The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 10, 2020, 01:59:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk room  (Read 60174 times)
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Industria Proficiscor In!

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2007, 09:34:35 pm »

Suddenly Poe's "Cask of Amontillado" comes to mind..  Let's just brick them in...

"It's what a cove knows that counts, ain't it Sybil?  More than land or money, more than birth.  Information. Very flash." -Mick Radley

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire." --Fred Dibnah
arcane
Snr. Officer

Steamcrunk. WHAT?

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2007, 09:36:15 pm »

I'm sure some of the mad scientist types here could rig up some sort of memory deletion device...
sidecar_jon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2007, 09:45:21 pm »

The late Victorians favoured rather dark walls and fussy patterns, reds and greens. Look up "Pugin" as the Uber Gothic designer of much of the interior of the Houses Of Parliament...

oh and a room can never have enough "things" pickled in glass jars...big glass jars...

arcane
Snr. Officer

Steamcrunk. WHAT?

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2007, 09:49:38 pm »

You can purchase all manner of creepy things in jars here - http://www.bjwinslow.com/
sidecar_jon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2007, 10:50:03 pm »

noo make em yourself, easy enough. Epoxy putty and paint.
Tinkergirl
Brass Goggles Curator
Founders
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2007, 12:02:36 am »

If the walls have to be white, pay particular attention to your lighting - it'll make all the difference between evil hospital white walls, and warm welcoming light walls.  Make sure you can put the lights up bright when you're doing something detailed, but when relaxing playing guitar, or lounging in a chair or on the bed reading a book, a less extreme light source might do well.  Someone mentioned lanterns, but you could also have one of those green-hooded bankers lamps on a desk too.
mr gilbert flint
Officer

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2007, 12:43:05 am »

or the mad scientist light.

I'M THE DANDY SKYWAY MAN(almost adam and the ants)
member of the P.I.R.A.T.E.S council
The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain

A Weird Westerner, His Own Damn Self

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2007, 05:45:30 am »

Thats a great rolling tray, I must say

Signed,
Mr. M___ E_____ Adams
Tinkerer, Adventurer, Man of Leisure, Weird Westerner, and Cad
18--
m3ntor
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2007, 07:37:05 am »

See if you can talk your way into a colour other than white, namely grey or a light sandy colour, not unlike the background of this very forum. It's what I've got in my place, and is friendlier than white, warmer too.

Ooh, and try to get a desk of dark wood, with one of those green desk lamps. Mmm..
Copper Sulphate
Zeppelin Captain
Denmark Denmark

Teslarian Electrosteam Contraptor

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2007, 08:49:23 am »

Thats a great rolling tray, I must say

Particularly so if the glassware is partially replaced with a suitable mixture of glowing valves and copper wiring.  Grin

Love that style of room.

July 19th, 02009: Lab project delayed. Local home 'improvement' stores have apparently stopped carrying any kind of quality DIY materials... Huh
July 15th, 02009: Much progress was made today on clearing out my future laboratory, yet there is a ways to go still.
heresyoftruth
Gunner

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2007, 08:00:13 pm »

If the walls have to be white, you could add some great larger pictures in wonderful ornate frames. I find some fantastic ornate frames at second hand shops, and usually paint them to look less modern.

I am in the process of fixing my house back to 'normal' so I can sell it. I plan to be moving into an apartment so white walls are it. In the past I have used fabrics to good effect to diminish the effect, and warm up rooms.

I am also toying with using Masonite or foam core squares painted to appear to be brass with rivets. I was thinking of attaching them with those removable stick-its you get at the drug store. I just always wanted to live in a room with brass riveted walls. That way the walls stay white, and perfectly unharmed, but I get the more extreme look I wanted.

Nothing hides evidence like a stew. -Gus Pratt
fixed_expression
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2007, 08:17:55 pm »

Two-tone walls are pretty Victorian, as I understand; generally the bottom half would be wood-panneled, and the top would be painted. I'm gonna guess that wood-panneling is out of the option, but you could instead leave the top half of the walls white, and paint the bottom half a suitably Victorian colour. There are a few colours that are very typical of the time period (a quick google search produced this as the best link http://desktoppub.about.com/od/colorpalettes/l/blcpvictorian.htm ) personally I think I'd go for one of the subdued coppery-greens, and maybe a very pale almost off-white earth tone, seperated by a wooden dido rail.

Alright, that's far too much talk about interior decorating; excuse me while I go do something manly.
Peachy Carnehan
Gunner

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2007, 09:19:55 pm »

This has got to be the ultimate Steampunk room. It shows part of Tom Scherman's apartment. Tom was probably the greatest fan of the Disney film version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Once you have seen this you will never be satisfied with anything else!

S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2007, 09:24:25 pm »

Two Questions:

1) Do you know this gentleman?
2) Why isn't he on our forum telling us how he made this?!
WisconsinPlatt
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2007, 09:54:49 pm »

Im.....pressive.

Pity.  It appears the gentleman has shuffled off his mortal coil.

This page has some mentions of him and his apartment...(no pics though)

From the link...
It was this exhibit that eventually inspired Scherman to decorate the interior of his apartment as if it were a cabin on the Nautilus. Which -- if I'm remembering this story correctly -- didn't exactly thrill Scherman's landlady.

Smiley
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2007, 10:05:04 pm »

Did he leave us any design tips before he left for the afterlife?
Copper Sulphate
Zeppelin Captain
Denmark Denmark

Teslarian Electrosteam Contraptor

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2007, 11:18:16 pm »

You can almost hear the machinery in the background...

I'm stunned.  Shocked
Peachy Carnehan
Gunner

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2007, 11:56:13 pm »

Yes, I should have said late Tom Scherman. He passed away in 1995. Here is a bit from his obituary:

"Some of Tom's models were purchased by the Disney organization. Tom's renowned expertise was recognized by Walt Disney Imagineering, and in 1992 he was contracted to be the chief consultant and project leader for the Nautilus walk-through exhibit in EuroDisneyland (now called Disneyland Paris -- D.S.). Finishing the project on time and under budget brought Tom to the attention of Michael Eisner, C.E.O. of the Walt Disney organization. Mr. Eisner personally presented Tom with a specially-designed scroll, assigning him as "Chief of Fleet Operations for Discoveryland".

I am planning on building a table along the lines of Mr. Scherman's pictured desk to hold my scratch built model of a British aerial gunboat from Space: 1889. It may be a while before that project is done but when it is I will post some images of it.
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer
The world is only 80 days away.

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2007, 11:58:45 pm »

amazing...

this guy should really be someone we do more research on.

anyone know of any books or other sources from the guy himself?

“The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes. “
-Sherlock Holmes
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2007, 06:52:51 pm »

keeping the walls light eh? Well that kind of rules out the extremes of boiler plate and oak study. Looks like your going to have to go on a search in google for something a little bit more colonial. All the feel of victorian without so much of the grime. E.G.

As you can see it's the furnishings that make this style rather than sticking crap to the walls itself.

As with anything however, it is possible to go way over the top if your not careful.......

I think I just accidentally blinded myself o.Q

If your determined to stick crap to the walls then remember less is most definately more....

Lighting wise try and spread your light sources this draws the eye and warms the room more than one stark overhead light source.

as for the floor, well thats relatively easy a good rug on floor boards or tiles looks great.

Most importantly browse, have an over all idea of theme but be flexable and don't be afraid to mix a little. Asthetic aside your still the one who's got to live in it. So don't go torturing yourself over a look. It's a big thing doing a vic make over, so get lots of ideas. Get yourself a list of key words and farm them through google images and see what comes up. If you like what you see then copy it off to a folder which you can happily review one evening over a nice glass of scotch. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 01:02:08 am by Clym Angus » Logged

The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain

A Weird Westerner, His Own Damn Self

« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2007, 09:20:05 pm »

:Droool:Tongue

Ive always thought Tom Scherman's apartment was the height of a Steampunk living space Cheesy

I heard he got kicked out of there by his landlord for doing that Smiley
Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer

Scootin' through a West that Ne'er Was...

« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2007, 10:41:36 pm »

Foolish landlord!
They should have come to an agreement on what decorations would stay with the apartment, Scherman should have gotten a few months free rent, and then when he left, the landlord could have easily raised the rent!
Those are improvements, by Jove!

"I replied that only <i>lost</i> causes were of any interest to a gentleman..."
Jorge Luis Borges "The Shape of the Sword"

Official Engraver of the Imperial Stamps of the Duchy of McIntyre
CitrusFreak12
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2007, 10:47:58 pm »

I've got a semi-steampunk themed room, although it is closer to a Victorian-era gentlemen's club than anything else.
Are you at all familiar with The Adventurers' Club, in Disneyworld? Sort of like that. African masks and all sorts of global doodads. I've got my room filled with maps and african masks and shadowboxes of random knicknacks and what not.

Unfortunately I can't find many reference photos of the place, but I'll do a bit more searching. There is a photo pool on flickr here.
Professor Cumulus Isobar
Deck Hand

Professional Rainmaker and Spiritualist

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2007, 05:35:39 am »

If I recall an article I read some years ago properly, the "rivets" were actually ping-pong balls cut in half.

"I'll be happy just as long as they don't label this one. There's been some dire talk of 'steampunk' but I don't think it's going to stick."
     --William Gibson, as quoted in a 1991 interview regarding his novel The Difference Engine.
Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer

Scootin' through a West that Ne'er Was...

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2007, 05:42:59 am »

If I recall an article I read some years ago properly, the "rivets" were actually ping-pong balls cut in half.

Jolly good!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: