The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 27, 2018, 08:24:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A new room with unknown potential  (Read 973 times)
hardlec
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Solutions do not need Problems

« on: October 20, 2013, 02:26:48 am »

I will be moving shortly.  I will be getting a new office that is currently an empty room.  Apart from replacing the green carpet with laminate floor, I have a blank canvas.
Can the good folk here recommend some resources?  people who have steamed up a room, or done other projects.

I have done several generic Google searches. 
My quest for curtains/drapes/window treatments is quite disappointing.  Slap gears on it and call it steampunk is about all I've seen.

Whatever happens we have got
The Maxim gun and they have not;
Technology is no substitute for Valor
Both are true.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 02:38:45 am »

I'd think you should start with Victorian decor, and work from there.

I have seen some really nice mock-gaslamp overhead light fixtures with green glass shades; alas, I cannot remember where and I have not been able to find them again.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 02:52:10 am »

Agreed.  Here in North America you are never to far away from Victorian-esque decor.  We are far too conservative in our architectural tastes to do otherwise  Tongue   Do you like ceiling fans?  There are many very Steampunk looking ir steampunkable fans already in the market (I even salvaged one that my apartment landlord threw away  Grin)  Wonderful looking apparatus.

Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 03:32:44 am »

Nice though 19th Century decor can be, I must confess that I've always wanted an office space I could decorate in a 1930s noir detective style: hatrack, heavy wooden desk, with locking drawers (and a fifth hidden in the bottom drawer), steel filing cabinets, old-style venetian blinds, and hand-lettered name in black and gold-leaf on the chipped-glass door panel. If I can find it near some joint with a blinking neon sign, that would be a bonus.
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 04:58:39 am »

The Prairie School of Arts and Crafts design is a bit late, but the earlier Art Nouveau is quite of the proper period.  Take a look with some of the associated search terms with "curtains" or "drapes" and you might find something interesting.  It would not be "Steampunk" per se, but it would be in keeping with a background of the right period. William Morris might be another angle to try.

Best of luck

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 08:06:42 am »

A few possible search areas off the top of my head.
Reproduction Victorian Light fittings
Victorian Design and Interiors
Victorian cabinet making
Edwardian Design and Interiors.
Brass light fittings
Wooden furniture
Fitted workshops
Stately Homes
The National Trust
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 04:03:26 am »

For curtains,try going to JoAnn fabrics or similar. Take a look at all of their fabric,buy some of that heat and mend stuff-if one can't sew or does not have a sewing machine,this is a 'tape'-like shaped roll of material that is heated with an iron to join 2 pieces of fabric together(work very well Wink) and make some for yourself.

I've made a curtain for a very small window,photo backdrops and misc. other stuff this way and have had no problems.

Plus,then you have custom curtains for cheap!

Oh,if you go to JoAnns,download their App. for 40% off coupons!!

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

Captain of the Ariadne's Sorrow

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 04:07:42 am »

Nice though 19th Century decor can be, I must confess that I've always wanted an office space I could decorate in a 1930s noir detective style: hatrack, heavy wooden desk, with locking drawers (and a fifth hidden in the bottom drawer), steel filing cabinets, old-style venetian blinds, and hand-lettered name in black and gold-leaf on the chipped-glass door panel. If I can find it near some joint with a blinking neon sign, that would be a bonus.

I assume this would also be located over either a barbershop or a drinking establishment?

May the gods stand between you and harm, in all the empty places where you must walk.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 04:09:13 am »

For curtains,try going to JoAnn fabrics or similar. Take a look at all of their fabric,buy some of that heat and mend stuff-if one can't sew or does not have a sewing machine,this is a 'tape'-like shaped roll of material that is heated with an iron to join 2 pieces of fabric together(work very well Wink) and make some for yourself.
I'm not absolutely certain, but I believe this stuff is called "fusible interfacing," just so you know what to ask for.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 07:16:50 am »

The Prairie School of Arts and Crafts design is a bit late, but the earlier Art Nouveau is quite of the proper period.  Take a look with some of the associated search terms with "curtains" or "drapes" and you might find something interesting.  It would not be "Steampunk" per se, but it would be in keeping with a background of the right period. William Morris might be another angle to try.

Best of luck

Chas.

Frank Lloyd Wright was not too young at the turn of the century, to be called Victorian!  Shocked  Like me he was born three decades before 1900.  Yes, I guess the Prarie style is late for Vicwardian purposes, but it is so Steampunk at heart if you look at their thesis:

Prairie School was a late 19th- and early 20th-century architectural style, most common to the Midwestern United States. The style is usually marked by horizontal lines, flat or hipped roofs with broad overhanging eaves, windows grouped in horizontal bands, integration with the landscape, solid construction, craftsmanship, and discipline in the use of ornament. Horizontal lines were thought to evoke and relate to the native prairie landscape. The term Prairie School was not actually used by these architects to describe themselves (for instance, Marion Mahony used the phrase The Chicago Group); the term was coined by H. Allen Brooks, one of the first architectural historians to write extensively about these architects and their work.[1]

The Prairie School developed in sympathy with the ideals and design aesthetics of the Arts and Crafts Movement begun in the late 19th century in England by John Ruskin, William Morris, and others. The Prairie School shared an embrace of handcrafting and craftsman guilds as a reaction against the new assembly line, mass production manufacturing techniques, which they felt created inferior products and dehumanized workers.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 07:21:34 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 04:43:22 pm »

I demand pictures! And measurements! Pictures and measurements!

Ahem.

A rough idea of the room size and existing features would be cool, as would knowing what kind of stuff you plan on having in your office. That way we can offer bizzare and improbable suggestions to our hearts content without getting carried away.

Do you have any particular theme in mind for the room, and are you the kind of person that generates / likes a lot of clutter and decoration or do you prefer things sleek and fast? Decoration, functionality or a heady combination of both?

I demands moar info!
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 08:28:08 pm »

Oh my, an empty room.  Endless possibilities such as captain's cabin on a steamship - all polished carved wood and heavy drapes.  Submarine, metal and studs.  Drawing room - lots of overstuffed furniture and too many curtains and covers.  Ballroom with chandeliers, mirrors and polished floor.  British pub - tiles, glass, mirrors, bar.

Victorian interior design changed over the years so best bet would be to go to a bookshop or library and browse until you get excited by a few pictures.  Use the pictures for inspiration on colour and texture.
hardlec
Snr. Officer

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 01:26:00 am »

The room is about 10 by 12.  There is a door in the northwest corner leading to the rest of the house.  There is a door in the southwest corner leading to a 1/2 bats.  There is a window on the east wall and the south wall.  The floor will be covered in a medium brown wood "laminate."  There is no ceiling fan.

My spouse does not like wallpaper.

I plan to put a ring on either door to be a pretend "hatch" opener.  The light fixture on the ceiling will be changed. 

I have a work/craft table and I am searching flee markets and thrift  stores for a roll-top desk.  I may need to make one, but I want to put my computer in a steamy costume. 

My closet is actually outside the room. 
The Squire
Zeppelin Admiral

Sans Peur

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 03:24:41 am »

There are quite a few interior design projects in these Brass Goggles pages that you can search around for. There was an especially well-done bathroom some time back, but...for the nonce, you might have a look at the 360 degree views of some of the rooms on this site to get some inspiration:  http://www.onlinepropertyshowcase.com/showcase/10328/

"You don't mind breaking the law?"
        "Not in the least."
"Nor running a chance of arrest?"
        "Not in a good cause."
"Oh, the cause is excellent!"
         "Then I am your man."
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 04:12:06 am »

Check this out http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,35074.0.html

Birdnest
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 01:04:36 am »

Describe the ceiling, and how high is it.

A lot of style can be had with crown mouldings and painting the ceiling a complimentary color.  Also, consider a nice oriental rug.  That will set the mood for the remaining furniture.  Don't forget to properly dress the window and door openings ... plynths or sills, tower mouldings, cap mouldings (you can do a lot with a nice router and router table)

Onward ho!
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 02:38:03 am »

That is very true.  I have seen a room transformed by the use of a moulding (I don't know what its architectural name would be) set in the angle between the top of the wall and the ceiling, all the way around.  The room went from a square prefabricated-looking box to appearing to have been finished in a day of fine craftsmanship.  The use of a picture-rail or wainscot with a slightly varying shade of paint is also very effective.  You could have blinds on your windows with an idealized trompe l'oeil (sp?) scene that you wish was outside . . . you really have set people off with this empty room, haven't you?

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 03:17:28 am »

First rename this thread:
A new room with infinite potential

A submarine theme fits well if you’re making a hatch.

If you g with Victorian-like drapes and they won’t need anything else to fit into a Steampunk room. If said drapes are to be hung on the sunny side of the house, just heat binding could fall apart, I’ve not tried it though. Defiantly look for coupons if going to JoAnn’s for the fabric.

Arabella’s got a good point, a well made craftsman’s house has rounded corners.

hardlec
Snr. Officer

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 04:45:45 am »

My ceilings are standard 8 feet tall and smooth, paneled with dry wall.

I like the computer desk between the two pylons.  The computer/organ is a bit to complex for me. 
Orrvillian
Deck Hand

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2013, 12:49:18 pm »

Greetings!  This vexing question has caused me to de-lurk and chime in with two humble suggestions.  First, there is an online store at www.touchofclass.com that has many Victorian inspired window treatments to consider.  Secondly, how about a faux tin ceiling?  At www.surfacingsolution .com there are several styles.  I've installed these myself and find them to be quite attractive and easy to install.  Best of luck on the new room...look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: