The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 04:52:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] Renting a house in 1870/80.  (Read 1188 times)
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« on: September 15, 2013, 11:58:03 am »

Call me stupid but did home owners rent out there homes in the 1870/1880s?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 08:17:31 pm by CPT_J_Percell » Logged

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 12:06:28 pm »

I believe that it was the norm in the 19th century, in British cities at least, for people to rent their homes from land owners and developers.  The Bournville estate in Birmingham, for example, was owned by the Cadbury family and let to their factory workers.  The same can be applied to the Darby faily in Coalbrookdale.     

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 01:48:51 pm »

Boarding houses would have been very common.

Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 04:13:23 pm »

I believe that it was the norm in the 19th century, in British cities at least, for people to rent their homes from land owners and developers.  The Bournville estate in Birmingham, for example, was owned by the Cadbury family and let to their factory workers.  The same can be applied to the Darby faily in Coalbrookdale.     

My mother recently bought a house in Bournville. As part of the purchase she was sent a copy of the original deed, complete with Mr Cadbury's signature. It was quite fascinating.

~A~
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 06:24:44 pm »

If you were rich you would own a country estate and maybe rent a London house for the 'season'.  If you were poor you would rent your room by the week; many working people rented a room or even just a bed by the night as their income was made on a daily basis.

So it really depends on why you want to know.  Are you writing a book?
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 07:51:09 pm »

My books MC owns a flat in Bristol but has been asked to moved back to look after a country house. Would he put up the flat for rent?
That is what I should have asked.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 08:08:57 pm »

Call me stupid but did home owners rent out there homes in the 1870/1880s?

OK I'm assuming you mean 'did property owners act as landlords?' rather than 'did people rent their homes (tenants)?'.

The answer is yes. People would commonly rent out any houses and flats they owned, and also rooms, cellars, space on the stair landing (really), and hallways in their own homes to anyone who could pay. Typically if they *owned* a large home, they wouldn't live there while renting it out - they would be considered quite well-to-do. Smaller properties in working class areas may have been shared between an owner and a singe tenant, though again this wouldn't be as common, it was quite rare to own your own home then (less than 15%) - so if you had the money to buy, you probably don't need a tenant... However if a property owner had to move for some reason, it would be likely they would rent the property rather than sell - though there would be logistical issues with receiving the rent money if they lived too far away, though large banks with branches in the area would be able to accommodate.

Usually it was people (tenants) subletting spare space in their rented  property, and this was common in low income homes, especially in the poor / slum areas. In the slums it was not uncommon to find 15 people to one room (several families), even single steps on the stairs would be rented out in the worst cases. And yes, it was as cramped, filthy, smelly and unhygienic as it sounds...

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 08:17:10 pm »

Thanks, Just making sure that small things like that are factual and not fictitious.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to answer.
Eladrial
Deck Hand

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 04:53:26 pm »

As somebody else stated the more common rented accomadation was rooms not whole house's unless your was well off. Plus you had workhouse's you worked to pay your rent if that counts?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: