The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 17, 2021, 11:20:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PARASOL FIGHTING  (Read 5209 times)
WeatherEAFWS
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2013, 11:04:47 am »

*is now sitting here wondering if it would be possible to make a LARP safe umbrella as she knows a large group of girls who would invest in one for events* hehe
I'll have to think about that.

A "closed umbrella" would be easy.  Conventional core wrapped in a folded thin foam cover.

Open would be tricky to make suitably stiff, padded, and properly light.  Between the main shaft and ribs you're looking at 14+ feet of padded core for main shaft and 6 ribs.  Not to mention the ribs potentially acting like a pick axe when you swing it.

Just foam for the canopy might be LARP safe, but way too floppy.

Hehe, was thinking more closed than open, you are right, I can't see a way to safely make an open one  Sad
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2013, 11:54:34 am »

I use a stick when out & about, so there isn't usually a spare hand for an umbrella - which is why I usually use the European style walking stick handle, with the nice, rounded pointy end on it - just perfect for kneecapping!

My dad taught me how to use a stick (for protection) years ago - nothing quite like it for tripping & sticking /whacking (no sticking, as sword sticks are forbidden!).
davidsturimlovelove
Banned user
Swab
Timor-Leste Timor-Leste

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2020, 08:50:42 am »

I have a piece somewhere on making new fabric covers for umbrellas so as to match your costume, this may be useful to you. Also a few further thoughts on ladylike combat.
A self defence class back in the 1980's included use of a folded pop up umbrella as a truncheon and a bottle of perfume instead of pepper spray.
A friend who wears high heels every day also demonstrated her anti mugger technique using her stiletto shoes.
Various styles of fan fighting might be appropriate to include, particularly for places where a parasol might look odd.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 11:32:43 am by Herr Döktor » Logged
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2020, 05:28:41 pm »

Bar Fight from Kingsman: The Secret Service https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tukQDg22o9M
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: