The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 21, 2019, 01:57:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (the movie)  (Read 7392 times)
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2010, 08:20:06 pm »

I don't hate the film, nor do I think it would have to be a recreation of the graphic novel to be a success...

However, I think there were a number of missed opprotunities and that the filmmakers relied heavily on name recognition and weak literary/period "jokes" but didn't give them recognized names much interesting to do.

I think the concept would work better as an ongoing show with time for a single story arc and occasional tangents off into the individuals personal tales.

Along similar lines, I'd like to suggest Arcanum by Thomas Wheeler.
Essentially, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Harry Houdini, Marie Laveau and H.P. Lovecraft are a team of occult investigators.

As a book, it is not particularly well-written.  It reads rather like the outline for a film with enough stuffing to make become a novel.
It is, at least in my opinion, a particularly fascinating story that would benefit from a good director and cast.

- Maximilian
Riezz
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2010, 10:15:41 pm »

well, i liked the film, because the film.. is just entertaining when its cold outside  Tongue
but for the Nautilus..  to big, to white, to... to much

but i really prefer the Disney`s 20.000 Leagues Under the Sea, Nautilus

i think a steampunked submarine in optima forma
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3224/3045938337_67ba7e71d4.jpg
http://naturecoast.com/hobby/images/nautilus%20008.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2497/4201499548_66aedf956d_b.jpg

P.S.   how the h** can i create those SPOILER rollovers for the images?

Tajhan
Snr. Officer
England England

Gentleman Anachronism

AnachronismInc
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2010, 08:55:51 pm »

When I first saw the film I have to say I liked it and I went out and got the comics. Now every time I force myself to watch it ("it wasn't that bad right?") I hate it all the more.

They took the basic idea and stripped it bare, destroying the characters in the process. They dumbed down alot of the literary references and altered the characters completely. You got a gang of plastic superheroes rather that some weary and incrediblt flawed "heros".

As for the plot I don't understand why they changed it so much? surely the finale of the first volume of the comic would be an even more incredible final battle on the screen.

I think it came to early, now people are starting to see comics as legitimate franchises beyond those aimed at kids. I would so have loved to have seen the second volume properly adapted but after the mess they made of the first I hope not.

Then again personally I think they should respect Alan Moore's wishes not to adapt his comics, he's disowned them all and even Watchmen which though an excellent movie it did still leave me slightly annoyed at the changes. Though I do like V for Vendetta so its not purely because I'm a fanatical purist.

Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2010, 10:12:58 pm »

Then again personally I think they should respect Alan Moore's wishes not to adapt his comics,
Ironic, since so many of Alan Moore's greatest (or, at least, most famous) works are his own adaptations/interpretations of the work of others.

He can remake Alan Quartermaine into a drug addict, but chafes when Quartermaine is altered back.

Not that I don't love Moore's work.  I do.
I just find it ironic.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2015, 11:17:00 am »

Variety reports that 20th Century Fox intends to remake the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I feel that could actually be a good thing, the story has potential for more.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2015, 12:26:38 pm »

That's all good and fine, but I find it rather dumb and lazy to remake a movie that's so recent.
Redo Chitty Chitty or The Great Race or something.

Or how about this: think up a new concept for a movie (or a song).

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2015, 12:48:41 pm »

Those movies were fine though. This movie on the other hand could use a second chance.
gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2015, 04:27:00 pm »

The film is bad because it fails to live up to our expectations. Had the comic never existed, to compare the movie to, then I think that the film would be accepted as a cheesy and imperfect adventure movie.
   What I would like, at some time in the future, is for the film to be remade and done well. But I think that is nothing but a pipe dream.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2015, 04:49:13 pm »

Love the books. All 9 of them.

But I also enjoyed the movie.

And I'll look forward to a remake as well.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2015, 06:11:58 pm »

Variety reports that 20th Century Fox intends to remake the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I feel that could actually be a good thing, the story has potential for more.
With the sudden boom in interest in this "Steampunk thing" now may be a good time for this movie!
Especially as there is now a working version of Nemo's car driving around!
Not to mention the interest it gained at the Pinehurst Concours d'elegance show!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 06:16:02 pm by CPT_J_Percell » Logged

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2015, 02:00:40 am »

Definitely shows an understanding that the first was not what it should have been.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: