The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 09, 2021, 08:26:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scott Westerfield's "Leviathan"  (Read 1196 times)
owlcitizen11
Swab

United States United States

« on: October 29, 2013, 02:58:53 pm »

Has anyone read Westerfield's novel, "Leviathan"? If so, can you tell me if it's any good. And also, if you have any other steampunk novel suggestions, please share those too. Thanks.
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 05:20:39 am »

I liked it. Some books I like better, some worse. The plot is interesting, it is tied in with some other books, iirc. You could do worse...Wink

As for other books, this forum is replete with them... a quick glance at the last few pages of it will reveal dozens of books.
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 07:08:50 pm »

There are three in the series, & good enough that I read all three.  Better than some I have read...

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 09:26:06 pm »

I read all three and found them to be very good. Easy to read and they do throw up some interesting ideas that have been discussed here on other threads. It is a series I would recommend.

Another to try that I am enjoying st the moment is Cherie Priests boneshaker series. I'm currently halfway through book three and its just as good as the first in the series

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 09:30:03 pm »

What is the title of the third volume, please?
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 10:45:54 pm »

Ganymede is the third in the series sir
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 04:37:53 am »

Ganymede is the third in the series sir

Thank you.  I'll be looking for it.  She has seveeral novels available, but different series- now I know which one...
Pantaleon
Gunner
Germany Germany

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 10:22:39 pm »

I really enjoyed the Leviathan series. I liked the world Westerfeld created there much more than the actual story. He added so many events and characters from real history and it feels very alive and believable, as weird as this might sound. The illustrations by Keith Thompson are also magnificent.
Cassandra Sheffield
Gunner

Darwinist or Clanker?

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 06:52:18 am »

It was an excellent series. I thought it had just the right mix of humor and sobriety, as well as the all-around good writing. Scott Westerfeld is a great author.

I also recommend Around the World in Eighty Days.

It's hard to unwind when people around you insist on stressing you out.

"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly when I'm gettin' paid." -Jayne Cobb (Firefly)
MsKim
Snr. Officer

thepeachmartini
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 09:58:48 pm »

I really enjoyed Mr. Westerfeld's books - a nice blend of history and fiction. Easy to read, as well, but not dumb or childish.

I have only listened to the audiobook of "Boneshaker" and didn't care for that at all...but I think it had more to do with the narrators than the book itself.

Have you checked in the "What are you reading?" thread? Lots of good book selections over there!

~Miss Amelia Featherstone~
Adventurer and Tinkerer
NW Indiana
"Why Kate, you're not wearing a bustle. How lewd." ~Doc Holliday, Tombstone
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: