The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 08, 2021, 07:55:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Top 101 Science Fiction Adventures  (Read 978 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« on: November 14, 2013, 04:52:38 am »

http://io9.com/the-top-101-science-fiction-adventures-listed-in-chron-1463897780?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Lots of early works that I'm unfamiliar with. I could have done without the thirty-five appearances of the phrase "Radium Age science fiction adventure".
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 01:29:11 pm »

Just read that myself, and what a useful list - I've read most of them but there's a couple I've not.

To Amazon!  Grin

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 06:10:56 pm »

Hmm, have read about a tenth of the books on the list. Although like you Mr Bowman I could have done without the repeated use of a phrase the compiler came up with themselves, and feels compelled to use at every opportunity.

But do have a couple of things I'm not sure of and would like to challenge the author on.

Firstly, (as one of the commenters has pointed out) is the complete omission of Assimov, the guy was/is considered to be one of the greatest SF writers of the 20th Century yet none of his work appears in this list (it's not as if you'd be hard pressed to find one to put in it).

Secondly, is the inclusion of The Mysterious Island, as there isn't anything in it which immediately strikes me as being SF. Personally I'd say it's far more comparable to a 19thC version of Robinson Crusoe (the only SF link to it is because it can be considered a spiritual sequel to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea).

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 05:05:24 am »

Asimov was one of the greats, but his stories were mostly about problem solving. Most of them don't fit well with the adventure category.
Kevin1632
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Steam breakfast of Champions

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 12:50:18 pm »

At the time it was written, the "Mysterious Island" involved the use of futuristic technology to escape confinment, and then survive in an unknown land, the essence of what speculative fiction is.

It is easy to miss that from our current tech level.

Regards,
Kevin

Hmm, have read about a tenth of the books on the list. Although like you Mr Bowman I could have done without the repeated use of a phrase the compiler came up with themselves, and feels compelled to use at every opportunity.

But do have a couple of things I'm not sure of and would like to challenge the author on.

Firstly, (as one of the commenters has pointed out) is the complete omission of Assimov, the guy was/is considered to be one of the greatest SF writers of the 20th Century yet none of his work appears in this list (it's not as if you'd be hard pressed to find one to put in it).

Secondly, is the inclusion of The Mysterious Island, as there isn't anything in it which immediately strikes me as being SF. Personally I'd say it's far more comparable to a 19thC version of Robinson Crusoe (the only SF link to it is because it can be considered a spiritual sequel to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea).

Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 05:07:31 pm »

At the time it was written, the "Mysterious Island" involved the use of futuristic technology to escape confinment, and then survive in an unknown land, the essence of what speculative fiction is.

It is easy to miss that from our current tech level.

Regards,
Kevin

A hot air balloon futuristic in the 1860s? Really? Huh I'll admit there's technology in there that would have been 'cutting edge' at the time certainly and would almost certainly be nigh impossible to create with the ease and or in the manner the protagonists do, but I don't recall anything that wouldn't have been known about, beyond the nautilus itself.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: