The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 03:48:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barbara Mertz (Elizabeth Peters, Barbara Michaels) dies at 85  (Read 1712 times)
Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« on: August 15, 2013, 10:16:16 pm »

A friend just acquainted me with the fact that the creator of Victorian Egyptologist Amelia Peabody passed away on August 8th. I have enjoyed her books for decades, and will miss waiting for new books to come out. Amelia Peabody's adventures aren't quite Steampunk, but close enough for me. I have copies  of many of the books, so  I can always enjoy them over again, but I feel sad that a really great writer has left us...

This isn't the Junior Chamber of Commerce, Brad!
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 10:25:47 pm »

Oh, that is very sad.  I have loved Amelia for her whole long fictional life.  I hope she is now chatting with Abdullah on the rim of the Valley of the Kings as the sun comes up.  And if Amelia Peabody was not Steampunk, nobody is!

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 11:03:45 pm »

In tribute to Amelia Peabody Emerson, I suggest that we might put forward a Ladies' Challenge to make either a lethal parasol or a useful belt of tools, including the iconic candle and matches in waterproof box, pistol, knife, flask of brandy, sewing kit, first aid kit, and length of rope (for securing captured enemies).

Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 12:32:16 am »

I second the motion! I have long wanted a lethal parasol, but that seems tame when I contemplate the tool belt! Didn't she also carry some disinfectant for washing the local donkeys?  Wink
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Take my camel, dear. . . .

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 09:22:59 pm »

Dear Ladies,
Alas, Amelia's creator will be sorely missed. Let us console ourselves with the thought that Amelia herself lives on in her extremely lengthy and fortunately indiscreet Memoirs. Perhaps one day her life will be documented in moving daguerrotype film.
By-the-bye, I feel staunchly that Amelia is supremely Steampunk, with her stout boots, crimson Turkish trousers, Belt of Tools, repertoire of disguises (including Old Gypsy Lady and`Animal-Headed Egyptian God) and beloved dahabeeyah. We ought to inaugurate a Steampunk Hall of Fame, in which the signature artifact of each Immortal is made and displayed in a Gallery.
With an affectionate farewell to Elizabeth Peters, giver of so much joyful adventure:
Gone but Never Forgotten,
Great-Aunt Camellia

Take my camel, dear, said my aunt Camellia, climbing down from that animal on her return from high mass. The camel, a white Arabian Dhalur (single hump) from the famous herd of the Ruola tribe, had been a parting present, its saddle-bags stuffed with low-carat [sic] gold and flashy orient gems, from a rich desert tycoon. . . .
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Take my camel, dear. . . .

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 09:37:10 pm »

I am surprised that the forum has not reacted more strongly to the loss of the Emersons.  Their fictional adventures span the Steampunk era and reflect the alternate world of the Splendid with great persistence over the years of the family's life.  The promise of the first book, 'A Crocodile on the Sandbank,' was fulfilled beyond all expectations; "What fun we are going to have!" Digging in the dirt and quarreling up and down the Nile.  The lighter side of Steampunk, Elizabeth Peters nailed it.

On her belt of tools, she probably also had some ointment for camel sores, a bottle of water, a bottle of cold tea, and some Keatings' Powder.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 07:31:57 am »

To be honest auntie I'm not personally terribly familiar with Amelia Emerson, and that may indeed be the case for some other folks as well which might explain it (although I don't wish to infer my level of ignorance in any given subject is reflected throughout the entire forum, that most certainly isn't the case). Mind you that is one of the great things about this particular place. From time to time people or things come up that I haven't encountered for whatever reason, and often prove to be worth further investigation. By the sounds of it, this is one of the original Victorian lady adventurers. So no doubt the creators of characters such as Alexia Tarabotti and Adele Blanc Sec are almost certainly aware of her. Still now I've heard the name I shall endeavour to acquaint myself with the ladies works forthwith.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 07:39:31 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
PM
Deck Hand

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 11:07:55 pm »

It's a sad loss to literature. I've enjoyed all of Amelia Peabody-Emerson's adventures (though I never considered them steampunk, since they're basically straight Victorian/Edwardian historical fiction, with no science fiction, fantasy, or alternate history to them - the main exception being The Last Camel Died at Noon, with its lost world setting). She wrote a lot of other books too, including historical fiction unrelated to Peabody, such as Wings of the Falcon, set in Risorgimento-era Italy. I included a small homage in my YA steampunk novel Knights of the Sea: a "Peabody's Patented Parasol".
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:13:26 pm by PM » Logged

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
Paul Marlowe, FEEC
http://www.PaulMarlowe.com
Archivist of The Etheric Explorers Club
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: