The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 21, 2018, 08:54:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where have all the veterans gone?  (Read 3305 times)
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2013, 04:30:22 am »

The early years were interesting times, with a fair amount of controversy, 08 -> 10 were years of high interest with new members, new experiences, fashions, maker projects and books to read.  Can I argue (devils advocate here, please don't poison my tea) that everything that can be said, has been said, that one bustle looks like another, and almost everything has been hacked or modified with brass and cogs?  The vets that have left are, again leaders, they have realized this before we have and moved onto other interests? (Again please leave my tea alone)

Ok ok it was me all right, I confess! I joined in 2010, loads of people thought there goes the neighbourhood and started leaving in droves. What can I say? I'm a charming and charismatic guy. I think it's something to do with being a Fire Horse. If I'd been born in China 100 years earlier, chances are I'd have been drowned at birth we were considered that unlucky.

Seriously though, there are a great many factors to take into consideration. I mean look at the names of some of the folks that were here at the start. Jake Von Slatt, Datamancer, the Outland Armor crew. It's not really much of a surprise they aren't around any more is it? but it hardly means they're done with Steampunk. They've just kind of moved on for obvious reasons.

And I don't doubt it is the case, that we have lost a few hipsters to the horrifying notion that Steampunk has gone mainstream. Or for some folks it's gone off in directions of which they don't approve or simply don't relate to any more, and so indeed perhaps has the forum. Some no doubt simply got bored, or had disagreements or whatever. Others just got caught up by the massive inconvenience to online existence known as real life (hate it when that happens).

But it should also be noted, that even here in the UK where Steampunk is even now still a relatively unknown movement. There are people who are very active in the community, or are very keen attendees at events and what have you, that have never had profiles on here and quite possibly never even looked at the place.

A forum can fill a certain niche, and sometimes that's more needed than at other times. It's certainly needed by someone like me, because in my town there are approximately three of us that I know of, and we're not exactly in regular communication either. It's nice to keep in touch with the wider movement, and indeed to feel that there is one. If there was a thriving community waiting every time I stepped out of the door, I might not be around quite so much myself (except in my case I would, because I'm actually a socially inept hermit who's far more comfortable communicating through a keyboard than face to face with people). But if I was anything approaching a normal person I might well not be.

The other sad fact is, some folks don't seem to have much to say other than buy this crap off my Etsy store (or wherever). And as I recall BG did take at least some steps to curb the ridiculous level of self promotion that was frankly becoming a bit spamtastic. So I guess they've had to hawk their wares elsewhere. But you can still expect to hear from one or two of those leading veterans now and again, at least when they've put something up on eBay.

Peaks and troughs old bean, another summer, another Asylum and other events, another bunch of people for who'm the same old brass and bustles are actually shiny and new.

Lets see how long they stay interested.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:32:32 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2013, 08:39:50 am »

Just out of curiosity, and if it's not too much trouble, may I ask what the stats are for May?

You can pick any month and get the same pattern, over the years, of forum useage. Unfortunately, this isn't just a blip because of the hot summer.  June was simply the month I used in the Mod area as when I posted in July, June was the last complete month of stats we had.  If you think it's jumping now, you should have seen it when I joined, it was wonderful Smiley

The main thing and this is what I attribute to the Facebook Like Button Culture is that page views have always remained fairly constant, in fact last month saw the second highest page views ever, the highest being December 2009. People are looking, but not posting.  I often wonder if this is due to not having to log in/register to view the images on the board.
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2013, 12:01:43 pm »

I wonder whether making people register to view the boards at all is a good idea or not. In some cases it can pique the curiosity and encourage folks to register, but generally if I can't see what I'm letting myself in for, I don't bother.

I don't really know what to suggest I'm afraid - marketing has never been my strong suit, although I think the increased FB presence for the forums is a good idea; if you can't beat them, join them  Grin

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
Octavia Thistlewaite
Gunner

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 02:51:59 pm »

The main thing and this is what I attribute to the Facebook Like Button Culture is that page views have always remained fairly constant, in fact last month saw the second highest page views ever, the highest being December 2009. People are looking, but not posting.  I often wonder if this is due to not having to log in/register to view the images on the board.

I must admit, I'm guilty of lurking a lot on forums, but I'm not certain it's just to do with the whole Facebook Like culture or not having to log in/register. I think it's sometimes runs a little bit deeper than that really for me, as I've been doing the whole lurking thing for a lot longer than that. I used to be hugely active on various forums a few years back, but then I just... sort of... stopped.

Why I stopped posting and started lurking, I'm not certain, but maybe it was because sometimes it seemed like there wasn't a huge amount I could add to a thread when it had already been said before.

It could also have been the fact that many forums brought in policies which discouraged creating new threads addressing a topic which had already been created way-back in the forum's prehistory (I can see the sense in keeping all posts on a particular topic in one place, but it *does* discourage the new posts which make a forum look more alive to a newbie). I'm not sure how much this happens on Brass Goggles, but I know that it certainly was something that made me think twice about putting up questions on other boards, and I guess that the principle then translated across to new boards I joined.

As I've said, my above points aren't *just* an issue on BG, they're widespread with forums in general, but whichever way you look at it, once people have gotten into the habit of lurking, it's hard to bring them back out of the woodwork. I don't have all the answers for how to do that, but if we're getting a lot of pageviews then the number of people interested is clearly not an issue. (currently there are something like 70 guests and 17 logged in users.)

I think maybe I might have veered more in the direction of the discussion going on in the engine room (see! I'm reading it all Tongue) but I think to a certain extent some of this also applies to veterans who have gone on holiday to the real world and then return to find themselves facing a different beast to the one they left!

Also, I agree with IGetPwnedOften in that if I had to register to just view the boards, I wouldn't have bothered either.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2013, 11:08:45 pm »

I just posted on the "A Call to Arms" thread at the Engine Room.  I give a fairly heavy rant, but perhaps one that should be read aloud.  I'm not sure people are following the developments in that thread.

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,40803.msg863924.html#msg863924

With your permission, I reprint my rant here.  So as to reach a maximum audience:

* ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *

Maybe its just me but I kinda thought we were trying to get more people to come (back) to the forum?

Ie all external sites, blogs, pages etc to act as signposts pointing here.

Huh

That was my impression as well.. I'd prefer the links on FB to be little more than teaser shots and short descriptions, with a big link back to the forum or the blog. If peple flock to the FB site so they don't have to come here, we're mssing the mark..

Frankly, I'm perplexed by your remarks. Please read my posts slowly again. You seem to be missing the fact that what will appear both in FB and Rebelmouse are only short blurbs of information and pictures directly linking into The Steampunk Forum threads!!!  I want to funnel people directly into the forum!  

Perhaps I have not made myself clear. The idea is STILL to pull people into The Steampunk Forum.  But we are not doing *anything* to externalise our presence outside.

A Brassgoggles Portal.  Not a Blog. I guess is what I aim for.

A "Blog Post" whether it be in BG, Rebelmouse or Facebook, need not be anything more than a single short paragraph with an image attached, and with the text and image linked to actual Brassgoggles thread, where the topic is expounded  (you are "reeling the reader" into the forum).  Even in real blogs like blogspot or Livejournal, each blog "entry" is nothing more than a link to another stand-alone page where the long treatise is presented (e.g. Steampunk Fashion livejournal page -assuming it still exists).

I'm not looking for a long treatise to be used as a post in the blog.  Honestly folks, how many of you actually spend any meaningful time reading the front page blog? I don't.  Why would I? How much attention do you think the public pays to the blog page (s)??  Answer: next to none.  Instead use the blog posts to pull people directly into the forum threads in with nice pictures. music and video.  Salemanship, ladies and gentlemen, salesmanship.

Like others have stated before, you can only find The Steampunk Forum by sheer serendipity after someone has arrived to the Brassgoggles Blog.  And even then how are newbies supposed to know what the hell the Brassgoggles Blog is?  Answer: Word of Mouth and voluntary links like in Von Slatt's Page, Other fora's pages, my web page, etc.  Eventually those links become overlooked and "tired."

Honestly, we are terrible at advertising ourselves.  The French Steampunk Forum is constantly tweeting.  All the other fora have Facebook pages.  The Tokyo Steampunk Society tweets and posts videos on Facebook that look like they were directed by Quentin Tarantino.  What are we doing to promote our forum?  If you pay attention to what Steampunks in FB are saying it's all very clear:  "I am there to contact other people;"  meaning that if they wish to contact other Steampunks, Facebook is better and Brassgoggles is no longer the place to do it.

Shocked I was to find that the Steampunk Mexico Forum has been going on in Facebook while I saw their forum practically deserted this year.  I thought it was all over.  No sir.  Not a chance.  The exact opposite.  I'm supposed to be a cofounder and the "USA's ambassador to Mexico" for God's sake! Shame on me.

This migration is meaningful, and I don't think we should ignore it.  Do I like Facebook?  Heck, no!  It's a horrid format.  But somehow the greater Steampunk community has taken practical use of it.  Why do we resist progress?

Then we shouldn't complain that the public at large is losing interest in Brassgoggles.  We are becoming, hence, a private club, a speak-easy, with only the most agreeable Steampunks meeting, like old friends in a pub. Should we develop a "secret handshake" as well?  Not that I will stop coming, mind you.  I will be here too.  I will come back for a nice pint of Guiness and talk to old friends. But in the mean time you can also find me at the Argentinean Steampunk Society, Steampunk Mexico, The Golden Gears, and hopefully the Tokyo Steampunk society's Facebook pages.

Cheers,
J. Wilhelm
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:15:35 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2013, 01:23:49 am »

We are becoming, hence, a private club, a speak-easy, with only the most agreeable Steampunks meeting, like old friends in a pub. Should we develop a "secret handshake" as well?

All valid points, but is this one in particular not something that simply comes with the territory of long established forums? I also think this might be one of the things that prompted the exit of some of the veteran members. Essentially when their particular peer group began to leave (for whatever reasons) I think they lost their speakeasy and were less inclined to hang around.

The problem is it is inevitably going against us in some ways. This is another thing about Facebook, it doesn't really present that kind of (what is to some people at least) daunting idea of having to deal with a group of veterans that often know each other, but don't know you if you see what I mean. There aren't any ranks as such. Sure if you click on the members list of any given group, it'll tell you who's been there for over a year or less, but that's about it. It's not something that's in your face like a ranking system. So it's a lot easier for people to join groups, and feel comfortable about contributing and generally chit chatting straight away. They're Facebook members, that's all they need to be to do that.

Now I'm not suggesting we get rid of the ranking system, indeed many forums have one, it is a useful indicator of time spent contributing, and why shouldn't folks receive acknowledgement for that?. But, the fact is I'm afraid, we're not always the most friendly and welcoming of groups to new comers. Now there are reasons for that, they are often valid ones and I'm as guilty as anybody of being lees than splendid if I don't consider the questions are motivated by the "right" reasons. But it does occur to me when new folks come asking questions, be they in the form of questionnaires or merely inquiries. It's all very well to turn around and say, the answers are on the forum, and interact with the community before asking this or that. But it doesn't come over as terribly welcoming, and has more than once caused people to leave with the attitude that this place is and I quote "just another troll hole". As I say, sometimes the reasons for behaving as such may indeed be valid. And it's not like I'm suggesting we invite every spambot to pull up a chair and take tea.

Still this is something to perhaps take on board, if we genuinely are trying to promote a reputation as an open and friendly forum.

Also there are many many threads, that have sunk to the bottom because they haven't been posted in for years. The topics may be old hat to some of us, it doesn't mean they're not relevant to somebody else, particularly somebody new. But there's even an etiquette about resurrecting those. The search engine is nigh on useless. This is a big place, with a hell of a lot of information archived in it, and virtually nothing to assist one with navigating or sifting through it, particularly if you're looking for something specific.

What else can new folks really do but ask us?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 01:44:36 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2013, 03:50:53 am »

What else can new folks really do but ask us?

And all too often the response is "Not that again"

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2013, 03:56:01 am »

That is precisely why I think we need to diversify.  At some point you have to choose how private Brassgoggles will be.  On one hand you enjoy your private "pub" to go relax, and on the other hand you want to invite new people.

The way I look at it, Brassgoggles needs different "arms."  One arm to capture new recruits. One arm to tend to the old guard principles, one arm to promote the DIY culture, another arm to advertise to the mundane world and another one to serve as a diplomatic mission across cultures and languages.

I will gladly take the latter functions (whatever international diplomatic duties there are) as I already perform those on a regular basis.  But I doubt that tweeting here and there and having a Facebook page is far too much of a demand on ourselves, particularly if there are one or two chatty Steampunks among us, who would enjoy writing bite-size posts on Facebook related to EXISTING posts in threads that we already have on Brassgoggles.

We would never run out of material.  Some of our old threads are rather phenomenal and have incredible pictures videos and sound, which is great advertising in itself, and in the "A Call to Arms" thread I propose presenting an embedded iFrame format in the Brassgoggles' front page  (automatically updated from Facebook via Rebelmouse) --  in lieu of a proper Blog.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 04:02:27 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
T.Taylor the Third
Zeppelin Admiral

A Crazy man

thethirdtea
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2013, 03:48:09 pm »

i use too contribute alot more but that was when i lived with my parents and had time and money to burn..these days i just dont have the time i use to spend  contributing to things like steam London...it saddens me

-“I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge.”
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2013, 04:49:02 pm »

I must say that marketing has never been my strong suit, but I'm happy to help out any way I can. If there's something I can do to assist, please let me know.
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2013, 05:53:23 pm »

I never thought the format of FB lends itself well for discussion,, seems to me you'd just get a page with an unorganized mess of random posts..I prefer a proper forum, because everything has its place. I can go directly to the cool builds in Tactile for instance, while skipping entirely over some other subforums that hold little interest to me.

What he said, I've been guilty of not coming here but this statemrnt was so obviously true; on FB everything lost in a quagmire quite quickly

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2013, 06:42:41 pm »

I never thought the format of FB lends itself well for discussion,, seems to me you'd just get a page with an unorganized mess of random posts..I prefer a proper forum, because everything has its place. I can go directly to the cool builds in Tactile for instance, while skipping entirely over some other subforums that hold little interest to me.

What he said, I've been guilty of not coming here but this statemrnt was so obviously true; on FB everything lost in a quagmire quite quickly

The reorganisation feature and small post (frame) format makes FB unsuitable as a substitute for a proper forum like like this one.  But as long as it's just used to pull people into BG, I see no harm in having a nice set of rotating pictures each with a paragraph attached - the newest material, representative of the latest Brasggoggles posts, which will always be on top anyway. It can't possibly be any worse that our very ineffective blog we have right now (unless you guys think our blog is outstanding as a way to attract people into the forum, in which case, forget about it).  We did not open the FB page to actually have conversations and long threads.. That is not the purpose.

BTW for anyone remotely interested, Major Willoughby Chase did us the favour of opening this page:

https://www.facebook.com/BrassGoggles
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 06:53:14 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2013, 01:28:02 pm »

I've been here since March of 2007 and unfortunately I hang out mainly in the textual section lurking around. I just haven't had that much I've felt worth saying. I mean there's Neil DeGrassi Tyson's Cosmos coming up next year, some buildy stuff going on at home (this past year has been taken up by a LOT of renovations) but mostly I've been lurking.

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
Professor Oilcan
Zeppelin Captain

Steam in the blood, birthday 10th March,

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2013, 03:36:10 pm »

I've returned just today, I have been and still am suffering from a serious illness and can't devote much time to my steampunk activities, I have how ever kept in contact with many of my SP friends and hopefully will be fully active again from next year. I've missed you all Prof...

Professor G O Pivot Oilcan
Teacher of mad Steam related mayhem, mentor to a few mad scientists and owner of the Imperial Steam Powered Airship and Transportation Company.
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2013, 01:47:30 am »

As for me, I found myself more and more involved with politics several years ago, and thus my participation here suffered. Following on that, my wife became seriously ill, and at that point I pretty much just dropped out. After her passing, nearly two years ago, I didn't much feel like doing fun stuff, and mainly confined my activities to politics. I became increasingly involved with that, and largely via The Book of The Faces. This has been an enormous drain on my time and energy.

A couple of other inactive BGers are also on The Book, not doing anything steamworthy there AFAIK, but I am slightly in touch with them. I know at least one other there has been struggling with spousal health issues. I participate somewhat in The Cult of the Tweeting Bird, and can report that Jake Von Slatt is alive and well thereon.

In short, the past three and a half years have been a living nightmare (or series thereof), and I am just now perhaps making a tentative effort to get past that. Or at least to somehow come to terms with it. And to organize myself and surroundings. And figure out some way to supplement my meagre means. I have observed a considerable upsurge in steamy cultural manifestations of late. I may be able to revive my sundry crafty skills, sadly neglected, and start producing worthy artifacts for eventual trade purposes.

Who knows?

I'll essay to maintain some presence here in any case.

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
rod-on
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2013, 05:57:00 am »

Welcome back Professors, I'm sorry for your loss, and your illness but I hope to read some of your essays and view some of your creations.  I'm sure your opinions will be welcome here again.
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2013, 04:02:06 am »

I'm on the veterans list.  That's flattering, honestly. Smiley

I go through long bouts of non-presence on BG.

Usually because, although BG IS self-described as the 'lighter side of Steampunk', it gets TOO light TOO often.  I miss the days when debates would get so fiery that the threads would get deleted, even if it meant that really enlightening discussions were lost to the ether.
I'm not alone amongst the 'vets' in this sentiment.  I can't speak for anyone, but Uncle Thistlewaite, whose presence I miss dearly, expressed a sentiment sorta similar at one point.

I suppose any of us as individuals could take some personal responsibility for it...I could post topics like anyone else.  But I don't wanna go 'looking for fights' just so they're there.  That's called trolling, no?

That's my important point.

Secondarily, and as has been intimated above, Steampunk has evolved and continues to do so, and not necessarily in the way that the 'old-timers' were hoping.  At this point, I admit, I divorce myself from or embrace the 'Steampunk' label depending on situational factors.  I believe Steampunk has become widespread enough to have pseudo-fragmented based on specific interest groups and regional differences.  A great many of the folks from this Forum with whom I had kindred spiritship due to common understandings of what Steampunk is and what it SHOULD be have left...I imagine that, like me, they too often found themselves FEELING like they were in a marginalized minority and less than free-to-speak-their-minds.

And lastly, I also know we've lost a couple veterans because BG folk sometimes meet in person and get naked together, drama explodes, and they both dip out cuz the place seems hostile as a result of their own doings.  Not naming names, but it happens.  >shrugs<

Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2013, 06:20:12 am »

I'm on the veterans list.  That's flattering, honestly. Smiley

Usually because, although BG IS self-described as the 'lighter side of Steampunk', it gets TOO light TOO often.  I miss the days when debates would get so fiery that the threads would get deleted, even if it meant that really enlightening discussions were lost to the ether.
I'm not alone amongst the 'vets' in this sentiment.  I can't speak for anyone, but Uncle Thistlewaite, whose presence I miss dearly, expressed a sentiment sorta similar at one point.

I suppose any of us as individuals could take some personal responsibility for it...I could post topics like anyone else.  But I don't wanna go 'looking for fights' just so they're there.  That's called trolling, no?

Secondarily, and as has been intimated above, Steampunk has evolved and continues to do so, and not necessarily in the way that the 'old-timers' were hoping.  At this point, I admit, I divorce myself from or embrace the 'Steampunk' label depending on situational factors.  I believe Steampunk has become widespread enough to have pseudo-fragmented based on specific interest groups and regional differences.  A great many of the folks from this Forum with whom I had kindred spiritship due to common understandings of what Steampunk is and what it SHOULD be have left...I imagine that, like me, they too often found themselves FEELING like they were in a marginalized minority and less than free-to-speak-their-minds.

And lastly, I also know we've lost a couple veterans because BG folk sometimes meet in person and get naked together, drama explodes, and they both dip out cuz the place seems hostile as a result of their own doings.  Not naming names, but it happens.  >shrugs<

There is also the theory on the migration of Steampunks from forum venues to Facebook.  Particularly true for non-English speaking fora.  A phenomenon I recently corroborated myself.

NAKED?!?  Naked Steampunks, where? Do we have a  "naturist," "Rated R" or " Rated X" segment I'm unaware of?  <.<   >.>   Grin   Roll Eyes
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2013, 12:34:11 pm »

Usually because, although BG IS self-described as the 'lighter side of Steampunk', it gets TOO light TOO often.  I miss the days when debates would get so fiery that the threads would get deleted, even if it meant that really enlightening discussions were lost to the ether.
I'm not alone amongst the 'vets' in this sentiment.  I can't speak for anyone, but Uncle Thistlewaite, whose presence I miss dearly, expressed a sentiment sorta similar at one point.

I suppose any of us as individuals could take some personal responsibility for it...I could post topics like anyone else.  But I don't wanna go 'looking for fights' just so they're there.  That's called trolling, no?

Secondarily, and as has been intimated above, Steampunk has evolved and continues to do so, and not necessarily in the way that the 'old-timers' were hoping.  At this point, I admit, I divorce myself from or embrace the 'Steampunk' label depending on situational factors.  I believe Steampunk has become widespread enough to have pseudo-fragmented based on specific interest groups and regional differences.  A great many of the folks from this Forum with whom I had kindred spiritship due to common understandings of what Steampunk is and what it SHOULD be have left...I imagine that, like me, they too often found themselves FEELING like they were in a marginalized minority and less than free-to-speak-their-minds.

And lastly, I also know we've lost a couple veterans because BG folk sometimes meet in person and get naked together, drama explodes, and they both dip out cuz the place seems hostile as a result of their own doings.  Not naming names, but it happens.  >shrugs<

There is also the theory on the migration of Steampunks from forum venues to Facebook.  Particularly true for non-English speaking fora.  A phenomenon I recently corroborated myself.

NAKED?!?  Naked Steampunks, where? Do we have a  "naturist," "Rated R" or " Rated X" segment I'm unaware of?  <.<   >.>   Grin   Roll Eyes

I hesitate to imagine what the "stick a gear on it" folks would do within that sub-group.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2013, 05:09:36 pm »

NAKED?!?  Naked Steampunks, where? Do we have a  "naturist," "Rated R" or " Rated X" segment I'm unaware of?  <.<   >.>   Grin   Roll Eyes

I hesitate to imagine what the "stick a gear on it" folks would do within that sub-group.

*Ahem*

WARNING:  NSFW (depending on how much of a curmudgeon you are)
http://www.etsy.com/listing/68662449/gear-pasties
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2013, 05:13:44 pm »

They look more like cocktail umbrellas than cogs to me. Smiley

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2013, 05:38:50 pm »

Well after a couple of cocktails, I'm sure I agree.  Maybe that is what happened Grin
BrethrenAndBetrayer
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2013, 09:05:40 pm »

It is a bit of a shame to see that so many well-known names have disappeared. I'll miss them. I myself come and go at odd intervals, and usually when I'm around I just tend to lurk or post a couple of generally unhelpful comments.
The Book of Faces page seems like a good idea, I've 'liked' it, naturally.

-Brethren

You know its gonna be a good session when the tech priest rides into battle on the back of a gun-servitor.

There is an extra gear in The Great Machine of the cosmos tonight.
In memory of Richard 'Datamancer' Nagy - 2013
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2013, 09:12:39 pm »

I don't Cheesy

... Ahem..... carry on.
~Longeye~

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
rod-on
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2013, 04:55:41 am »

VG, it is good to read your comments again, I like my SP with a little spice now and then.  I read quite a few of your older posts last night and support a number of  your comments.  I'm glad you have returned, adnd hope you keep your hand in now and again.

As for facebook, I understand why some would like it ... but I don't have any much time for it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: