The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 27, 2017, 04:08:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blog is temporarily offline. See this tweet, follow @brasstech for updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk room  (Read 51304 times)
ProfDelphiniusTucker
Gunner

« on: March 06, 2007, 11:32:42 pm »

I'm getting the opportunity to redesign my room, what elements would you suggest to make a room fit for a Steampunk intellectual teenager.

Professor Delphinius S. Tucker
Professor of Technological Masteries, Religion, and History.
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer
The world is only 80 days away.

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 11:34:58 pm »

Make it a warehouse!!!

Although many would kill me, I see this as being the perfect sitting room.

“The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes. “
-Sherlock Holmes
ProfDelphiniusTucker
Gunner

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 11:47:54 pm »

Well, naturally without the paper strewn everywhere :-p. I was also thinking about the main laboratory of Alexander in The Time Machine.
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 12:04:56 am »

ducts.  They come in many stylish fashions and can be placed anywhere.  through the center of the room is preferable.  and the ceiling should be hidden behind a tangled mess of pipework, most of which drips substances from water to motor oil.  A nice chandelier light fixture should dangle down from the center.

The bedroom door should be covered with dials, knobs, switches, and other effluvia to effectively confuse anyone trying to escape as to which is the correct release for the door.

The bedframe should be of heavy mahogany with a ridiculously complicated and detailed pattern carved into it.  The bed legs should have hydraulic pistons underneath to raise your reclining body far above the heads and out of sight of inferiors (or anyone that barges into the room during private time).

There should be at least one secret escape tunnel, behind a bookcase works.  Everyone wishes there was one there, so they never think to look.

The lighting should be by carbon arc lamps, the better to blind visitors with the magic of electricity.  Power for the lamps should be supplied via steam engine or stirling engine, as should go without saying.

reanimated corpses, pickled natural curiosities, and various bubbling or sublimating chemicals in flasks should be applied around the room generously (remember to add vents for the formaldehyde vapors to exit).

If you have a computer in your room, trash it.  A person of standing corresponds only using a monogrammed fountain pen (quill and ink well is acceptable, if less prestigious).

bedside television are allowed, but only if you attempting to use the z-rays it emits to bombard the aether and create a timewarp of some kind.  Or change peoples minds so that they think DC is the way to go.

Other than a smoking jacket (+ fez) and your lab gear, you'll not need any clothes, so you won't need a dresser or other similar storage.

Tempus Rerum Imperator.

"But that's not steampunk hjghahkahjkfdsahjklfdsa!!!!!11one11" -- Anachronist

20,000 leagues below Chuck E' Cheese
ProfDelphiniusTucker
Gunner

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 12:35:00 am »

is that mostly satirical? lol
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 01:21:28 am »

partially supposed to be humorous, mostly what I would like to do to my room.

But I'm serious about the ducts.
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 01:24:06 am »

Well, naturally without the paper strewn everywhere :-p.

Pfff, I guess...  Tongue

"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

Industria Proficiscor In!

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 01:37:37 am »

I'd keep the paper strewn about, what might be written on such papers?

"It's what a cove knows that counts, ain't it Sybil?  More than land or money, more than birth.  Information. Very flash." -Mick Radley

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire." --Fred Dibnah
teawithsteph
Officer

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 01:38:23 am »

As a mother I am going to first ask some serious questions.

1. Just how extreme are you wanting or allowed to be? Find out as that will help you define the outer limits.

2. Honestly parents are often more willing to pony up the money for several high quality pieces and the decoration if they don't find it distasteful as well. So find out what your budget is and what types of things you are going to be allowed to replace or redo.

My suggestions for you after you find out the answers to the above question

1. Pick a great dramatic but not off the wall color to paint your walls.
2. Choose some decent furniture to make it look more like a study or laboratory of some kind. If money is an object Bombay Trading Co has some things that could work for less money. Avoid Things that do not look like wood (laminate furniture for example). When choosing furniture look for some things that have some sort of detailing or trim to make it look more expensive than it is.
3. For all large pieces choose something you would happily live with for some time and go for broke with the little inexpensive items.
4. Do your research. Really impress yourself and others by starting a file of pictures and furniture of the type you think you want. That way when someone says what kind of bookshelf do you want you can show them several pictures of built in ones or freestanding ones that are the sort of look you are going for.
5. Imagine yourself in the type of room you think you want and then describe it. Also think of homes you have been in that have things you liked and remember what it was you liked.

Finally good luck it can be a lot of fun to redo a room.
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral

Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 01:43:10 am »

For color, I'd suggest something in the dark red or maroon family.  That's just me, of course...
kiskolou
Snr. Officer

Subpelin Underlord

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 01:51:26 am »

Get a big old-world  map and hang it on your wall.

"There will always be a lost world for you here..." - Atterton

Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash and i am delighted to say i have no grasp of it whatsoever!
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 02:00:12 am »

getting down to brass taks, what's your budget?

ProfDelphiniusTucker
Gunner

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 02:13:23 am »

Assuming, I don't know, all I get to do is layout my design, they're remodeling the room on my last two summer camp trips- Aviation Challenge and Outward Bound: Wales- since I'll be gone for about a month. So I'm guessing around 1500-2000 USD. Also Extremes, they would prefer white walls, and at least one wall are going to be hung my guitars, so we don't have all too much more wall space, but a world map will fit perfectly, as I, albeit only 17, pride myself in my geographical worldly and historical/ philosophical knowledge (I've been to/ lived in more countries then years I've been alive, and know almost as many languages, and read at least 1000 times as many books on related subjects) as well as my scientific abilities, I posses almost a full chemistry lab. I personally own three computers, one Nintendo Wii, one stereo system, tons of books, and a few other miscellaneous odds and ends. So, working from that information, what do you all think?
teawithsteph
Officer

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 02:31:49 am »

With those constraints it should be fairly easy and simple.

White walls, guitars on 1 wall, a large antique looking world map on a wall maybe with flags for where you have been or want to go? A large attractive looking wood bookcase. Maybe a roll top desk for all your computers and such?  Then with the above I would pick another theme and continue it throughout the room. Maybe go for the world traveler look and get bedding  from the asian continent, baskets from africa, saris for your window treatments, you can kind of get the idea. It would look very much like a scholarly room with a place for your studies, your hobbies, and the things any world traveler brings home with him. Honestly the white backdrop will actually make the room hang together easier.
Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer

Scootin' through a West that Ne'er Was...

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 02:44:34 am »

oil lamps/hurricane lanterns
books
wooden boxes and chests
books
old cameras
books
strangely shaped/colored bottles
and did I mention...books?

"I replied that only <i>lost</i> causes were of any interest to a gentleman..."
Jorge Luis Borges "The Shape of the Sword"

Official Engraver of the Imperial Stamps of the Duchy of McIntyre
WisconsinPlatt
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 07:52:19 pm »

Strangely enough as I was driving to lunch I was thinking along the same line on redecorating my home office.  Decided somewhere between the "Victorian World Traveler" and "Mad Tinkerer" themes.

- Large "Antique" World Map.
- Heavy Wood Book Case (Perhaps covering the closet ala Secret Door)
- Comfy leather chair, occasional table (where better to set that G&T)

Still working on what type of desk, but that'll come.  Something large, but needs to be functional for modern day stuff.

Might rebuild my paper shredder to look more "Industrial"  I think it was the "What makes an Object look Steampunk" thread someone said "Make the object look like you could lose a finger if you don't pay attention" (or words to that affect) and that's what I'm aiming for.  But then I live in a house with no children, so I can get away with that.
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 07:56:15 pm »

I've got a good start on my own home office, I have wainscotting and crown moulding in the room, I have a tapistry of the old world map,  I have a recreation absinthe poster (art nouveau). and I have a rather steampunkish ceeling fan.

I need to find some desk with the same space as my ikea (and modern Yuck)  L-shaped desk. any suggestions for more victorian desk space?
Talyn
Gunner
Gravatar

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2007, 08:12:18 pm »

I always thought Prof. Broom's room from the Hellboy movie was awsome...
arcane
Snr. Officer

Steamcrunk. WHAT?

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 08:48:00 pm »

http://www.hiddenpassageway.com/
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2007, 09:02:46 pm »

I just finished watching Hellboy.  That room was quite spectacular.
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2007, 09:22:36 pm »

Simply put:  For The Win.

However, what stops one of the builders from knowing the secret?
arcane
Snr. Officer

Steamcrunk. WHAT?

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2007, 09:28:16 pm »

Simply put:  For The Win.

That's why you have them executed when the job is finished,
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2007, 09:30:19 pm »

that solves the matter of payment as well.  VF.
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2007, 09:30:22 pm »

looks like the doors would be easy to install yourself (the bookshel ones).

don't know how they do the switch yet....

this is totally going in the warehouse.
Simon Hogwood
Zeppelin Admiral

Adventurer & Scholar

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2007, 09:31:23 pm »

Option I: Kill them afterwards. Unless the secret room is the start of your Evil Steampunk Overlordship, probably not a good plan.  Shocked

Option II: Have the builders only build the main structure and the components of the secret passageway. Assemble the components yourself - rather like how Nemo built the Nautilus.

Option III: Censor the blueprints and trust to faulty memories.

"The laws of the land mean nothing to a man with a giant mechanical spider!" - Jake of All Trades

"The only clue to my secret obsession is one completely badass hat." - Jacob Squirrel
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: