The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2019, 03:02:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Birmingham, Worcester & West Mids events  (Read 75158 times)
Esme Moore
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Navigatrix, Combat Horticulturist (Cadet), Poet.

« Reply #200 on: July 07, 2014, 06:13:18 am »

Botanical gardens, 23rd August - in my diary, I intend to be there! Unfortunately can't attend the Steamorama :-(
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #201 on: July 07, 2014, 12:42:29 pm »

Printed off a poster for the Griffin night and had it displayed on the community board in Dudley Library

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #202 on: July 07, 2014, 06:14:48 pm »

Big trip to see Emmett's devices in Birmingham:

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,43349.0.html

Wink

Orndorff
Gunner

« Reply #203 on: July 07, 2014, 07:06:52 pm »

Printed off a poster for the Griffin night and had it displayed on the community board in Dudley Library

That's very good of you Sir, thank you.

Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #204 on: July 09, 2014, 01:31:56 pm »

Thinking of the grey clouds accumulating on the horizon marking the onset of colder days I was wondering what people thought of the idea of a charity shop day in the Black Country?

Money is tight, of that I'm all too aware. So what better way to find nice things than to raid the local charity shops (of which there are many!). so saving on petrol and parking what I suggest is that we meet in Dudley, check out the local charity shops and then get the bus to Stourbridge look round there grab a spot of lunch then off to Halesowen to check out their shops and also the suit hire shop from where several of us got some very good bargains this year! Maybe along the way check out Brierly Hill as they have several very good charity shops.
It wouldn't be a full steampunk day in the sense of the punknics etc and by that I'm presuming a civvies optional day

Whaddya think?
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

Lady Aveline Tamara Claudia Read III... or Madam T

« Reply #205 on: July 09, 2014, 03:54:51 pm »

Thinking of the grey clouds accumulating on the horizon marking the onset of colder days I was wondering what people thought of the idea of a charity shop day in the Black Country?

Money is tight, of that I'm all too aware. So what better way to find nice things than to raid the local charity shops (of which there are many!). so saving on petrol and parking what I suggest is that we meet in Dudley, check out the local charity shops and then get the bus to Stourbridge look round there grab a spot of lunch then off to Halesowen to check out their shops and also the suit hire shop from where several of us got some very good bargains this year! Maybe along the way check out Brierly Hill as they have several very good charity shops.
It wouldn't be a full steampunk day in the sense of the punknics etc and by that I'm presuming a civvies optional day

Whaddya think?

That sounds like a fantastic idea! As long as there is money in my purse, count me in! What kind of date did you have in mind?

Medicate with tea ♥

......don't piss me off.....or I shall put you in my next book.....
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #206 on: July 09, 2014, 07:26:53 pm »

Not sure really. Do people want to go soon to get things for upcoming events or do people want to go when theres little else to do?
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #207 on: July 09, 2014, 07:53:56 pm »

We might be able to tag along on this (definitely in 'civvies'). Not for a full day, though, as I expect the children will get restless. Saying that, we have been hitting the charity shops recently - trying to find a few bits and bobs for Lincoln, and also some props for the 'Vampire hunting kit' the children want ready fora halloween prop (yes, I know it's months off, but for once I want to be ready in good time and not making costumes, putting up decoraions and trying to sort out party games the night before!) We've had a few useful finds, including a nice purple duvet cover which is going to become either a skirt or jacket (not quite decided on that one yet). By the way, were you aware of the of the fortnightly Stourbridge vintage market? Again, we picked up a few things last weekend including a ex-army leather case (should make a nicely Steampunk handbag) and a lady's fob watch - it's quartz, but you can't complain for £3.

On another note, Madam Takara, is there any feeling for times at Tutbury? Still the Sunday, I take it?

Yours,
Miranda.
AltheBiker
Gunner

Vroommmmm

« Reply #208 on: July 09, 2014, 09:40:25 pm »

Damn, I'm going to Tutbury but on the Saturday (boys birthday on sunday)... oh dear

al

Music and Toast in Darkness
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #209 on: July 10, 2014, 01:45:33 pm »

Not sure really. Do people want to go soon to get things for upcoming events or do people want to go when theres little else to do?
I'll come if I'm free on the chosen date.

Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #210 on: July 10, 2014, 01:47:07 pm »

Damn, I'm going to Tutbury but on the Saturday (boys birthday on sunday)... oh dear

al
We will most likely be going on Saturday.
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #211 on: July 11, 2014, 12:53:17 pm »

On another note, Madam Takara, is there any feeling for times at Tutbury? Still the Sunday, I take it?

Yours,
Miranda.

I'll have to go on the Sunday still (pity I won't see everyone who is going on the Saturday) I think the event starts about 11 but I'm usually late so I suppose I'll be nowhere to be seen until twelve xD

Is anybody else going on the sunday?
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #212 on: July 12, 2014, 08:11:45 pm »

We had a great day today at Tutbury Castle, towers to climb views to view. Jacobite renactments and traders with shiny things. The village is nice too there's also an Anglo Saxon Church (I'm reliably informed by Capt Bellinger.) worth seeing.
You should have a good day if you're going on Sunday, shame we won't see you.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #213 on: July 13, 2014, 07:59:32 pm »

We had a great day today at Tutbury Castle, towers to climb views to view. Jacobite renactments and traders with shiny things. The village is nice too there's also an Anglo Saxon Church (I'm reliably informed by Capt Bellinger.) worth seeing.
You should have a good day if you're going on Sunday, shame we won't see you.
We have just returned from the Sunday at Tutbury, and I can only agree with the above - a very enjoyable day. Once again, thanks to Madam Takara for highlighting the event; we would have been completely unware of it otherwise (and it was very nice to meet you in person, Madam).

In addition to the attractions noted by Mr Cooper, our little one loved the fun-fair and donkey rides, and the couple from Capt. Shipton Bellinger's Steampunk Engineering very kindly gave to her a silver bullet to add to her 'Vampire & werewolf hunting kit'. And of course, there were plenty of great photo opportunties amongst the towers and battlements.

I was taking to one of the organisers, and she said they were hoping to have a much larger Steampunk event next year, and were looking for dates which would not clash with major event weekends such as The Asylum and Whitby. Definitely something to look forward to; we just need to find a better route through Burton than straight through the town centre...

Yours,
Miranda.
Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #214 on: July 14, 2014, 12:52:10 pm »

Well, the Memsahib and I are back from the week end at Tutbury castle; and what a jolly time it was too.

Mr Cooper, it was splendid to see you on Saturday. Did you get a chance to look at the church?

In addition to the attractions noted by Mr Cooper, our little one loved the fun-fair and donkey rides, and the couple from Capt. Shipton Bellinger's Steampunk Engineering very kindly gave to her a silver bullet to add to her 'Vampire & werewolf hunting kit'.
My dear lady, it was a pleasure to meet you and the little one. It's always important to foster creativity in coglings. And with any luck that silver bullet will be put to good use.

I was taking to one of the organisers, and she said they were hoping to have a much larger Steampunk event next year, and were looking for dates which would not clash with major event weekends such as The Asylum and Whitby. Definitely something to look forward to; we just need to find a better route through Burton than straight through the town centre...
Speaking with Leslie (the castle manager) after the event, I get the impression that she was a little over-awed by her first exposure to steampunks and steampunkery - in a good way, of course. She is quite enthusiastic about having us back next year, with more activities and diversions calculated to interest and entertain steampunks.

Many thanks to Dale and Donna for doing most of the work in setting this up. We'll see you next year for a bigger, better event.

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #215 on: July 14, 2014, 07:55:22 pm »

Mr Cooper, it was splendid to see you on Saturday. Did you get a chance to look at the church?

It was splendid to see you to Capt, it's been an age since we last met. We did indeed see the church, thanks for reminding us. Well worth a look.
No doubt we shall be visiting Tutbury again.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #216 on: July 17, 2014, 07:19:26 pm »

Tickets should start arriving for the Stratford trip over the next few days (mine arrived this morning).  The accompanying letter also confirms the time of the trains. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #217 on: July 21, 2014, 02:53:04 pm »

Well that was a FABULOUS night at the Griffin last night thanks to all who made it so enjoyable
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #218 on: July 22, 2014, 12:29:29 pm »

Well that was a FABULOUS night at the Griffin last night thanks to all who made it so enjoyable
It cetainly was. Great enjoyment.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #219 on: July 26, 2014, 10:01:46 am »

Right;

Last minute planning/ panicking/ packing before Stratford tomorrow...

- Weather forecast suggests it will be cooler than these last few days (yay!), however with a chance of showers. 
- Confirmation of the train times has come through; the Birmingham to Stratford train departs at 10.23AM from Birmingham Snow Hill.  I suggest we get there in good time (especially if we want to get a couple of photographs in).  Suggested meetup time and place:  outside Snow Hill Station at 9.30AM.   
- Return train to Birmingham leaves Stratford at about 5PM; so we'll have a good four or five hours in Stratford itself. 
- I propose (weather permitting) we picnic in Stratford and maybe even go rowing on the Avon, if this suits?

For those who, like me, will be staying the night in Birmingham tonight:

- The 'left luggage' kiosk in Birmingham New Street station opens at 8AM on Sunday morning and closes at 10PM on Sunday night.  Cost to leave one bag for up to 24 hours is £8.

Really looking forward to this!

Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #220 on: July 27, 2014, 03:51:05 pm »

Some of us, ok, myself and Aubreay fallowfield, have been thinking that those of us in and around the Dudley Borough should have more meetings! Low key events just for the pleasure of the company and a chat, dress optional. So there are questions to be answered.
How often? Weekly, fortnightly?
Where? A suitable venue is required obviously. One which is accessible to all and amenable to the meetings.
What time? Evenings 7-9 or similar.

The other proposal is for regular steampunk craft meetings. To meet discuss/design/critique/make props,costume items, gadgets, anything and all things steampunk. The idea being that we can share ideas and skills and experience.
Same questions as above apply.
Esme Moore
Snr. Officer

Navigatrix, Combat Horticulturist (Cadet), Poet.

« Reply #221 on: July 27, 2014, 07:29:21 pm »

Many thanks to James for organising the event on the Shakespeare Express today, it was most enjoyable, and the weather was perfect for it!

Esme
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #222 on: July 27, 2014, 09:19:22 pm »

It was a really good day out!  (Maybe a bit too hot though....) 

Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #223 on: July 27, 2014, 11:22:49 pm »

Some of us, ok, myself and Aubreay fallowfield, have been thinking that those of us in and around the Dudley Borough should have more meetings! Low key events just for the pleasure of the company and a chat, dress optional. So there are questions to be answered.
Where? A suitable venue is required obviously. One which is accessible to all and amenable to the meetings.

The other proposal is for regular steampunk craft meetings. To meet discuss/design/critique/make props,costume items, gadgets, anything and all things steampunk. The idea being that we can share ideas and skills and experience.

That's a fantastic idea! Especially the craft meetings, I could use some critique/opinions/ideas sometimes, making crazy gadgets and costumes as I do(my articulated wings project is the bane of my life right now!)
But either way, regular meets would be great, since a poor deprived arts student like myself can't always afford events (which lets face it can be few and far between anyway). Haven't seen some of you chaps and chappettes since what...the commandary? No idea about venues though, that's a difficult one.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 11:24:55 pm by Madam Takara » Logged
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #224 on: July 28, 2014, 08:16:05 am »

That's a fantastic idea! Especially the craft meetings, I could use some critique/opinions/ideas sometimes, making crazy gadgets and costumes as I do(my articulated wings project is the bane of my life right now!)
But either way, regular meets would be great, since a poor deprived arts student like myself can't always afford events (which lets face it can be few and far between anyway). Haven't seen some of you chaps and chappettes since what...the commandary? No idea about venues though, that's a difficult one.

Glad to hear you're in favour Madam T, if we can all inform those not on BG or Facebook and drum up support. I'll put something on Facebook.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: