09:57:36 am »

I do apologise, all, we aren't going to make today's meet at the Botanicals after all - a combination of rowdy cat and sleepless night has prevailed.  I hope you all have a lovely time.
Esme Moore
Snr. Officer

Navigatrix, Combat Horticulturist (Cadet), Poet.

« Reply #298 on: August 23, 2014, 10:05:16 am »

That's a a shame, haven't seen you in ages, Linzi! I do hope that you're feeling better refreshed soon and that the feline in question behaves better in future!

(added later) An annoying series of minor mishaps mean that unfortunately I won't be getting to the Botanical Gardens today after all.  I do hope everyone attending has a lovely time, and I hope to see you all soon at some other event!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 11:24:12 am by Esme Moore » Logged
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #299 on: August 23, 2014, 05:34:08 pm »

That was a great meeting! (shame the weather refused to play nice....)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: