The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 21, 2021, 01:04:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plasma Ball lamp  (Read 18507 times)
Professor Elliott
Officer
England England

« on: August 14, 2013, 01:00:05 pm »

Just completed this project using an old brass camp stove base, plumbing parts and various other bits and pieces..

The_Haberdash
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 01:11:30 pm »

Rats!
I'm nearly finished on a similar project, and now I'm rather afraid yours trumps mine in a most splendid fashion!
Great build, sir!  Grin
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 01:24:38 pm »

Excellent work.  What diameter is the bulb?

IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 05:51:48 pm »

At a guess I'd say 8".

That is a lovely bit of kit. I have a couple of plasma tubes somewhere - something else to add to the never ending "to do" list...

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
Professor Elliott
Officer
England England

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 05:53:10 pm »

Yes, the ball is an 8" (20.3cm) diameter type.
Dr von Zarkov
Zeppelin Captain

<Maddest Scientist>

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 06:07:20 pm »

Quite convincing and credible. Nice workmanship and great photography. A gear-free creation!

"The fact that I wear the protective coloration of sedate citizenship is a ruse of the fox — I learned it long ago."
– Loren Eiseley
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 07:16:55 pm »

My dear sir, what you have created is a Spirit Harvester, and my solicitors will be contacting you directly

The_Haberdash
Officer

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 07:51:11 pm »

Funny story, when putting my project together, I stumbled over the Spirit Harvester and elected not to use tubes in my design as a result, so as not to wind up cloning it - I'd had a similar idea in design (though not concept)!
It was something of a relief, honestly, I am terrible at bending pipe.

What really capped it was when in one of your designs you named it a "Utilitarian" design - which is exactly what I was aiming for in this one here!

Either way, still love all the work here
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:57:40 pm by The_Haberdash » Logged
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 08:53:56 pm »

Realized I never posted this piece.  It uses a lava lamp shaped plasma lamp.  Same thing only different.

WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 09:57:14 pm »

Funny story, when putting my project together, I stumbled over the Spirit Harvester and elected not to use tubes in my design as a result, so as not to wind up cloning it - I'd had a similar idea in design (though not concept)!
It was something of a relief, honestly, I am terrible at bending pipe.

What really capped it was when in one of your designs you named it a "Utilitarian" design - which is exactly what I was aiming for in this one here!

Either way, still love all the work here

Any plasma device using bells near the plasma (they siphon off the spirits) is a Spirit Harvester. I have made six, the world is eager for more.
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 10:05:54 pm »

I must say, Mr Rockwell, those look suspiciously like pre-filter housings on yours - nice re-purposing, and it stops the spirits clogging up the machine  Grin
Armored Rah
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 12:14:41 am »

Excellent work. The lamp looks fantastic. I hate to be the one to mention it, but putting metal very close or against the glass, can cause electrical shock, glass breakage due to stress and heat or even fire. If this item is for personal use, then as long as you know the risks, I'll try not to make a big deal out of it, but, For your own safety, please consider putting some type of insulation between the metal and the glass. If it's close enough to attract the plasma, it's an accident waiting to happen. However, if you intend to sell the item, the metal will need to be properly insulated from the glass and you need to clearly state to the buyer that this item is "VERY" dangerous and could cause serious injury or even death (due to fire). Putting metal close to or on the glass, can cause the electrical charge siphon to the outside of the sphere and then when grounded (normally by a person's touch), it will discharge causing a nasty shock or in a worst case scenario, it could cause a fire and possibly kill someone. The glass can also heat up due to the metal attracting the "plasma", thereby weakening the sphere and allowing it to shatter.  I'm not in anyway putting down your work. The lamp looks superb, I just want you to be aware of the dangers, I know I wouldn't want to sell one of these and later find out that the buyer's family died in a fire caused by my item. Some people may be able to live with that type of thing, but not me.
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 12:20:20 am »

Excellent work. The lamp looks fantastic. I hate to be the one to mention it, but putting metal very close or against the glass, can cause electrical shock, glass breakage due to stress and heat or even fire. If this item is for personal use, then as long as you know the risks, I'll try not to make a big deal out of it, but, For your own safety, please consider putting some type of insulation between the metal and the glass. If it's close enough to attract the plasma, it's an accident waiting to happen. However, if you intend to sell the item, the metal will need to be properly insulated from the glass and you need to clearly state to the buyer that this item is "VERY" dangerous and could cause serious injury or even death (due to fire). Putting metal close to or on the glass, can cause the electrical charge siphon to the outside of the sphere and then when grounded (normally by a person's touch), it will discharge causing a nasty shock or in a worst case scenario, it could cause a fire and possibly kill someone. The glass can also heat up due to the metal attracting the "plasma", thereby weakening the sphere and allowing it to shatter.  I'm not in anyway putting down your work. The lamp looks superb, I just want you to be aware of the dangers, I know I wouldn't want to sell one of these and later find out that the buyer's family died in a fire caused by my item. Some people may be able to live with that type of thing, but not me.

You are right, I'm always careful not to let the metal actually touch the glass. It can be a fraction of an inch away and attract plasma, yet not conduct electricity.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 01:37:02 am »

The lava lamp design has a plastic cap at the top.

Also I have found that systems have overload protection.
Professor Elliott
Officer
England England

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 11:29:46 am »

Mine too has 4mm thick leather pads on the two terminals for insulation.

I really like the other examples gentlemen. The lavalamp version is very novel.
Beast Lee
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 04:27:23 am »

I must say that's a very kOoL piece... 

Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: