The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 17, 2018, 04:11:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Grand Day Out - with Steam!  (Read 965 times)
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« on: November 03, 2013, 05:09:41 am »

Today we rode my great-great-grandfather's line as far as Summerville.  The Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum hosted a Steam excursion down the line to Georgia; we were behind the Southern Railway 630, a steam locomotive built in 1904 by the American Locomotive Company (Richmond Works) for Southern Railway. It is a 2-8-0 Consolidation of Southern's Ks-1 class.  Summerville still has a working roundabout, so they turned her there and put her back out front for the return trip.

It was incredibly good weather for it; the fall colors were perfect, it was long enough but not too long; we had a wonderful lunch on the train, and there was even a vintage car show with some Steampunk influenced rat-rods there at the station.

All in all, a Grand Day Out.  There are more excursions - one from Knoxville to Asheville, one to Alabama, some others - coming up soon.  Looking forward to more time on the rails.

Cheers!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 07:29:07 am »

Today we rode my great-great-grandfather's line as far as Summerville.  The Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum hosted a Steam excursion down the line to Georgia; we were behind the Southern Railway 630, a steam locomotive built in 1904 by the American Locomotive Company (Richmond Works) for Southern Railway. It is a 2-8-0 Consolidation of Southern's Ks-1 class.  Summerville still has a working roundabout, so they turned her there and put her back out front for the return trip.

It was incredibly good weather for it; the fall colors were perfect, it was long enough but not too long; we had a wonderful lunch on the train, and there was even a vintage car show with some Steampunk influenced rat-rods there at the station.

All in all, a Grand Day Out.  There are more excursions - one from Knoxville to Asheville, one to Alabama, some others - coming up soon.  Looking forward to more time on the rails.

Cheers!

Chas.

Esteemed Captain Lyerly: Daguerreotypes!  Photographs! Moving picture cameras! Don't forget your optical recording devices when you have an adventure of such magnitude!

Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 01:56:43 am »

Indeed - I was not in charge of the optickal equipage on this excursion; as soon as they are processed, I will certainly share!

It was a wonderful thing to hang out the open window in the club car and see the engine ahead, charging down the track like a living beast. 

We got there early, while the diesel donkey engine was moving cars around; then she came rolling up from the yards, and sounded her horn - I thought La Contessa was going to melt right there in my arms!  She popped up this big wide smile and I think she didn't stop smiling until well after we returned.

Cheers!

Chas.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: