The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 16, 2021, 09:32:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PARASOL FIGHTING  (Read 5208 times)
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Take my camel, dear. . . .

« on: September 14, 2013, 02:59:25 am »

Dear Fellows,
Did you know that, apart from pioneering Rational Dress and Bloomers for ladies, Amelia Peabody could (and no doubt would) claim to have invented the Steampunk Martial Art of PARASOL FIGHTING?.
It is now catching on, but we need a lacy feminine version of the Unbreakable.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6195652/The-umbrella-that-protects-against-rain-and-muggers.html
Would anyone like to manufacture one? Also, produce a quaint guide of the moves for ladies?
A Plea on behalf of the Fair, Gentler but Occasionally Warlike Sex,
C.W.
P.S. It may be based on the Irish Martial Arts: http://www.isfww.eu/grossbritannien-uk/umbrella-defense/index.php
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 03:01:31 am by Camellia Wingnut » Logged

Take my camel, dear, said my aunt Camellia, climbing down from that animal on her return from high mass. The camel, a white Arabian Dhalur (single hump) from the famous herd of the Ruola tribe, had been a parting present, its saddle-bags stuffed with low-carat [sic] gold and flashy orient gems, from a rich desert tycoon. . . .
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer
United States United States

fulgur adducere

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 03:40:49 am »

there is cane fighting too. I'm thinking about taking stage combat training in it.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 04:05:37 am »

Dear Fellows,
Did you know that, apart from pioneering Rational Dress and Bloomers for ladies, Amelia Peabody could (and no doubt would) claim to have invented the Steampunk Martial Art of PARASOL FIGHTING?.
It is now catching on, but we need a lacy feminine version of the Unbreakable.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6195652/The-umbrella-that-protects-against-rain-and-muggers.html
Would anyone like to manufacture one? Also, produce a quaint guide of the moves for ladies?
A Plea on behalf of the Fair, Gentler but Occasionally Warlike Sex,
C.W.
P.S. It may be based on the Irish Martial Arts: http://www.isfww.eu/grossbritannien-uk/umbrella-defense/index.php

I wonder if the ribs could be replaced with sword blades. Just a thought...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 07:51:05 am »

I have a piece somewhere on making new fabric covers for umbrellas so as to match your costume, this may be useful to you.
Also a few further thoughts on ladylike combat.
A self defence class back in the 1980's included use of a folded pop up umbrella as a truncheon and a bottle of perfume instead of pepper spray. 
A friend who wears high heels every day also demonstrated her anti mugger technique using her stiletto shoes. 
Various styles of fan fighting might be appropriate to include, particularly for places where a parasol might look odd. 
Certainly there is scope for many of us to be thinking of this theme.

CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 10:05:43 am »

The (original) esteemed Mr. John Steed, of "Avengers" fame, showed us that the umbrella could be a useful close-combat tool - a thrusting point, a hook and a club.

The opened parasol could also possibly be adapted to more graceful combat styles. (I am inspired somewhat by the "cloak-fighter" from a fiction series "The Shattered World"  - I do not remember author's name - mea culpa)

At least the tips of the ribs could be sharpened, - thrusts, or a 'buzzsaw' spin attack. The covering might well suffer damage.

Opened, it would be a decent shield, against many attacks (assuming strong ribs and a non-lace fabric)

A highly-reflective liner to the parasol could torn it into a 'foe-blinder' using ambient sunlight or a handle-mounted bright light.

Fascinating concept to ponder.

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 04:40:45 pm »

As a note, canes, cloaks, and coats were taught as weapons in old-style street-fighting savate. I have no idea if there are any teachers who still know that material, though, as savate, from what I hear, has turned mostly into a kickboxing sort of sport, as with so many other martial arts.
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 07:46:08 pm »

The Unbreakable looks like a fairly ordinary umbrella, other than being tough enough to take a serious whacking.  This makes it legal in places where weapons are forbidden.  This changes the moment the point or ribs are sharpened.  (not legal advice, your mileage may vary with jurisdiction.)

As for a combat style for an open parasol, rapid motions would be largely constrained to spinning and arcs defined by the curve of the canopy.  If you allow for rapid closing and opening, a somewhat weakened thrust is possible.
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 09:18:05 pm »

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am gratified by your courteous interest in my humble proposition.

You have inspired me to attempt a classification of the Moves:

i) Ladylike
E.G. Playful flourishes
Use of handle to draw persons aside
Tripping

ii) UnLadylike
Various Whackings
Proddings upon proper areas of the anatomy

iii) Disgraceful
Advances when opponent is not looking
Aiming at eyes

iv) Shocking
Use of point upon improper areas, etc.

v) Unmentionable
. . . . . !

vi) Fatal
Arming the weapon with hypodermic point and germs (cf. Russian assassins)
Berserk charges

Marchioness of Queensberry Rules apply to the first three. After that a Veil is Drawn.

Self-Defense is graciously permitted.
Sudden opening of parasol in face of charging rhinoceros is said (by Conan Doyle) to be effective. Note: rhinoceros in blind rage must be allowed to approach rather closer than one would wish.

C.W.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 09:19:50 pm by Camellia Wingnut » Logged
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 09:20:46 pm »

A recent demonstration!  Very stylish multitasking of the umbrella.

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 10:36:42 pm »

There is something  that is more than a little "Pythonesque " about the concept.
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 12:51:40 am »

My Dears,
A red parasol signifies that the lady is extremely dangerous, except to bulls.

C.W.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 01:04:11 am by Camellia Wingnut » Logged
churchjw
Officer

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 02:28:15 am »

This thread brought to mind a project I did a while back and forgot to take pictures of and post. My wife is also I fan of Amelia Peabody and she wanted a parasol worth fighting with.  

All of the workings are made of bronze with the main shaft out of stainless steel.  I am looking to replace the shaft with a solid titanium one when I can find one I can afford.  

100_8856 by churchjw, on Flickr

Here is the opening parts.  The only thing I didn't make were the ribs.  They were out of an old umbrella that I used as a model.

100_8849 by churchjw, on Flickr

The handle is a glass door knob but is easily replaceable.  I have a set in different colors to match her different outfits and a solid stainless one that does a fair imitation or a mace.

100_8850 by churchjw, on Flickr

100_8851 by churchjw, on Flickr

The end screws on for easy replacement of the cover and has a separate tip that can be changed out for different needs.  I have a rubber one for slick floors and the one pictured is hardened O1 tool steel at about 65c rockwell.  I drove to through a cinder block as a test before I put the cover on.  It cracked the block like an egg and you couldn't see any marks on the tip.  

100_8858 by churchjw, on Flickr

100_8854 by churchjw, on Flickr

I couldn't figure out a spring release like on a modern umbrella that didn't weaken the main shaft so I made one that screws together.  The advantage is it holds the ribs much tighter to the shaft.  The down side is you have to turn it about half a turn to get it to open so its not as quick and a modern one.    

DSCN0075 by churchjw, on Flickr

Here is her with it at Contemperal this year.

Jeff
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 02:34:44 am by churchjw » Logged
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 03:08:31 am »

Dear Churchjw,
How perfectly splendid! Never did I imagine my fleeting thought so skilfully realized. What a gem of a spouse you are!
C.W.
Maudlin Hart
Deck Hand

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 02:41:32 am »

I recently took a class on parasol fighting at a Steampunk convention- the gentleman running it told us not to bother whacking, since the ribs and fabric absorb too much force for a parasol to be an effective club. Nor is it weighted correctly to be used in the manner of a rapier. He advised that we grip the folded parasol with both hands and use it first to parry attempted grabs, and then as a bayonet directed at the face. He described the system of two parries and repeated stabbings as "Nope- Stop- fuck off! fuck off! fuck off!"

Ragamuffin
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 02:50:26 am »

Take that, Sir  . . . And that!!!
Lachlan_MacAuslander
Snr. Officer

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 12:14:33 am »

*coughBartitsucough*
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 01:12:25 am »

Oh dear, a chesty cough.
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 11:26:25 pm »

Ladies,
I think we have a volunteer for our parasol practice. Shrewd blow, Walking Stick!
The fact that he has a cough will not excuse him.
C.W.
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 04:46:44 pm »

I must ask my friend the name but there is a man who recently rediscovered and has made instructional videos on cane fighting. The style mentioned in the Sherlock Holmes books. The man was one of the fight directors or such for the recent Robert Downey Jr Sherlock Holmes movies.  I believe the man also made umbrella fighting videos
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 06:13:56 am »

who could forget this dapper umbrella weapon fighter

Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

mgfarley
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 10:05:16 am »

Real Self Defense sells an 'Unbreakable Fighting Umbrella'. Apparently they're used by the President of the Philippines personal bodyguards.

Here's a video of one in use (feel free to skip to the one-minute mark for a novel way to make fruit salad).

Self-defense Unbreakable Umbrella from Real-Self-Defense.com

WeatherEAFWS
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2013, 10:31:51 am »

*is now sitting here wondering if it would be possible to make a LARP safe umbrella as she knows a large group of girls who would invest in one for events* hehe
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2013, 08:54:08 pm »

There are no classes available.  Would someone make an instructional DVD on Parasol Fighting?  It would be more fun than a baton, which was recommended by some gentlemen of this forum as an effective means of self-defense in a dangerous neighborhood.  Although there is one problem with umbrellas; you forget the damn things everywhere.
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2013, 09:50:08 pm »

My Dear Arabella,
Language!
That is why you fasten them to your belt with a stout hook.
Yr. Affct. Gt.-Aunt,
Camellia
P.S. There is then the problem of being tripped up while chasing villains.
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2013, 12:47:10 am »

*is now sitting here wondering if it would be possible to make a LARP safe umbrella as she knows a large group of girls who would invest in one for events* hehe
I'll have to think about that.

A "closed umbrella" would be easy.  Conventional core wrapped in a folded thin foam cover.

Open would be tricky to make suitably stiff, padded, and properly light.  Between the main shaft and ribs you're looking at 14+ feet of padded core for main shaft and 6 ribs.  Not to mention the ribs potentially acting like a pick axe when you swing it.

Just foam for the canopy might be LARP safe, but way too floppy.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: