The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 23, 2019, 06:08:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Fourth Doctor Who Thread - with a huge scarf  (Read 84429 times)
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1200 on: January 05, 2018, 08:42:09 pm »

We enjoyed the Christmas episode, thought David Bradley as the first doctor was brilliant, but agree that it would have been nice (and so do-able) to see some of the earlier companions.  Now waiting with interest to see what sort of new doctor has regenerated ...

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Crimson blue
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Adventurer

« Reply #1201 on: March 29, 2018, 10:18:01 am »

The next dr who episode isn't till autumn, i'm wondering how it's gonna change new writer, doctor and all.
There is a new logo, looks gold and interesting.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #1202 on: June 27, 2018, 05:10:16 pm »

A new clip has been leaked, plus a few stills.

As someone who "wasn't actually opposed but wasn't fully convinced" of the regeneration, it looks like a very promising start.
And I like the more rounded 'organic' Sonic as some of the recent ones have seemed too baroque and gimmicky.

And the Doctor wears goggles now, goggles are cool.   Wink

https://goo.gl/images/oGz7uS
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 05:12:19 pm by Fairley B. Strange » Logged

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #1203 on: June 29, 2018, 04:34:50 am »

......and I feel it's a little too alienly and cheap looking...
but what do I know.. Tongue

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1204 on: October 07, 2018, 08:41:32 pm »

Enjoyed the first episode ... and I really want that sonic ...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1205 on: October 07, 2018, 10:47:33 pm »

Starting here very soon ---!
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #1206 on: October 08, 2018, 02:54:16 pm »

Okay, lots to say here. Generally I liked the way they handled it but it did have some problems.

Good bits
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bad bits

I guess we will just have to wait and see. At this stage, the 13th Doctor is reminding me of the 5th Doctor.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 12:04:50 am by Sorontar » Logged

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
annevpreussen
Gunner
United States United States

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #1207 on: October 14, 2018, 04:21:34 pm »

I liked it!!! I was so worried about the new Doctor, new writers, new companions, new everything... big changes! But I think they did a good job with the first episode, and I'm excited for the next ones!

I wear goggles so you can't see when I'm staring at you.
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1208 on: October 23, 2018, 06:31:31 am »

Okay, we are now three episodes into the Thirteenth Doctor. Some have been good, some bad.

My main query is what people thought of the design of the gadgets possessed by the Villian of the Week in 'Rosa'. According to http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Rosa_(TV_story), they included:

They were looking rather steampunk to me. What did you think?
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #1209 on: October 27, 2018, 01:18:55 am »

Can i just say
I love this new doctor to qbsolute bits already.

I actually know basic clockmaking now!
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1210 on: November 07, 2018, 03:02:35 am »

I stopped watching the one with spiders.  Ugh!

I find her accent is a bit wobbly and when it gets thicker it annoys me somewhat.  Also, it may be my hearing, but do you find she speaks so fast sometimes that one cannot catch what she is saying?  I am assuming that things will smooth out a bit as time goes on.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Caledon MacHinery

« Reply #1211 on: November 07, 2018, 08:08:17 pm »

I stopped watching the one with spiders.  Ugh!

I find her accent is a bit wobbly and when it gets thicker it annoys me somewhat.  Also, it may be my hearing, but do you find she speaks so fast sometimes that one cannot catch what she is saying?  I am assuming that things will smooth out a bit as time goes on.
I didn't watch the spiders yet based on what i heard about it...

The doctor speaking so fast o cant understand it has been a constant for me ever since i started watching. The woes of the non native english speaker
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1212 on: November 19, 2018, 09:08:37 pm »

Ordered some stuff on amazon before sitting down to watch Dr Who.  .... urmmmmm .....
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1213 on: November 20, 2018, 08:06:42 pm »

Ordered some stuff on amazon before sitting down to watch Dr Who.  .... urmmmmm .....

Just resist the urge to pop...

Yours,
Miranda.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #1214 on: November 26, 2018, 05:07:27 am »

I think I might give up on this current series. The scripts are weak, and a couple truly stink, but the issue for me is that they are trying WAY TOO HARD to be PC in every episode. I mean it's actually so forced that it is obviously affecting the script writing. It's not even adding to the plot, in fact it's actually very distracting.  Undecided

While I don't hate the new Doctor, she hasn't really grown on me at all. Still waiting for the moment when the new actor / actress steps into the role and does somthing on screen that makes you go "Ahhhh....THERE'S the Doctor!". 

Also she speaks too quickly and too quietly. I can cope with one or the other, but not both. Roll Eyes

Rumours are that Jodie Whittaker and Chris Chibnall are quitting after the next series anyway.

[Server Prayer]
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1215 on: November 26, 2018, 11:53:50 am »

This week's episode was full of over-acting but at least that was acceptable, given the guest star was doing the acting (and the way the character was portrayed). What really threw me was the dialogue lines for all characters after the "truth" was revealed. They really went down hill and seemed like they were written by a first year film student. Before that, I could handle the lines. After the reveal, I cringed at every line. What happened? Did the writer call a sickie?

Sorontar
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #1216 on: November 26, 2018, 01:53:57 pm »

I love the new Doctor.
I hate the writing on the new series.
The sooner The Doctor goes 'solo' again and has to deal with some familiar old enemies the better as far as I'm concerned.

I'm still watching.
I'm not really engaged by the Scooby Gang style.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1217 on: November 26, 2018, 08:05:25 pm »

I think I might give up on this current series. The scripts are weak, and a couple truly stink, but the issue for me is that they are trying WAY TOO HARD to be PC in every episode. I mean it's actually so forced that it is obviously affecting the script writing. It's not even adding to the plot, in fact it's actually very distracting.  Undecided

While I don't hate the new Doctor, she hasn't really grown on me at all. Still waiting for the moment when the new actor / actress steps into the role and does somthing on screen that makes you go "Ahhhh....THERE'S the Doctor!". 

Also she speaks too quickly and too quietly. I can cope with one or the other, but not both. Roll Eyes

Rumours are that Jodie Whittaker and Chris Chibnall are quitting after the next series anyway.
I am so glad some-one else feels the way I do about this series. Too PC by half, poor story lines and everything in the bag, a female doctor, a black man, an asian, an old bloke, where is the Chinese community?

Piss poor so far, and yep, I could really give it up, not really interested anymore...........

Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #1218 on: November 26, 2018, 11:17:29 pm »

Too PC by half, poor story lines and everything in the bag, a female doctor, a black man, an asian, an old bloke, where is the Chinese community?

Exactly! They have chosen the current groups that are currently making the biggest headlines in the online 'social justice warrior' "oppressed" news - Women, Muslims, Asians and Black people.
Young female Asian Muslim....CHECK!
Young angsty black male with a disability (dyspraxia).....CHECK!
Self declared female feminist in lead roll previously portrayed as a male....CHECK!
And lastly an "old white guy" to appease the ageist concerns, and also to apologise for everything old white males are blamed for.....CHECK!

I'm not against political correctness per se, however the above examples being force fed down our necks is a perfect representation of THE WRONG WAY TO DO IT!  Roll Eyes
Of course anyone who points it out is instantly dismissed as "salty" (whatever that means... Huh ) and "racist" and / or "sexist". Just look at the backlash from the recent all female cast version of Ghostbusters. The film flopped not because the main cast all have ovaries, it died on it's arse because the script and acting were TERRIBLE, and for a comedy based movie, it was flatly unfunny. But you know, it was the 'Salty' misogynistic white males that were to blame, naturally...

"Political correctness" is something that should be applied as a natural understated correction, NOT as predominantly main FEATURE of a production. If you have to shout about it, you are missing the point and doing it wrong. Roll Eyes

PC issues aside, the writing is just awful. Obviously in some areas this is due to the implementation of "PC" used in the show, it naturally limits scripting if you have to fit a narrative around a particular PC trope. However this is still not an excuse for the bland stories and somewhat laughable alien foe (tooth alien, "Pting"...). Undecided

There is not a lot of love for the new series, I've never seen so many complaints about the same aspects of this show. Twitter, YouTube etc. are all full of comments about the same issues.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1219 on: November 27, 2018, 01:22:17 am »

Best way to kill it permanently is to make it very, very, bad.
Amelia Harper
Deck Hand
Wales Wales

« Reply #1220 on: November 27, 2018, 09:27:43 pm »

Well, this is disappointing.  I logged into Brass Goggles hoping to find some enthusiasm for the new series, but all I find here are complaints.
I'm rather enjoying Chris Chibnall's back to basics approach - the size of the Tardis crew and the alternating historical and SF episodes go back to the days of the First Doctor, after all.
I've also been very impressed with the historical episodes, and the choice of the periods of history to visit.
I'd never heard of Bradley Walsh before, so I'm judging his performance only on what I can see on Doctor Who, and I think he's great.
Ryan and Yaz, also perfectly fine Companions.
Jodie is also a fine Doctor, maybe with a touch of Troughton and Tennant about her.
And the viewing figures remain high, which is always a good sign.

Steampunk adventure featuring Manchester's Chinatown is now available on Smashwords!
The Ministry of Unladylike Warfare by Lesley Arrowsmith
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #1221 on: November 28, 2018, 12:22:06 am »

Personally, I find that the 13th Doctor is most like the 5th Doctor - not as whimsical as some of the others and not quite as pompous as some. She certainly does have the "question yourself and your actions" behaviour that we see more in the new seasons (Doctors 9+) than the old ones. I like how she is portrayed by Jodie and I don't mind the companions (though my family all agree that Ryan is not really needed in the stories, since it is Graham and Yaz who really get things happening).

The main issue with the episodes is that they don't have the depth or complexity we have seen in some other seasons. However, I wish we could have had the new seasons like the old seasons (as shown on the ABC) where every episode ended with a "cliffhanger". As a kid, that made me wonder what was happening next (and how many episodes were in this story). The new seasons have lost this touch, regardless of commonly having a season long theme/issue/baddie.
Amelia Harper
Deck Hand
Wales Wales

« Reply #1222 on: November 28, 2018, 07:58:22 pm »

I think you may be right about the 13th Doctor resembling the 5th Doctor.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1223 on: November 29, 2018, 12:50:56 am »

I actually met the 5th Dr, and obtained his autograph! That was a long time ago, though, in a place far, far away - well, two hours drive away, a t least!
Haven't been able to see much of the current Dr, alas, as the time it is on clashes badly with something else. Don't think Dr Who is being written for children any more, and I don't think that's altogether a good thing.
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #1224 on: May 26, 2019, 01:21:50 pm »

Netcromancing here for sharing this interesting oddity i stumble upon:
https://youtu.be/GbSF0Hvy7LI

Edit: And here some others:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNd_q95q10c
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 01:44:46 am by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: