The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 17, 2019, 05:08:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Graffiti art  (Read 22835 times)
selectedgrub
« Reply #150 on: January 03, 2016, 02:21:55 am »

selectedgrub
« Reply #151 on: January 23, 2016, 07:12:33 pm »

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2016, 05:26:59 am »

Amazing.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
selectedgrub
« Reply #153 on: February 21, 2016, 05:07:32 am »

Yeah Drew, definitely.

selectedgrub
« Reply #154 on: March 10, 2016, 07:28:38 am »

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #155 on: March 30, 2016, 07:28:13 am »

I've been looking into the varieties of street art that exist out there, and I have to admit it has made me more impressed with artist than anything I've seen in a gallery lately.

There is a raw vibrance and naked human expression in the art made on walls in cities the world over.

and wheatpastes seem to allow more complex designs made in advance to be placed quickly and also have a move temporary nature.

I also like when somebody pushes the boundries too. I've heard of a type of street art sculpture being called lock-ons.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1d/Tejn_peace_sculpture.JPG/800px-Tejn_peace_sculpture.JPG

I'm a bit torn on the 'sanctioned' or not aspect. Most of it comes from the idea that, as somebody pointed out the other day to me, a building owner can be fined for their structure looking run down, and have to repeatedly pain over graffiti over and over again at cost to themselves and great frustration to all involved.

But I cannot help feel that most all of that goes away as soon as you stop fining people for their buildings not meeting the standards of a board of people somewhere else.

selectedgrub
« Reply #156 on: April 01, 2016, 07:24:26 am »

I'm a bit torn on the 'sanctioned' or not aspect. Most of it comes from the idea that, as somebody pointed out the other day to me, a building owner can be fined for their structure looking run down, and have to repeatedly pain over graffiti over and over again at cost to themselves and great frustration to all involved.

But I cannot help feel that most all of that goes away as soon as you stop fining people for their buildings not meeting the standards of a board of people somewhere else.

I loathe "tagging" it is an eyesore.

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #157 on: April 02, 2016, 02:24:54 am »

yeah, I'm no fan of just tagging. But I do feel the lines are not always easy to distinguish. Lettering and typography art things that can be profoundly artistic.

But more to the point, there are a great many people who don't see anything posted on a wall that wasn't requested as a mural as art.

My philosophy on art is that it is an expression of the artist, that requires the participation of the audience (like a tree falling in the woods, is painting that is never seen artistic?) and the art on the street it the determination to get that participation from both. Artists who can't or won't go through the processes of getting into galleries hiring themselves out for commissions, wanting to create things themselves that come unfiltered into being, able to connect with minds and eyes without a ticket, cover charge or being hung in private galleries. Out there for the whole world to see, and to catch somebody who neither of them knew it would happen for and for whom it means something.

But enough words:
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #158 on: April 08, 2016, 05:16:02 am »

not sure if this counts but I always liked this one.

selectedgrub
« Reply #159 on: April 09, 2016, 02:40:46 am »

Yes, that's cool
selectedgrub
« Reply #160 on: April 12, 2016, 07:36:45 am »

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #161 on: May 05, 2016, 09:50:45 am »

interesting article on how in some areas street art can increase values of property: http://www.domain.com.au/news/how-street-art-influences-property-prices-20160502-gojo7a/
selectedgrub
« Reply #162 on: May 06, 2016, 08:12:54 pm »

Yes, it was.
Thanks for sharing it.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #163 on: May 15, 2016, 11:44:35 pm »

the local city unofficial news facebook page had a debate blow up when somebody asked about maybe setting up an area of wall space for street art and graffiti.

A lot of "waste your own money for something like that, not my tax dollars." and a lot of spreading misinformation about it being territorial markings of gangs. Our city barely qualifies as a city in my opinion, we just don't have the right environment to support heavy gang activity, let alone enough of it going on to have gangs marking territory and clashing.

but I will also say we don't really have the population density that breeds actual art on walls. we see a lot of throwups and scribbles and that's about it.

I keep debating if I should get into street art and see if I might be able to encourage improvement.
Asphalt
Deck Hand

« Reply #164 on: May 19, 2016, 01:53:30 am »

There is an great instagram account called Street Art Global.  If you follow this genre of work, I highly recommend adding them to our follow list.
selectedgrub
« Reply #165 on: May 22, 2016, 05:48:19 am »

I keep debating if I should get into street art and see if I might be able to encourage improvement.

You have nothing to lose.

This weekend I got out to get some more photos.
Here's a few of the better ones.

More to come.
selectedgrub
« Reply #166 on: May 22, 2016, 07:44:58 am »

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #167 on: May 22, 2016, 01:57:42 pm »

Shocked
selectedgrub
« Reply #168 on: May 22, 2016, 07:35:52 pm »

Slightly steampunk

selectedgrub
« Reply #169 on: May 22, 2016, 07:48:37 pm »

selectedgrub
« Reply #170 on: May 25, 2016, 07:17:31 am »

Couple more

The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #171 on: May 26, 2016, 02:04:01 pm »

I like Scrat

seen in T´bilisi

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #172 on: May 27, 2016, 03:19:53 am »

You have nothing to lose.

This weekend I got out to get some more photos.
Here's a few of the better ones.

More to come.

These are groovy.
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #173 on: June 05, 2016, 07:18:23 am »

Page 3 of this collection shows something unique. This is definitely being used as a protest, rather than a pissing contest.
Also page 4.

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
selectedgrub
« Reply #174 on: June 18, 2016, 04:57:58 am »

Nice find, thanks for sharing.

Just up the road:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: