The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 04:33:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bags for men  (Read 4075 times)
OsirisFrame
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

« on: July 15, 2013, 11:17:22 am »

I know there has been some discussion on this topic in the past, but I have a problem.

I'm looking for a bag to carry my bits and bobs when I attend steampunk gatherings. At the moment I'm using a little canvas messenger bag, which isn't really in keeping with my costume as it has lots of zips etc...

A lot of the ones I come across seem to be aimed at the ladies. So I'm looking for a manly bag!  Smiley

I won't even go into the Alchemy Empire offerings...

I wondered if anyone has any recommendations.

Stare into the aether - what do you see?
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Lady Adventurer, Chronicler

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 11:33:52 am »

Depending on your budget, of course...

I'd suggest looking in the luggage section of a department store. Samsonite do some excellent man-bags in leather (and manmade materials) which can easily be steampunked. There are other makes and once you know the manufacturers, you can search for a second-hand (ready distressed) one.

Alternately, look at bags intended for cameras or other gadgets, cases for binoculars, bowls carriers, etc. Charity shops often have one or two if you ask nicely and have time to rummage.

Hope this helps - and happy hunting.

"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain

mgfarley
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 12:23:32 pm »

Have you considered a belt pouch instead of a bag?

A few months ago I bought a leather and waxed canvas toiletry bag from a charity shop for £10. It's got loads of compartments for all my essentials (phone, wallet, disintegrator ray, air-kraken repellent, etc).

I've added a couple of leather straps with detachable clips to allow me to attach it to my belt. The main benefits over a bag are that it doesn't get in the way of my shoulder holster, I can keep my hands free and it's attached to me so I'm less likely to accidentally lose it.

Alternatively, for Asylum this year my wife intends to borrow her dad's binoculars case. It's made of well-aged brown leather and is more than large enough to carry all her essentials. I'm sure you could find something similar in charity or junk shops or on ebay.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 12:28:00 pm by Michael Farley » Logged

Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 12:36:16 pm »

Well although I'd prefer to use belt hangers for most of my stuff I can't really do something like that with my camera, although I am looking at hangers/pouches for my lenses and spare film (it's a big 35mm SLR just for reasons of clarity) I found a cheap canvas satchel (of the sort that used to be carried by Army Medics) quite useful for carrying it around in.

Although if you're going for a less military style, check out vintage shops/department stores for leather breifcases/satchels as they're getting to be (urg) 'fashionable' again (double urg).

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 01:27:57 pm »

So far, my trick has been jut replacing the narrow ladies style strap, with a broader, 1"-2" strap. That usually seems enough to alter the aesthetic of the bags I can find/afford. Embellishment of the strap with bullet loops, pouches and whatnot often helps further.
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 02:31:00 pm »

So far, my trick has been jut replacing the narrow ladies style strap, with a broader, 1"-2" strap. That usually seems enough to alter the aesthetic of the bags I can find/afford. Embellishment of the strap with bullet loops, pouches and whatnot often helps further.

That's exactly my plan too. I've just bought a leather bag from the ebay, although this one already has a 2" strap which is handy. I'm going to add various bits to the strap, but in such a way that either I or the missus can wear it. To be fair, she normally carries the bag, but there have been occasions (like yesterday for example) where just me and my boy ventured out unchaperoned and while I consider myself fairly immune to any idea of fashion, even I blench slightly at the thought of wandering about with a pink 'Hello Kitty' bag over my shoulder for prolonged periods.

As already mentioned, there are many nice looking bags/satchels in various styles available, although as Madasasteamfish pointed out, they are indeed becoming popular with the "boho" crowd (boho is slang for Bohemian, which from what I gather is someone so hipster, even other hipsters have disowned them). It's amazing how much 'vintage' stuff on ebay is now tagged, quite literally, **festival**.

It's enough to make one weep...

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler
United States United States

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 03:34:21 pm »

I think looking for something that echoes military styling is a good way to go with bags for men.  My boyfriend does reinacting and is getting in to steampunk and his bag of choice is a green canvas Swiss surplus thing with pockets that can hold quite a bit.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 04:39:59 pm »

I highly recommend this bag: http://www.toddscostumes.com/costumes/movie-costumes-indiana-jones-costume/indiana-jones-bags-belts-holsters-ect/indiana-jones-satchel-bag/

Bene using it as my daily carry bag for over a year now. Pretty sure it would last another 200 or so more.. Grin
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 06:16:17 pm »

I found that particular quest very hard indeed. I also wanted something period looking, without zips that I didn't need a mortgage extension to afford.

So of course Ebay seemed a logical port of call. And I finally ended up with a buckle and strap leather hold all, quite similar to this (sorry don't actually have a pic of mine at the moment).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This particular one has been on ebay for ages for £130, mine's actually bigger with two separate front pouches as opposed to one long one, and cost just over £70 with p&p. It needed a bit of TLC, but luckily I'm quite familiar on how to work with leather. So after soaking, re shaping, polishing and sewing it's fully restored to it's former glory and probably worth twice what I paid for it.

But that's the problem, these things are rare and bloody expensive. The other problem of course, is although they do look quite period in an army utility sort of way, they have no zips. I'm actually thinking of cheating and making a zip up cotton liner for it, just to ensure nothing falls out.

C19th style Gladstone bags also come up occasionally, but again, be prepared to pay large.  Undecided
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 06:54:22 pm by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Heckler
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 08:25:04 am »

C19th style Gladstone bags also come up occasionally, but again, be prepared to pay large.  Undecided

A little while ago a photographer sold off about ten or twelve of these in one go, so the prices were lower and I managed to bag one (sorry).

A question though, along the line where the top two halves angle inwards the leather is looking stressed, is there a leather treatment I can put on it to nourish the leather to stop it potentially cracking?

We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The Call of Cthulhu"
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 01:31:58 pm »

There are indeed several. If you just wish to re hydrate the leather, which is always a good idea if you want it to last, personally I'm still fond of good 'ol Dubbin.

It's just a great cheap tried and tested product. There is other posher stuff available if major supple-ification (I think I just made that up) is required.

IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 01:36:13 pm »

Fortunately for me, my missus' side of the family has a long history of equine ownership, so we have tons of leather care products kicking about.

I recently bought a small leather 'lunch box' from ebay and when it arrived it was very stiff and in danger of cracking. The missus had at it with some saddle dressing oil and that sorted it right out.
Heckler
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 01:55:21 pm »

There are indeed several. If you just wish to re hydrate the leather, which is always a good idea if you want it to last, personally I'm still fond of good 'ol Dubbin.

It's just a great cheap tried and tested product. There is other posher stuff available if major supple-ification (I think I just made that up) is required.

Thankyou very much indeed, I ended up going for the posh stuff as I've a collar box that needs some work as well.
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 10:46:33 pm »

SHAMELESS PLUG (not my store, it a friend of mine)

https://www.facebook.com/TheThornlessRose

My mate does a LOT of custom leatherwork (mainly LARP kit) - but I'm sure that if you asked nicely (and mention my name), she might be able to make up something unique for you!

Tread softly and carry a GBFO stick!
abigailbeatrix
Gunner

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 06:31:27 pm »

Over in the states, we have these wonderful military surplus stores. They've gotten a bit popular over the last couple years, but you can still find vintage leather ammo pouches (~1920-1945) Most of them are belt-mounted, but sometimes you can find larger longer ones on shoulder straps that I assume are meant for higher caliber rifles and hand cannon ammo.

Also! Don't discount women's purses. Androgyny was a big thing in the 80's and you can find several purses that boast very male features. I found a good friend of mine a Prada bag at a second hand shop (for $20 no less!) that looked similar to a map case. He altered the strap, and now it's a large belt purse which is perfect as his costume takes up an entire arm.

Speaking of mapcases- there are a large selection of vintage map cases online. They're a bit pricey, but not nearly as much as a glastone.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 11:44:20 am »

I have a rather nice brown 'distressed leather' messenger shoulder bag that I picked up in the men's section of River Island of all places. It has magnetic brass flap fastenings. I use it mainly for work. However everytime I vist my mother (who's in a care home with dementia) straight from work and I have my bag with me she never fails to say "That's a really nice bag, son and it's not feminine at all"   Roll Eyes

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Lachlan_MacAuslander
Snr. Officer

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 05:36:48 pm »

Over on this side of the pond, Duluth Trading Company stocks a number of lovely leather/canvas bags that occasionally go on sale. So far, however, I haven't had the cash to indulge even at sale prices...

eBags is another source that I check frequently for canvas or leather bags - they carry numerous brand names, luggage, handbags, Man-Bags, military surplus, etc. Most are modern, but many could be altered.

And technically, zips were invented back in the late 1800's. As were time machines.  Grin
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 06:53:22 pm »

And technically, zips were invented back in the late 1800's. As were time machines.  Grin

Yes they were, sadly nobody really used them until quite a bit later. As I say I'm not a Steampunk stitch counter, (I'm not even sure how such a thing is possible as it's not actually real), but there are certain details I do get hung about personally in that strange bee in a bonnet kind of a way.

I really don't mind what anyone else does, but for me zips are something I tend to eschew . I'll happily put up with rubber soled shoes, the occasional bit of polyester or plastic and a million other things. But to my mind zips, particularly on things like boots, bags, jackets and what have you just seem a bit too modern. Whereas buckles and straps just give more of a steamy vibe, even though of course they date way before the C19th and are actually bloody ancient.

Oh well *shrugs* go figure, but that's just my strange mind at work and I certainly don't expect anyone else to be as weird as me.

I think this is a stylish design, although perhaps a bit pricey but it is hand made.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321171170530?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Mrs.EP
Gunner
Italy Italy

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 03:04:51 pm »

I am particularly fond of a my army map bag. It's made of brown faux leather, holds a lot of stuff but it's compact, it doesn't look too military. No zippers at all! And I let the husband borrow it on occasion.
I got mine on Etsy and even if the seller I bought it from is not active anymore, there are Etsy ]quite a few[/url] available for reasonable prices (around 25/30 €).
The shape of mine is similar to this one, with two sections + transparent one (i guess for maps) and space for pencils and eraser, and the same type of closure, but I see variations exist.
Maj. R Pump (Retd.)
Officer

Formerly of Her Majesty's Arctic Camel Corps

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 04:46:02 pm »

Look at American Civil War stuff (there are plenty of Sutlers on both sides of the Atlantic now), Tarred/Rubberised/Oil Painted Knapsacks and Haversacks a plenty and all are very useful bags. Also look at Canvas breadbags utilised by various forces during WW1 and WW2.

The cavalry dismount, the guards debus, us cameleers disrobe, regularly!
SpeedyFrenchy
Snr. Officer

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 11:23:39 am »

I've so far been unable to find a bag that meets my requirements (size, shape, cost), and so I'm planning on making my own in the next couple of months. That way I get a bag that will fit my laptop and everything else I need for daily use, but can still carry steamy items as part of a costume.

It's not where you're from, it's wear your hat.

- Mr B
Heckler
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 12:05:37 pm »

R.e. the Indy bag, I managed to get a 1942 gas mask bag off the t'interweb and added a leather strap to it.  My missus saw it and liked it so much that I gave it to her (ooer!).

I have now found another one, how sweet we'll look with matching MKVIII 1942 gas mask bags.
D.M. Atlas
Gunner

DaveAtlas
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 07:36:39 am »

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Front-Pocket-Backpack?sc=8&category=301407

this is definitely on my list of things to get, I have a few smaller things from this company and I NEED one of their bags or backpacks. 

- D.M. Atlas
Atlas Fishard
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 03:42:37 pm »

Has anyone tried to integrate a bag system into a custom homemade body harness, maybe?

Just curious if anyone ever thought of that.

Edit:
Currently, I wear a leg harness w/ small pockets (everyday) that contains my pocket notebook and 2x lighters and cigarettes.

Somewhere in the close future, (After I have obtained a mannequin that's my size, I'm going to make a body harness that can carry bags/pockets attched)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 03:49:43 pm by Atlas Fishard » Logged

abigailbeatrix
Gunner

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 08:19:26 pm »

Has anyone tried to integrate a bag system into a custom homemade body harness, maybe?

Just curious if anyone ever thought of that.

Edit:
Currently, I wear a leg harness w/ small pockets (everyday) that contains my pocket notebook and 2x lighters and cigarettes.

Somewhere in the close future, (After I have obtained a mannequin that's my size, I'm going to make a body harness that can carry bags/pockets attched)

Actually, I've thought about doing just this for my next project! Harnesses are pretty easy to do without a mannequin, you'll just need a tailor's tape and for the first time, a good friend. Regular straps are easy, but cross straps are what always get me when measuring myself. I was thinking about putting a series of d-rings onto the harness and having a variety of bags with clasps so I can move them around to suit what I'm carying that day. I'd love to see how your's turns out. I'm basing mine off of this, but with more removable options.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/158374611/white-leather-holster-super-pouch-combo
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: