The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 16, 2018, 03:57:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Fund Me] Help me save Home Part 2!! War Again!! {{ Emergency Fund-raiser }}  (Read 5680 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2013, 06:20:45 pm »

Report Wednesday 18 Morning:

Another elf emissary from Elrond has appeared in the horizon.  Stay tuned for developments by the hour!

EDIT:  Actually expect a new report within the hour!!  That elf is fast!

As usual the best method to contribute at this late hour is through my Email address (Paypal)  Best thing to do is send me a PM.

To finish off my campaign for the month of December I'm offering a $50 Discount on my most popular item on Etsy, at $50 for an iCog Dione Boilerplate on Etsy only for tonight until midnight CST Dec. 17 (7 AM GMT Dec. 18) Until Thursday and the same item 25% off on eBay just to see if people are paying attention in Etsy and eBay.

and naturally I am always selling this little fellow: (you may have to contact me - apparently this listing is off - but I can sell through my webpage
Baby Crowned Pigmy Kraken keyring $20 (see http://www.etsy.com/listing/166578113/crowned-pigmy-kraken-ver-1-baby-kraken)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 07:52:14 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2013, 09:28:07 pm »

Report  Tuesday Noon Dec 18: The 2nd Battle for Minas Tirith is won! An elf by the name of Legolas, an emissary sent by Elrond, is credited with killing the 2nd and 3rd Orcs in command.  The Orc army is in full retreat!
Report from the battlefield, casualties and heroes, December 18, 2013 (Second Battle at Minas Tirith)

I want to thank all of Brassgoggles; again, for the second time the battle for Minas Tirith has been won.  Although the resources needed to fight this battle were smaller than the last time (A total of $680.40 to pay the rent plus fees), the battle was noticeably more difficult.

There are many wounded in the battlefield and the food stocks are depleted as Winter approaches, which will mean that recovery will be more difficult than the last time.  Simultaneously allies of Gondor grow restless (customers in Etsy are upset some items are late for Christmas), due to obvious monetary constraints, which leave us apologising and trying to calm the situation.

While other kingdoms celebrate the coming of Saturnalia and the burning of the Yule Log, we at Gondor will be taking care of our our wounded, and hard at work to serve out allies in time (customers) as well as recover and prepare for Winter.  The battle has ended, but our struggle is just beginning.  A brief period of rest will ensue today.

The contribution from Brassgoggles was also significant this time around.  A total of 3 people from Brassgoggles were involved.  There were 2 donations for at total of $44.40 combined from GoFundMe at the start of the campaign and Paypal at the end of this battle, plus a temporary loan of $50, so the net contribution from Brassgoggles was $94.40.

External sources provided $25 via GoFundMe in the past week.  So the tally is $119.40 in contributions

The balance of $561 was provided through Etsy sales since the start of the campaign.  These numbers basically reflect how difficult the flow of cash is through the business and how expensive it is to pay rent late, as the net Etsy sales should have been enough to cover the initial rent in December 3.

On the other hand generating $500 every 15 days is nominal for this business on an average month - but abnormally low during the holiday season, as low as 30% of the norm (Note that by coincidence, from December 3 till today it happens to be 15 days exactly).

In the near future:

I need to move fast into a second income.  The Winter is upon me and January is a normally low period of sales, although not the worst, because sales do in fact take place during this period of time, tapering off at the enfd of December - probably coinciding with the American second term semesters in college.

I don't think I should close the GoFundMe Campaign. Even if there wa only a $35 contribution from the outside world, it did make a difference, so someone must be watching - most likely from Facebook.

A second meeting with the generals and the forces will be re-assembled to fend the city once again for the turn of the next turn of the month.

ANY INPUT AND SUGGESTIONS BY OTHER BRASSGOGGLES MEMBERS IS APPRECIATED AND WELCOME.  FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME!!

Thank You and may God Bless Us Everyone.

Adm.  J. Wilhelm.
United States Airship Orca
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 09:42:03 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2013, 10:48:56 pm »

Dear Admiral,

Rejoicing in the camp of your allies, though we have been pinned down in a crag-bound glacier valley during this phase of the war, by archers using Greek fire, who picked off every soldier trying to get through.  Like many of your allies and sympathizers, the blizzard of Midwinter Solstice has hit hard, and the New Fire will bring relief.  Fear not, help will be at hand before the next wave of Orcs threatens.

For now, tend your wounds, rest, and think.

All is calm, all is bright.

Arabella

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2013, 11:16:48 pm »

Thank you dear Arabella.  We cautiously rejoice tonight as we lay our battered bodies down for the night.     We are blessed with a temporary relief from the weather (rhetorically and literally), but somewhere deep in his chambers, King Aragorn smokes his pipe, surrounded by friends and the chieftains of his allies.  He plans his strategy he is not really able to sleep.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2014, 12:06:11 am »

Dear Admiral,

How goes the War?

Did your noble mother join forces?  Are you planning to break camp and retreat into another land for sanctuary?  Have tributes owing been paid?

2014 may be a decisive year -- let us hope it is a victorious one!

Arabella
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2014, 01:22:50 am »

Dear Arabella:

I'm expecting a couple of customers to buy in the next couple of days.  Nerve rattling because that will literally take 100% of my rent due this Friday.  So I'm closely following a band of orcs in the horizon and hoping they don't have  an army behind them, but one can never be too careful.

The holidays have very much affected the business because people have no time/money to spend, although from experience I know at least half of January is decent due to the fact many people buy accessories for their consumer electronics.

As far as looking to flee to foreign lands, I have started the process through job applications targeted at specific regions of the globe. I'm not applying for American nor European jobs.  My goal is to exploit my language skills and advanced degrees as much as I can knowing that in the developing world there is a shortage of qualified people.

A quick scan of the field shows that in the Western developing world (Latin America, Australia, New Zealand - I use the word "developing" not in the 3rd. World sense, but in the economic growth sense), there is a constant shortage of engineers.   was very surprised to find that there is a budding aerospace industry in Latin America besides Embraer in Brazil.  The Canadian company Bombardier is also competing against Embraer by embedding itself in Latin America, and they are not taking their Brazilian rival for granted especially after last month's $4 billion contract with American Airlines for regional passenger jets.   General Electric is also in Latin America - in the Aerospace field as well.

So that part of the world, relegated in peoples minds to eternal 3rd world status, is finally showing it's full economic might.  And the presence of Aerospace industry in the two largest economies in Latin America is very telling of that evolution.  That opportunity didn't exist 25 years ago when I came to the United States.  

I've even applied to aerospace firms I will not identify yet.  I've initiated contacts with family outside the US.  I'm serious about changing my life.  If I stay here I feel I'm not safe in the long run.  I don't know when it will happen, but it needs to happen as soon as possible.

My mother will unfortunately not be joining.  She is very reluctant to move into Austin for reasons known only to her, and not even able at the moment to come visit me for lack of means.  This means that without professional employment I must leave this apartment by the end of April unless I can find another room-mate willing to co-sign for this rental agreement.  So this is not good news for me.  If I go live at my mother's place I will go to share a single bedroom apartment where I can't work on my Steampunk business for lack of space.  I fear she will end up taking care of a very depressed and destitute middle aged man with little prospect of employment outside of MacDonald's hamburgers.  I'm not sure I could survive that psychologically, to be honest.

So off I go into the wild blue yonder. I believe that unless I get hired at my alma mater, the University of Texas at Austin, in the next two months,  I will most likely end outside the US.  So I'm mentally preparing for that.  Naturally I'll be taking my Steampunk business with me wherever I go, since I sell to the world by default,  I can get supplies almost everywhere I go, and no one can fire me from this job  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 01:45:29 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2014, 12:54:15 am »

Dear ladies and gentlemen"

Hunting Orcs again/  This time a small party - I'm short about $140 and I mat collect all he money from my customers tonight, but still nerve wrecking.

Ugh!  I'm hoping to collect the final bill from my customer Down Under regarding that iMac Case. I absolutely HATE collecting money, specially from a nice lady, but I feel I have to.  If I'm lucky, I'll have finally collected 100% .  About $140 short at the moment...
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2014, 01:05:06 am »

Ugh!  I'm hoping to collect the final bill from my customer Down Under regarding that iMac Case. I absolutely HATE collecting money, specially from a nice lady, but I feel I have to.  If I'm lucky, I'll have finally collected 100% .  About $140 short at the moment...

As irritating and worrying that shortfall is, I feel I should point out that there is a bright side in that that particular shortfall is CONSIDERABLY less than the shortfall you have faced in recent months, and as support I offer this particular gem:

Always Look On The Bright Side of Life

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2014, 01:26:06 am »

Ha, ha! Slightly sacrilegious, moderately historical and very funny  Grin

I'm just waiting for customer to drink the morning coffee before placing the fear of God in the customer Grin  But really it's not funny  Cry  I'm an artist, not a tax collector.  I shouldn't have to beg like this and I don't have the muscle to enforce it other than keeping the piece until they pay.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:32:05 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2014, 01:30:00 am »

Come to think of it, that is exactly what my collections pitch will probably sound like later tonight.  I have to time it just right.  Morning, Noon or Evening?  What holds the most impact, noting that Australian weather is inhumanely hot this time of year*?

*Hot weather in Melbourne's Tennis Grand Slam
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:37:27 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2014, 01:55:35 pm »

Come to think of it, that is exactly what my collections pitch will probably sound like later tonight.  I have to time it just right.  Morning, Noon or Evening?  What holds the most impact, noting that Australian weather is inhumanely hot this time of year*?

Gentlefolk:  Miracle of miracles:  the Antipodean customer has paid right away!  While I was asleep even (!).  Mr. Madasasteamfish, that well known Monty Python bit (Life of Brian) may be good luck after all!!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:59:22 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2014, 03:08:29 pm »

Gentlefolk:  Miracle of miracles:  the Antipodean customer has paid right away!  While I was asleep even (!).  Mr. Madasasteamfish, that well known Monty Python bit (Life of Brian) may be good luck after all!!

Huzzah!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2014, 05:07:09 pm »

Huzzah!

Not yet, not yet.  She paid, but I have to make enough for the late fees, so I'm still around $100 short.  But yes, it's a major victory considering all $600 or so  (plus food and expenses I have already spent from the month) so are coming in from the business alone, so the business may be slowly recovering.  But this was a sad, sad winter.

I'm still looking at professional jobs now outside of the US.  I know you and I talked about the antipodes.  Other alternatives have shown up because Latin America as a whole is growing very fast - and it turns out that there is a nascent Aerospace industry now which didn't exist a decade ago (I've been struggling for so long that the world has changes around me since the mid 2000s).

We probably should have an off-topic thread on Global Employement Economic Progress and Business Opportunities, since financial woes seem to be the common denominator for many of us in this forum.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 05:08:51 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2014, 11:19:42 pm »

Huzzah!

Not yet, not yet.  She paid, but I have to make enough for the late fees, so I'm still around $100 short.  But yes, it's a major victory considering all $600 or so  (plus food and expenses I have already spent from the month) so are coming in from the business alone, so the business may be slowly recovering.  But this was a sad, sad winter.

I'm still looking at professional jobs now outside of the US.  I know you and I talked about the antipodes.  Other alternatives have shown up because Latin America as a whole is growing very fast - and it turns out that there is a nascent Aerospace industry now which didn't exist a decade ago (I've been struggling for so long that the world has changes around me since the mid 2000s).

We probably should have an off-topic thread on Global Employement Economic Progress and Business Opportunities, since financial woes seem to be the common denominator for many of us in this forum.

Well it might well help since a friend who decided to get a working holidaymakers visa to NZ told me that I'd probably find plenty of opportunities since antipodean employers are facing a serious shortfall in graduates (if I can pass my driving test and save up a few hundred £ I may give it a go).
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2014, 07:09:43 am »

I think you should, actually. Recent developments are pushing me away from here (I sent you a PM)
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2014, 06:03:14 am »

Would it sound absolutely BARKING MAD if I told you that at the 11th. hours I'm hoping to keep the Orc army away BY REDESIGNING A FLYING BOAT???   Crazy??  Yes.  True?  Possibly quite true.

Please pray for me this weekend.  If this doesn't happen this month, I will have lost Minas Tirith and I may have to start running by Monday!!!

Please PRAY FOR A FLYING BOAT!!!
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2014, 08:34:30 am »

Flying boats are wonderful.  There is always room for improvement, though, with the landing and taking off, according to the recent thread -- I will hope to God for a flying boat for you, Admiral, with all my might!!!  Barking mad lives like ours call for barking mad solutions!!!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 08:40:48 am by Arabella Periscope » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2014, 02:14:40 am »

Flying boats are wonderful.  There is always room for improvement, though, with the landing and taking off, according to the recent thread -- I will hope to God for a flying boat for you, Admiral, with all my might!!!  Barking mad lives like ours call for barking mad solutions!!!

Thank you for your thoughts Dear Arabella.  I'm still waiting for a response from my patron at this late hour.  Tense Sunday night this will be...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2014, 02:34:29 am »

This time the citizens of Minas Tirith hold a secret weapon -- only $34 short of the goal!!
Dear ladies and gentlemen:  This time the citizens of Minas Tirith hold a secret weapon -- I'm only only $34 short of the goal!!  Taking a page from Saruman's playbook, the forces of Minas Tirith got help from the citizenry, who took it upon themselves to build an arsenal of giant saltpeter mines, to be catapulted into the invading Orc Army.  After 2 weeks of conventional fighting, the invading Orc army was nearly decimated in the space of 48 hours

THERE WILL BE A FLYING BOAT!  I have obtained a retainer of $500 for my services as an aeronautical engineer.  My task is to make a list of 5 candidate amphibian aircraft and perform a "sizing analysis" to determine the best candidate and the smallest number of modifications possible to reach a 2000 mile range.

I am now only $34 short of my goal of raising $733 for this month's rent.  $200 of which came from sales in Steampunk (BigCartel.com and $500 of which came from my engineering consulting services contracted today).
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2014, 06:28:32 am »

Dear ladies and gentlemen: as serendipity would have it the US Post Office has refunded $20 from a failed attempt (rather late -not failed) of an overnight delivery.  Because of $10 extra late fees that places me at $33.95 + $10 - $20 =$24 approximate..  The rest of the funds ($700) came from Steampunk sales ($200) and an engineering project redesigning amphibian airplane ($500).

For next month I already have $700 lined up from Steamounk sales (funds pending to be released).

As usual the best way is to place a PM to me in the case there is a contribution.

Many thanks, I remain AYS

J. Wilhelm
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 06:30:44 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2014, 07:26:43 pm »

UPDATE:  The administration is freezing the rent at $734, so I need less money if I pay today:
Only $14 away from the goal!!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2014, 10:13:59 pm »

Update:

Dear Ladies and gentlemen:

Most of the Orc Army is dead, but we have a few enemy trolls left around, who are proving diffcult to kill...

The administration has allowed me to pay $720, but I will need to cover the $13.99 by Friday!
I do have a few prospecting clients, but it looks silent during the middle of the week...  Wednesday is usually not a good sales day.

I remain AYS

J. "Wilhelm"
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: