The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 21, 2021, 03:51:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Site e-mail difficulties  (Read 1269 times)
proteus
Devourer of Ugly Baked Goods
Administrator
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Gravatar

brasstech
« on: June 19, 2013, 06:12:07 pm »

Apparently many email providers have tightened up their rules lately, causing them to reject emails from Brass Goggles (because we receive email at Google, but send it from our server directly). This has caused some difficulty with email notifications for registration, etc.

I have made some changes that should dramatically improve this situation, and will be monitoring over the next few days to ensure that things go more smoothly.

I've learned a few things:
  • Some past spammers who had trouble registering may get through
  • AOL email accounts really, really suck. AOL wants a level of assurance that isn't really feasible at our scale; since they're the only one like this (so far)... well, AOL users are kind of out of luck. I've made note of this on the registration page.
  • Google's response to a user getting a lot of email is to tell the sending server to retry. We give up pretty early due to constraints on our sending queue, so gmail addresses may occasionally miss mails from us if you get a lot of email.
  • We've been blocking a *lot* of spam automatically.  Something like several hundred registrations a day.

Any questions? Post 'em here and I'll do my best to answer them.

--
"Politics and religion are just like software and hardware. They all suck, the documentation is provably incorrect, and all the vendors tell lies." — Andrew Dalgleish

How To Financially Support Brass Goggles — now with a subscription option!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: