The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 13, 2017, 04:30:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Imperial Steampunk Society  (Read 4370 times)
SpeedyFrenchy
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: August 15, 2013, 11:40:05 pm »

Today, I found out my A level results, and I've been accepted to Imperial College London (my first choice). Cheesy Now for the important part, it was suggested back in January that an Imperial College steampunk society was formed. I'd like to know if there is any other interest from current students at Imperial - I know Ada Thorold was interested, but is there anyone else out there?

It's not where you're from, it's wear your hat.

- Mr B
Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 12:17:52 pm »

Congratulations! I guess I'll be seeing you around the department, although I wont know its you... hmm.... perhaps we need some sort of code word....

I don't know how many other students there may be. I have seen some slightly steamy dress around campus but I don't know if they are steampunks or just snappy dressers.

As for forming the group it seems that we need at least 3 people at the beginning; a chair, treasurer and secretary. So if we have two already we only need one more victim and I may be able to twist the arms of a couple of friends. After that I don't know, I've never run one of these things before, but I'm willing to give it a go. Any tips from other university steampunk societies?

~A~
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 05:38:50 pm »

The SF Group are well known and run Picocon in February, so you might be able to work something out with them, it was at Picocon that I inveigled Commodore Rankin and Lady Raygun into the steamfold.

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 07:40:40 pm »

A few years ago I organised a university steampunk/chappist society. 

It's really not that hard, if you run it more as an informal meeting-up venture rather than try to go through official university channels (I tried that with another university society I was involved with, it got very complex and frustrating very quickly and in the end we ran that too as an unofficial society). 

We simply set up a myspace (as it then was- that's how long ago it was!) page, agreed on a regular set night and venue to meet (I think it was every second Wednesday in a particular pub) and took it from there.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
SpeedyFrenchy
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 01:33:49 am »

Congratulations! I guess I'll be seeing you around the department, although I wont know its you... hmm.... perhaps we need some sort of code word....

I don't know how many other students there may be. I have seen some slightly steamy dress around campus but I don't know if they are steampunks or just snappy dressers.

As for forming the group it seems that we need at least 3 people at the beginning; a chair, treasurer and secretary. So if we have two already we only need one more victim and I may be able to twist the arms of a couple of friends. After that I don't know, I've never run one of these things before, but I'm willing to give it a go. Any tips from other university steampunk societies?

~A~

Well, at some point presumably we'll find out each other's real names.I'll be the tall quiet one with brown hair. Wink I don't mind doing any of those roles, so if you can find one more person to join we can submit an application. I wonder if we can change the names of the roles? Major General sounds much more fun than Secretary. Wink

I checked the form here, and it seems we need to provide a rough outline of what we intend to do as a group, as well as a budget and cost information. Since you've been there a year, I figured you'd know more about funding and society costs than me, so I'll defer to you on that one.

We also need to inform them of any equipment we may need, I thought a couple of pairs of communal brass goggles to be loaned out to new steampunks would be a nice idea, and maybe some leather working tools?

Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 11:59:51 am »

Well, at some point presumably we'll find out each other's real names.I'll be the tall quiet one with brown hair. Wink I don't mind doing any of those roles, so if you can find one more person to join we can submit an application. I wonder if we can change the names of the roles? Major General sounds much more fun than Secretary. Wink

I checked the form here, and it seems we need to provide a rough outline of what we intend to do as a group, as well as a budget and cost information. Since you've been there a year, I figured you'd know more about funding and society costs than me, so I'll defer to you on that one.

We also need to inform them of any equipment we may need, I thought a couple of pairs of communal brass goggles to be loaned out to new steampunks would be a nice idea, and maybe some leather working tools?

And I am the one with red hair, as 90% of our PhDs are male I should be reasonably easy to spot.

I have no idea about running costs, I guess it depends what we want to do. If we just want to go to the pub in our finery once a month the running costs will be roughly £0. But if we are going to run making sessions and such like it'll be more as we will have to purchase equipment and materials. I am pretty sure we have at least one official university group, Southampton maybe? I don't suppose they would share their experiences in these matters? An unofficial one may be easier but I have no idea how we would go about recruiting members.

~A~
SpeedyFrenchy
Snr. Officer

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 12:59:20 pm »

And I am the one with red hair, as 90% of our PhDs are male I should be reasonably easy to spot.

I have no idea about running costs, I guess it depends what we want to do. If we just want to go to the pub in our finery once a month the running costs will be roughly £0. But if we are going to run making sessions and such like it'll be more as we will have to purchase equipment and materials. I am pretty sure we have at least one official university group, Southampton maybe? I don't suppose they would share their experiences in these matters? An unofficial one may be easier but I have no idea how we would go about recruiting members.

~A~

That's the problem with CompSci, it's ridiculously skewed towards guys. I thought perhaps a mix of social and practical meets. Tea duelling and the like, fairly informal. If we could get access to a room to meet in once a week/fortnight from the uni, then we wouldn't really have any other running costs apart from those for equipment.

There is a Southampton SP group, Matthias Gladstone is a member. I've PM'd him asking for advice. I see no real benefit to making the group unofficial, and going through official channels will make it easier to find a meeting space and the like.
Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 01:43:21 pm »

That's the problem with CompSci, it's ridiculously skewed towards guys. I thought perhaps a mix of social and practical meets. Tea duelling and the like, fairly informal. If we could get access to a room to meet in once a week/fortnight from the uni, then we wouldn't really have any other running costs apart from those for equipment.

There is a Southampton SP group, Matthias Gladstone is a member. I've PM'd him asking for advice. I see no real benefit to making the group unofficial, and going through official channels will make it easier to find a meeting space and the like.

Yeah, I think we should keep it quite informal to start with. We could also organise group trips to the bigger meets so that no one has to go on their own (as that can be intimidating for the new folk). If we do start practical meets in a large space it could be handy as most of us probably live in a shoebox and cant really start any ambitious projects. Hmm.... I wonder if mech eng will let us use the workshops.... probably not.

I also messaged Matthias, oops. Hopefully he will appear shortly and share his wisdom.

~A~
SpeedyFrenchy
Snr. Officer

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 01:57:08 pm »

I wonder if we can have some kind of representation at the society day? I was also thinking of taking the minibus to cons and other meets, and perhaps having authors or other guests give workshops or something, if we had enough members.

This is Matthias' post about the start of Krakensoc, it has a few interesting ideas, including RPG gaming, another interest of mine:

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=33052.0

The idea of working on some kind of production also sounds intriguing, but should perhaps be shelved for now.
Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 03:15:33 pm »

I suspect that we would have to be established before the freshers fair, so we may have to wait for next year for that. I don't know how long it will take to set up once we send the union the form, and I don't think we can fill that out until you actually arrive. I was thinking of popping into the union at some point and asking some of these questions so I will let you know.

Well done digging out that thread. I hope Imperial doesn't have a 25 member rule because I doubt we could find that many without going to the fair. Once we are set up and running we can see if there is any interest in taking on some of the more ambitious events/projects.

~A~
SpeedyFrenchy
Snr. Officer

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 04:12:48 pm »

We also can't fill in the form till we have at least one extra member to act as president/secretary/treasurer. If you wouldn't mind talking to the union, I can start filling in the form. The application form requires an estimate for how many members we think we will accrue, but doesn't state a minimum, so I'd assume that there isn't one.  If we can get the society established this year at least, then we can try and expand next year, that's fine. Starting small is probably a better idea anyway.
vampyresheep
Snr. Officer

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 12:45:37 am »

Well if you do set up anything informal and don't mind a steampunk from IC Staff coming along, do let me know! (I'm not that old, honest!) :-)  I don't think I can join on an official basis, not being a member of the Student Union; although one of my colleagues is involved in the steam train society.  Come to think of it, there may be people in that society who might have an interest in the steampunk side too?
Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 10:30:35 am »

We also can't fill in the form till we have at least one extra member to act as president/secretary/treasurer. If you wouldn't mind talking to the union, I can start filling in the form. The application form requires an estimate for how many members we think we will accrue, but doesn't state a minimum, so I'd assume that there isn't one.  If we can get the society established this year at least, then we can try and expand next year, that's fine. Starting small is probably a better idea anyway.

I'll speak to some of my friends and see if I can find a volunteer for the 3rd founding member. None of them are currently steampunks but some may have potential.

Well if you do set up anything informal and don't mind a steampunk from IC Staff coming along, do let me know! (I'm not that old, honest!) :-)  I don't think I can join on an official basis, not being a member of the Student Union; although one of my colleagues is involved in the steam train society.  Come to think of it, there may be people in that society who might have an interest in the steampunk side too?

You would be very welcome I'm sure. I know one member of staff that joined the archery club so I think there must be some leeway, and if not we just wont tell anyone.

SpeedyFrenchy - Based on this advice and that of Mr Harrow, perhaps in the similar clubs box you could put the SF and fantasy club and the steam train society. That'll confuse them.

~A~
SpeedyFrenchy
Snr. Officer

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 11:21:32 am »

I'll speak to some of my friends and see if I can find a volunteer for the 3rd founding member. None of them are currently steampunks but some may have potential.

You would be very welcome I'm sure. I know one member of staff that joined the archery club so I think there must be some leeway, and if not we just wont tell anyone.

SpeedyFrenchy - Based on this advice and that of Mr Harrow, perhaps in the similar clubs box you could put the SF and fantasy club and the steam train society. That'll confuse them.

~A~

I believe that the third member has to be a student as well, but if it's permissible, you're more than welcome to take part vampyresheep.

Ada, I was also thinking to put Southampton's KrakenSoc as a similar club, since they're also a steampunk society. I did wonder if there's some way to send a mass email asking for anyone interested in SP on the college systems.
vampyresheep
Snr. Officer

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 01:57:06 pm »

~A~

I believe that the third member has to be a student as well, but if it's permissible, you're more than welcome to take part vampyresheep.

Ada, I was also thinking to put Southampton's KrakenSoc as a similar club, since they're also a steampunk society. I did wonder if there's some way to send a mass email asking for anyone interested in SP on the college systems.

Smiley  I've tried to look into the networking/promoting side of things on the college website.  On the staff pages we have a noticeboard for promoting events, I don't know if the student pages have something similar?  There is the ICU twitter feed I guess, if you use that at all.
And the train society is actually the Railway and Transport society, so i think they're more into trains in general (the techy side rather than the aesthetic side) but you never know, there may be one or two members who might be interested?  The guy I work with who belongs to that society is on holiday this week but I'll try to find out if he has any advice when he's back - he's not actually on their committee but a very enthusiastic organiser!  Smiley
Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 12:18:28 pm »

Sorry for my absence, real life got in the way. I have managed to locate a third member, he is happy to come along although he isn't really into steampunk (yet!), but I told him he could always abdicate when we got more members. As for promoting I was thinking that flyers around campus and word of mouth to begin with. I don't think mass emails are really approved of!

Haven't had a chance to go to the union yet, hopefully later this week.

~A~
SpeedyFrenchy
Snr. Officer

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 12:18:47 am »

Sorry for my absence, real life got in the way. I have managed to locate a third member, he is happy to come along although he isn't really into steampunk (yet!), but I told him he could always abdicate when we got more members. As for promoting I was thinking that flyers around campus and word of mouth to begin with. I don't think mass emails are really approved of!

Haven't had a chance to go to the union yet, hopefully later this week.

~A~

Excellent! And thus begins our plan to brainwash him into steampunkitude. That sounds reasonable, with three members we can try to get it up and running before the society day, which would help us get started.
vampyresheep
Snr. Officer

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 02:50:09 pm »

I've had a chat with my work colleague who's a (staff) member of the Railway Society.  He's rather enthusiastic about new societies being set up and has already started speaking to someone on my behalf for advice.  He can't see any problem with you setting up a table at the freshers fair, even if there is just two or three of you but of course, would need to get the ball rolling soon if you want to do so.  Anyway, if you wish to go down that route, I should soon be able to have a contact name for someone at the Union to speak to for advice on getting started.
I did wonder if there would be any closet steamers in the Railway Society, however i get the impression its more of an engineering interest than the aesthetic side.  However, you never know?  Smiley
Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 05:18:14 pm »

Excellent. A contact would be very useful, the union has so far not replied to my email with all our queries. I was going to drop by but wasn't sure who to speak to. I think our outstanding queries are to do with what point SpeedyFrenchy is sufficiently here to be a founding member, and how much detail we need on the projected finances.

Perhaps we just go ahead with filling in the form, keeping everything simple, and worry about everything else later in the year?

SpeedyFrenchy - do you have your CID etc for filling in the form? If you do I'll pm you mine and my friends so you can complete it.
vampyresheep
Snr. Officer

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 11:09:55 pm »

my colleague is going to speak to someone called Yasmin at the Union tomorrow - apparently she sounded rather enthusiastic about the idea!  I have let him know that you've not had any response to your queries, so hopefully they should be able to give me a name/advice on what to do next.
SpeedyFrenchy
Snr. Officer

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 12:55:01 pm »

I do have my CID, I'll PM you shortly and get on with this form. Smiley

EDIT:

Here's the information I've filled in so far:

Proposed Full Name of Club/Society : (The) Imperial Steampunk Society

Proposed Short Name of Club/Society : ISS (?)

What is the Club/Society’s core activity? What else do you aim to do? : This one's a tricky one, but I'll put something about appreciating a certain aesthetic and movement, plus watching films, making things, etc.

Which existing clubs/societies are you most similar to and how? It is advised to name at least 1 club. : The Sci Fi society, I'd also like to put Southampton's KrakenSoc down, since it's an actual steampunk society.

How are you going to achieve your club’s aims? What events/activities will you organise? How much will
these events cost to attend?
To answer this, I think we need to work out what our aims are. Wink For events, outings to events/locations of interest would be good, and cost variable.

How will you measure whether you have met your aims or not? : again, dependant on what our aims are.

How do you plan to recruit students to your club/society? : Stand at the fresher's fair (in costume?), plus flyers and a website would seem to be the order of the day here.

What will your club/society bring to the ICU community? Why should we support your idea? : I'm thinking something along the lines of a quiet, non-judgemental space for steampunks to do fun things and be splendid.

What are your long term hopes for the club/society? How will you ensure the it continues successfully? : No idea for this one.

Would you require any equipment for your activities? If so, what? : I thought perhaps some leather working tools would be interesting, and I guess a TV for watching steamy films and the like.

How much do you anticipate charging for membership? Realistically, how many members do you estimate
will join the club by the end of its first year?
: Something like £5, plus extras for events and the like. Perhaps a dozen members is a good number to aim for?

« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 01:11:30 pm by SpeedyFrenchy » Logged
Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 02:50:56 pm »

Good start. I think our core activity should be a social group for those interested in steampunk culture. Nice and broad.

"How are you going to achieve your club’s aims? What events/activities will you organise? How much will these events cost to attend?"

I think most of the events will be free (at least for entry) as they'll just be meet ups in the pub or union room. Perhaps have a guesstimate about how much it would cost to attend the asylum (maybe with 1 night in Lincoln in a cheap hostel) and use that as an example of an annual event. That's probably as expensive as it'll get.

I think our aims will be achieved if there is still a group of people meeting regularly at the end of the year.

I guess long term we just want it to become large enough to not die out!

I wouldn't bother putting tv in equipment as we would just get a union room with one if need be. Also perhaps be vague about the craft equipment, just put something like 'small crafting tools to share' so if we want to expand into other crafts its easy. The potential problem with getting lots of equipment is storage, it may cause an extra layer of complexity.

Otherwise it's looking good. I'll pm you with my CID and nag my friend for his. If you have no objections I suggest putting him down as the treasurer as they probably wont have much to do initially. After that we can dual for the chair! (either is fine with me)

~A~
SpeedyFrenchy
Snr. Officer

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 03:48:12 pm »

Yeah, a social group is a much better way of putting it. Yeah, free entry except for trips out, with varying prices. We may want to find a cheaper example of an event as well as the Asylum, just to balance it a bit.

How will we achieve the aim though, just by having enough dedicated members?

And yeah, it seems vagueness is key.

So, do you want to be chair, or secretary?
Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 04:28:42 pm »

For a cheaper trip just pick an interesting museum and use the concession price.

I think if it is mainly a social group then just having people turn up is enough. Hopefully. Maybe put something about getting new people interested in steampunk?

I honestly don't mind if I am chair or secretary. It may be easier if I'm chair at least to start with because I am actually here and can go to any meetings. Although its the holidays so there probably aren't any meetings... who knows.

~A~
SpeedyFrenchy
Snr. Officer

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 06:01:29 pm »

Sounds like a plan, since we're in walking distance of both the Science and Natural History museums. I've filled in a fair amount of the form, I'll just upload it to Drive and link it here.

Form
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 06:03:28 pm by SpeedyFrenchy » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: